XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

11-05-2017, 08:42 PM   #1
coolmayank
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X5m

X5m detailing and waxing

I noticed lot of swirl marks on my x5m and picked up meguairs detailing products from Walmart. These are having good reviews on amazon and Walmart
Anyone used these products or detailing experience attaching a pic
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-05-2017, 09:38 PM   #2
ryansbmw
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 X5 35i M-Sport, 2010 535x

Not a bad kit for the price. It will do the job although I'm not sure how long that wax will last. I would look for a nice sealant to get some longevity instead of a wax. Do you have a random orbital or rotary polisher? You'll need it for the compound.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2017, 11:26 PM   #3
coolmayank
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryansbmw View Post
Not a bad kit for the price. It will do the job although I'm not sure how long that wax will last. I would look for a nice sealant to get some longevity instead of a wax. Do you have a random orbital or rotary polisher? You'll need it for the compound.
I don’t have a polisher and it’s going to be a manual effort, this is what I have and need to decide what to use
Attached Images

Last edited by coolmayank; 11-06-2017 at 11:04 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2017, 01:28 AM   #4
jandref321
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2012 X5M

glad to see stuff like this on the forum. The X5 forum is pretty small compared to other that have detailing specific sections, etc. I guess not too many enthusiasts own X5's compared to other BMWs.

I've used that compound before by hand but not the other products. The compound is ULTIMATE...I recommend using clay bar before that compound otherwise you'll have uneven wear and have to tear through some nasty stuff before actually polishing. Also, be careful with actual wax and make sure you use it out of the sun. I don't mean to insult your intelligence if you already know, just sayin'. Take before and after pictures!

2020 G01 X3 30e CURRENT M Sport Package
2019 Ford Raptor SuperCrew CURRENT 802A, KN Drop-in, RB Flaps, Husky Well Liners
2012 E70 X5M SOLD Stg 1+ Turbos, DPs, Velos Stg 2+, JB4, Race Cats, Bavauto Coils
2003 E46 M3 SOLD aFe CAI, AP Axleback, SSK, H&R Springs, TMS CMBR Arms, PF RTABs
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2017, 04:32 AM   #5
UnicornM
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M

If you simply looking to fill and mask the worse of the scratches and swirls try Poorboys Blackhole. You can put layer of protection after, but expect the fillers to wash out on your next maintenance car wash.

Personally I'd just pay to have it detailed and sealed with a ceramic sealant. Car the size of a X5 is no fun to keep having to hand polish
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2017, 08:58 AM   #6
Naz24
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: W205 AMG C63 / E70 X5M

Do you have a random orbital polisher? I recommend checking out a few youtube channels:

Obsessed Garage
AMMO NYC
Adam's Polishes

They will give you the right advice

2017 C63
2012 X5M
SOLD: 2015 M3; 2007 X3 M Sport; 2014 X3 M Sport 35i; 2004 X5 4.4i; 1994 325i
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2017, 03:53 PM   #7
coolmayank
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jandref321 View Post
glad to see stuff like this on the forum. The X5 forum is pretty small compared to other that have detailing specific sections, etc. I guess not too many enthusiasts own X5's compared to other BMWs.

I've used that compound before by hand but not the other products. The compound is ULTIMATE...I recommend using clay bar before that compound otherwise you'll have uneven wear and have to tear through some nasty stuff before actually polishing. Also, be careful with actual wax and make sure you use it out of the sun. I don't mean to insult your intelligence if you already know, just sayin'. Take before and after pictures!
. I understand the importance of washing the vehicle as no product can work on mud and dusty vehicle or applying the wax not in sun light. Unfortunately i don’t have water hose in my apartment so only source of it is self wash car joints, I go there a few times in month but want to try this waterless cleaning solution. The stuff shown in the pics is not included in the kit but I have bought a bunch of products by meguairs .

Which one of the ultimate wax do you use? Liquid or polish wax. I end up picking too much stuff as I wasn’t sure .. I can send the pics of individual items and you can suggest if it’s needed or not. I read that ultimate compound is a good abrasive. Is it possible to apply it without using any rotary/ buffing machine? I don’t have access to a power outlet so that means I will only be able to use the products that can be buffer using the applicator and microtowel

Here is the list of items I picked up

Meguairs ultimate wax liquid
Meguairs ultimate wax polish
Meguairs ultimate wax ( no buffing fast action)
Meguairs quick wax gold class for black vehicles.
Meguairs ultimate compound
Meguairs clay bar kit
Meguairs complete car kit ( includes 8 items)
Turtle clean and shine ( waterless)
Turtle wax and dry
Armor ultra shine spray wax

A few questions

It certainly seems a lot of wax products. I can probably keep the best 1-2 and return others . I need the one that can be applied using the hands without a tool?

Can ultimate compound be applied using hands without a machine ?

Is there any expiration on these products, i can’t find the dates on packaging

Any experience of using turtle [emoji217] products ? Can I use these interchangeable, though I***65039; would like to stick to a single brand so meguairs may be the choice .

My two most important questions here are the selection of wax and the products that can be applied by hand

Here is what I am thinking

Quick wash the car using self car wash
And drive back home . Let the car rest for an hour

Clean the car using the waterless meguairs

Use the clay kit

Apply the ultimate compound

Apply ultimate polish ( i don’t have it yet , so need to buy this one )

Apply ultimate wax

Again appreciate your knowledgeable inputs
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2017, 06:28 PM   #8
ryansbmw
Lieutenant
Rep

The clay kit is good to go.

Never used the fast finish before so no input there.

That's a lot of waxes and they are probably all about the same. Keep the ultimate paste wax and quick wax spray. Return the rest. Paste wax for your deeper cleaning sessions, and spray wax for this quick clean ups. If you want longer lasting shine and protection, step up to a chemical sealant from Chemical Guys or Menzurna in place of the paste wax, or layer the wax on top of it.

I've never used that compound before but I'm sure it can be applied by hand. The question is, do you have the arm strength and stamina to actually be able to consistently break it down over the entire car? My guess is no. It'll do fine if there are a few sections where you want to clean up scratches by hand but going over the entire car with intent to remove swirls and scratches, you will regret it.

I believe the ultimate polish is more of a pre-wax polish, not much different than the pre-wax cleaner in the kit. It will remove minor imperfections but not everything and brighten things up before a wax treatment. It's probably more suited for hand application as well. I would recommend getting this and returning the compound.

So keep the kit, the paste wax, quick spray wax, waterless wash and clay bar. Return the rest.

That being said, with limited access to water and electrical, my honest opinion would be to pay to have the car professionally detailed and paint corrected and then you practice maintaining it. Meguires makes decent stuff but without a buffer, you won't really be able to correct the paint and the waxes don't last all that long (couple weeks tops). Have the paint corrected, a chemical sealant applied and learn to wash a car correctly without inducing swirls, and all you need is the wax and spray wax to keep it looking great.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2017, 09:05 PM   #9
Ryan5034
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 50i

Garage List
Just adding an extra opinion here. I have used some of the products you bought.

First off I wouldn't bother with compound unless you have a machine. I've tried by hand before and it just didn't do anything. Works great with a buffer though. ( I used it with a harbor freight brand)

That said- the clay bar and wax afterwards by hand makes a big difference. Work on the interior after. I'd return the rest. I use the ultimate liquid wax I'm sure either would work.

Expiration- I'm sure they have an expiration date but I use them for many years. If you leave the top open it will dry out other then that I use it up.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2017, 04:16 PM   #10
BMW-SRT
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: C63sAMG, GLC63sAMG, x5m, 335i

I have the same issue on my x5m hood, a lot of swirls, however I am going to buy the polisher kit bellow first to do paint correction, then I also purchased F11 topcoat as a sealer after I do the paint correction. Ive already tried F11 on my other car and if you prep the car properly before you apply, it gives the car paint a really nice glossy wet look, either way this is the polisher im going to buy
https://www.amazon.com/TORQX-Random-...polisher&psc=1
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2017, 06:26 PM   #11
jiggz
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3|F15 X5 50i

I don't use any of those products so can't really comment on them. I will say, both my cousin and I use a variety of different products for detailing our BMW's - for clay we both use Griot's Garage. He recently ran out in the middle of a detail and had to buy Meguiar's at his local auto parts store and said the stuff was sh*t compared to Griot's Garage.

I don't know how bad your swirl marks are, but some of that stuff is likely not needed/won't be helpful. I'd return some of it and put the money toward an orbital buffer. As other's have stated, the X5 is a big vehicle - you're gonna wear yourself out before you ever complete it in all likelihood. Let the orbital do all the work. Not to mention the results will be much better. Keep in mind, if swirls are that bad, you'll need to use that compound, then a finisher/light polish, and a sealant (after wash and clay bar) - believe me you'll want an orbital to do all that.

You might visit the detailing specific forum over on the E9x site, tons of good stuff there which is all applicable to your X5 - http://www.m3post.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=189

If you get an orbital, the video below is definitely worth watching in terms of product application.

Lastly - if you're going to a self wash, I hope you have your own bucket, soap, and wash mitt? If you're using a their brush, it's no wonder you have swirl marks. If you go through with the detail, make sure not to use those brushes going forward or the detail will be a waste of time.

Last edited by jiggz; 11-08-2017 at 06:35 PM..
Appreciate 1
Naz241627.50
      11-08-2017, 07:04 PM   #12
ryansbmw
Lieutenant
Rep

Yea going online to places autogeek, chemical guys, detainers domain or Adams will definitely give you better products than what you can pick up at Walmart or autozone.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2017, 08:32 AM   #13
Naz24
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: W205 AMG C63 / E70 X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiggz View Post
I don't use any of those products so can't really comment on them. I will say, both my cousin and I use a variety of different products for detailing our BMW's - for clay we both use Griot's Garage. He recently ran out in the middle of a detail and had to buy Meguiar's at his local auto parts store and said the stuff was sh*t compared to Griot's Garage.

I don't know how bad your swirl marks are, but some of that stuff is likely not needed/won't be helpful. I'd return some of it and put the money toward an orbital buffer. As other's have stated, the X5 is a big vehicle - you're gonna wear yourself out before you ever complete it in all likelihood. Let the orbital do all the work. Not to mention the results will be much better. Keep in mind, if swirls are that bad, you'll need to use that compound, then a finisher/light polish, and a sealant (after wash and clay bar) - believe me you'll want an orbital to do all that.

You might visit the detailing specific forum over on the E9x site, tons of good stuff there which is all applicable to your X5 - http://www.m3post.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=189

If you get an orbital, the video below is definitely worth watching in terms of product application.

Lastly - if you're going to a self wash, I hope you have your own bucket, soap, and wash mitt? If you're using a their brush, it's no wonder you have swirl marks. If you go through with the detail, make sure not to use those brushes going forward or the detail will be a waste of time.

This.

All the way, this.

You will not be happy with your results unless you get an orbital polisher, no real swirls can be removed by hand...

2017 C63
2012 X5M
SOLD: 2015 M3; 2007 X3 M Sport; 2014 X3 M Sport 35i; 2004 X5 4.4i; 1994 325i
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2017, 09:46 AM   #14
Poppyboy
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 X5 3.5i w/ SA Package

Garage List
1976 Triumph TR6  [10.00]
1993 Bentley Turbo R  [10.00]
2011 X5  [10.00]
I’ve had this one for years. It works great, and is very popular in the industry. http://www.chemicalguys.com/Porter_C...iABEgKAJ_D_BwE
Look on EBay. You’ll need to buy the foam pads separately.

Last edited by Poppyboy; 11-10-2017 at 09:47 AM.. Reason: Typo
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2017, 01:08 PM   #15
philly42
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X5M, Z3M

Great info! I've been wanted to do some detailing on the X5M. I've clay barred and waxed the Z3M by hand a few times. Though I would much appreciate an polisher for the X5M size.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2017, 07:32 PM   #16
zcspec
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 911/Boxster/Model Y

The products you have are fine for what you're looking to accomplish. What makes the biggest difference though, is the amount of work you put in to prepping and actually performing the work. As large as the e70M is, I would give yourself a full day and take your time. I ceramic coated my F30M and wife's F25M and learned to be patient with the work.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2017, 07:37 AM   #17
coolmayank
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by zcspec View Post
The products you have are fine for what you're looking to accomplish. What makes the biggest difference though, is the amount of work you put in to prepping and actually performing the work. As large as the e70M is, I would give yourself a full day and take your time. I ceramic coated my F30M and wife's F25M and learned to be patient with the work.
complete detailing procedure on my car including wash clay compounding polishing waxing and buffing done by me in approximately 5-6 hours 😊😊
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
zcspec211.00
      11-12-2017, 03:08 PM   #18
socale39
Major
Rep
Drives: 04 545i SMG

How much time required will be dependent on the condition of the paint. I did detailing for a short period of time on the side and will say that an average car would take me around 10 hours from stripped to sealed (just paint correction). This included clay, compounding, polishing, cleaning then sealing.

Here are some examples of the work:

Appreciate 0
      11-12-2017, 06:20 PM   #19
ryansbmw
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by socale39 View Post
How much time required will be dependent on the condition of the paint. I did detailing for a short period of time on the side and will say that an average car would take me around 10 hours from stripped to sealed (just paint correction). This included clay, compounding, polishing, cleaning then sealing.

Here are some examples of the work:

Nice work. I average around 8-10 hours as well. Sometimes longer
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2017, 07:06 AM   #20
argento
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 X5M

If you're new to polishing buy a dual action buffer...much safer, but more work than an orbital. I used to do all of it bc I was addicted to the tangible results. But for the X5M I went the lazy route with paint correction and then 2X ceramic coat. Especially if garage kept, the paint is ALWAYS glossy (clean or dirty), washing requires MUCH less effort, bird droppings come off with ease...it changed my way of thinking and saves me a ton of time. FWIW.

UPDATE: I took a pic this morning, car hasn't been washed in 4 weeks, but I did wipe down (Optimum No Rinse) the hood this weekend (and wiped down the wheel spokes) since it had been outside at the dealer the previous week. Coating is hydrophobic and dries with a hard surface film. I coated the wheels and painted calipers as well. Last about 2 years per coat (we'll see)...

Name:  Nov13i.jpeg
Views: 600
Size:  95.2 KB

Name:  Nov13iii.jpeg
Views: 606
Size:  97.4 KB

Also, dyed the front bumper trim black this weekend. Been using forever black a long time and it does a great job. Pic below has one trim piece dyed and the other piece untouched.

Name:  Nov13ii.jpeg
Views: 587
Size:  76.6 KB

Last edited by argento; 11-13-2017 at 07:58 PM..
Appreciate 0