XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

11-15-2017, 12:44 PM   #1
shark715
Captain
Rep
Drives: '11 X5 50i, '16 M235xi vert

Passenger Airbag Replacement

So at long last we get the letter that says the dealers have the parts to replace this, and that we should call to make an appointment.

My wife calls Bridgewater BMW, and is told she will have to wait a couple of weeks if she wants a loaner while the repair is being done, or they can schedule the repair earlier if she will just wait for the car, and that the repair takes about 90 minutes.

She drops the car off this morning and decides not to wait, but rather let them shuttle her to her office, which is only about a mile away.

She calls at lunch time to see if her car is ready, and is told they have not even started it, and that the repair takes about 12 hours because they have to remove the dashboard. She explains why that's a problem, and is told not only do they not have any loaner cars available, they can't even get her one from the local Enterprise franchise as they have none available either.

So now she needs to get a ride back to the dealer to pick up the car and reschedule the repair for another day when a loaner is available.

For those of you who have had this repair done, how long does it really take? Are they pulling her leg? 12 hours to replace an airbag?
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2017, 03:28 PM   #2
Lunker325
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E70 X5M / 991.2 C4S

Sounds a bit long, but likely labor intensive. I swapped the dash in my E90 M3 to an extended leather one, and removing the dash was the only way to get to the passenger side airbag. I did it in around 6 or 7 hours by myself including swapping the center console and bagging/tagging all fasteners. I wouldn't think the X5 would be that much more difficult, especially for the dealer.
      11-15-2017, 04:07 PM   #3
Poppyboy
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 X5 3.5i w/ SA Package

Garage List
1976 Triumph TR6  [10.00]
1993 Bentley Turbo R  [10.00]
2011 X5  [10.00]
I’m confused. I thought the recall was only for the driver side airbag. Is there an open recall for the passenger side as well? I did the driver side airbag recall last year.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2017, 04:52 PM   #4
shark715
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppyboy View Post
I’m confused. I thought the recall was only for the driver side airbag. Is there an open recall for the passenger side as well? I did the driver side airbag recall last year.
You can look at NHTSA’s website by Vin number and see if your car is subject to it. If you need the recall number, let me know and I’ll grab it off the paperwork for you.

By the way, Bridgewater BMW offered my wife a mini detailing to make up for her inconvenience.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2017, 06:21 PM   #5
Poppyboy
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 X5  [10.00]
Thanks. I have no open recalls, but didn’t know if a passenger side airbag recall was upcoming.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2017, 06:36 PM   #6
jiggz
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3|F15 X5 50i

Passenger side airbag is recalled on my 2012.

And my SA also advised the dash needs to be removed to replace this airbag, so to shark715, that sounds right to me (the long repair).
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2017, 08:03 PM   #7
Poppyboy
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 X5  [10.00]
Brutal. Not that I want it, but I’m curious to know why the passenger side recall doesn’t seem to be as sweeping as the driver side. I have three later model E70s in my family, and none have had it.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2017, 02:18 PM   #8
heatmizr
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E70 X5 50i M-Sport

I am wondering the same thing. Is it just random due to parts supply what make airbag goes in at the factory?
I just got mine replaced with the recall and it was DRIVER side only.

And yes, my tech also told me that the passenger takes much much longer due to dash removal.
e90 328i - sold
e36 M3 - Gone to become a track star
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2017, 10:57 AM   #9
jandref321
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2012 X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by heatmizr View Post
I am wondering the same thing. Is it just random due to parts supply what make airbag goes in at the factory?
I just got mine replaced with the recall and it was DRIVER side only.

And yes, my tech also told me that the passenger takes much much longer due to dash removal.
It's only certain vehicles that have the passenger airbag recall...same reason as the driver side, for exploding inflators throwing shrapnel in people's faces when in a front end collision. When I called the dealer they said it may take up to two days due to labor of removing the dash like everyone said.

OP, the loaner/shuttle stuff is normal for BMW in my experience. I've gone through 5 different dealerships in different states and they 1) take way longer than they initially say since they are always packed with broken vehicles 2) Rarely have loaner vehicles 3) The shuttle never arrives/leaves on time for you to get to work on time.

I've recently learned that it all depends on your relationship with BMW and the service advisor. If you spend a lot of money at the dealer and you are really friendly with your service advisor then they will ensure you get the loaner. My SA has actually gone and taken someone else's reserved loaner for me before...timing comes into play also so show up at 630am when they open.

2020 G01 X3 30e CURRENT M Sport Package
2019 Ford Raptor SuperCrew CURRENT 802A, KN Drop-in, RB Flaps, Husky Well Liners
2012 E70 X5M SOLD Stg 1+ Turbos, DPs, Velos Stg 2+, JB4, Race Cats, Bavauto Coils
2003 E46 M3 SOLD aFe CAI, AP Axleback, SSK, H&R Springs, TMS CMBR Arms, PF RTABs
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2017, 11:29 AM   #10
shark715
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jandref321 View Post
OP, the loaner/shuttle stuff is normal for BMW in my experience. I've gone through 5 different dealerships in different states and they 1) take way longer than they initially say since they are always packed with broken vehicles 2) Rarely have loaner vehicles 3) The shuttle never arrives/leaves on time for you to get to work on time.

I've recently learned that it all depends on your relationship with BMW and the service advisor. If you spend a lot of money at the dealer and you are really friendly with your service advisor then they will ensure you get the loaner. My SA has actually gone and taken someone else's reserved loaner for me before...timing comes into play also so show up at 630am when they open.
I appreciate that we are just another customer to this dealer as the only time they have seen us is for warranty work and recalls.

We understand that loaner cars may not be readily available, and we were not looking for anything special, just responding to the recall letter from BMW.

Our complaint was that when we called to make an appointment as BMW's letter asked us to, we were told this was a 90 minute repair, so just waiting for it was an alternative. We were told the same thing when we dropped off the car.

Just find it impossible to believe that by now any BMW Service Advisor would not be intimately familiar with how much time the airbag replacements take.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2017, 06:07 PM   #11
jiggz
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3|F15 X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by shark715 View Post
I appreciate that we are just another customer to this dealer as the only time they have seen us is for warranty work and recalls.

We understand that loaner cars may not be readily available, and we were not looking for anything special, just responding to the recall letter from BMW.

Our complaint was that when we called to make an appointment as BMW's letter asked us to, we were told this was a 90 minute repair, so just waiting for it was an alternative. We were told the same thing when we dropped off the car.

Just find it impossible to believe that by now any BMW Service Advisor would not be intimately familiar with how much time the airbag replacements take.
The driver's side airbag is a quick swap, perhaps the person you spoke to was thinking it was that, and not the passenger side? Or you just got bad information...sucks, but it happens. At my dealer the people scheduling appointments are not SA's - oftentimes they have no clue how long the service will take.

At least you were able to get your vehicle back before they started the work.
Appreciate 0