XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

02-24-2016, 11:33 AM   #1
Travis1807
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5M

Anyone with a fully bagged X5M?

I want to lower my 2013 X5M and was thinking about just bagging all four corners. I'm not sure if I would need to replace the rear bags or if I could use the OEM bags. I have never had a vehicle with all four wheels on airbags so don't know much about whats involved including the cost, positives, negatives, performance and why so many people have coilovers instead of airbags. I figure I could throw the compressor in the space under the cargo area where the spare tire is.

Anyone with a X5M who has airbags on all four wheels that could help me make an educated decision on this and provide me with any information would be much appreciated. If I don't throw airbags on my truck it will definitely get KW V3 coilovers. Just need to figure out which would fit my needs better. I def. like the look of a slammed X5M but performance is a priority for me.
      02-24-2016, 12:28 PM   #2
X Driver
Second Lieutenant
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: X5M Black Fire Edition

Performance is better with coilovers. They are not built to lower a car as much as possible, the idea behind is to get the best possible Performance.

Here is a baged "x5m"

http://www.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1134650
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2016, 12:46 PM   #3
socale39
Major
Rep
Drives: 04 545i SMG

I've read and seen research that actually suggests airbag suspension is better than coilovers. Let's not forget the ride quality is better as well. I think the reason why you don't see more people with these setups is the cost. Compared to coilovers the cost is substantially more.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2016, 01:15 PM   #4
X Driver
Second Lieutenant
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: X5M Black Fire Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by socale39 View Post
I've read and seen research that actually suggests airbag suspension is better than coilovers. Let's not forget the ride quality is better as well. I think the reason why you don't see more people with these setups is the cost. Compared to coilovers the cost is substantially more.
What do you mean with "better"?
There is no race or sports car with bags. Maybe more comfortable and adjustable from inside, that's it. Performance is better with coilovers, you find them on many racing cars.. Not just for fun..
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2016, 01:23 PM   #5
e36bmer
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Revolving door of BMWs

Accuair can bag anything

It has been done:

http://www.superstreetonline.com/fea...-2012-bmw-x5m/

Edit: I should mention that it will be very expensive. Easily double what it would cost for KW V3
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2016, 01:31 PM   #6
Dr.Duct_Mossburg
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Space Gray · E70 X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by X Driver View Post
What do you mean with "better"?
There is no race or sports car with bags. Maybe more comfortable and adjustable from inside, that's it. Performance is better with coilovers, you find them on many racing cars.. Not just for fun..
This... Bags are in no way superior in performance otherwise every race team with an unlimited budget would be running them.
      02-24-2016, 04:51 PM   #7
socale39
Major
Rep
Drives: 04 545i SMG

I'm sry but you can't possibly compare race car coilovers to those that are used on the street. Completely different settings for different reasons. Sure you can have an excellent handling coilover setup to use for the occasional track use but a race car will have a very different setup. Aside from that note I'd agree that traditional airbag setups won't out perform however the technology has come a long way and now offering coilover airbag setups with a ton of adjustability. While this technology in this format is relatively new, it is in fact finding its way on the track. The other big component to an air ride system is the management. With technology in this arena improving everyday we are now seeing smart systems that are able to automatically adjust pressures. Another thing that comes to mind if for those looking to tow. From a practical stand point leveling out the rear from tongue weight just another great benefit.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2016, 11:38 AM   #8
UnicornM
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M

OK, seeing as I have ran my X5 on stock Sport suspension, KW V3 coilovers and now Airrex struts with Airlift management - I'm in a slightly better position to be able to make fair comment.

I've updated my thread with an insight on this
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2016, 10:02 AM   #9
rennis
Captain
Rep
Drives: E70 5.0 & B5 S4

It can be done for sure. It cannot be done cheaply.
Appreciate 0