XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X6 Forums > General BMW X6 and X6M Forum

05-24-2011, 11:27 PM   #1
pha_roah
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 X6 35i

Road trip with X6 - Trip report

Last weekend, we took our X6 out for it’s first road trip since we got it two years ago.
Our objective for the trip was to take a long drive in the X6, and preferably end up somewhere nice, so we decided we would drive from Vancouver BC to the Big Sur which is South of San Francisco and for those who don’t know about it, is a really beautiful drive (See some shots here).

Here are the highlights and impressions of the drive:
  • Drove 3700 Kms in four days (Approx 2300 miles)
  • Average of 1200 kms per day (745 miles) with about 12 hours of driving
  • We never thought we would be able to do this much driving, but the car is so comfortable to drive and sit in that we were easily able to tolerate the long distances we covered. It is so much fun to drive, especially on those curvy mountain roads.
  • The range on this thing is amazing; we managed to do 750 kms on one tank with the range showing another 67kms and the fuel indicator at 2 notches. We then refuelled because we really didn’t want to push it too much.
  • Consumption went down from 14.5 L/100kms (16.2 mpg) which is the average of our normal city driving and went down to 12.2 liters/100kms (19.27 mpg)
  • I found that people tend to like to challenge me while in the X6, and they tend to be drivers of smaller compact sedans. I usually didn’t play with them until we came to an uphill section of the highway where I could engage the turbo and leave them in my dust. It’s amazing the power and acceleration of this machine, even though it’s only the 3.5, so I can imagine how much more power the 5.0 or the M versions have on these hills.
  • The handling was amazing on the curvy Big Sur road when we were coming back and no longer looking at the view, we managed to do some really good speeds around these bends and enjoyed that part more than most of the trip.
  • In 4 days in the US, we saw one other X6. On the way back, and in the last 1.5 hours approaching Vancouver we saw four other X6’s all with BC license plates. This really has confirmed to us that Vancouver is the capital of BMW’s on the west coast.
  • Rough concrete highways make a lot of noise in the car, including an annoying small rattle coming from the dash somewhere. I blame the run flat tires which definitely don’t help absorb the road vibrations. Luckily most of the highways around Vancouver and BC are smooth asphalt and so we don’t have to live with this noise.
  • It’s amazing that at high speeds in the rain, the rear window doesn’t even get wet.
  • One thing I noticed, which I had not noticed until I went into the US is that the speedometer in my car doesn’t have miles on it, it’s only in Kilometres. This was kind of a pain while driving in the US since we could only approximate our speed in miles at any point in time. Is this the same for other Canadian models? Do US models have Kilometres on them?
Over all, this is the best and most comfortable car I have driven on a road trip and definitely made the extremely long drives much more comfortable and fun.

Appreciate 0
      05-25-2011, 01:49 AM   #2
USMC562
Rep
Drives: 10' E71 50i /// 11' F10 550i

Vancouver BMW capitol of the Westcoast? Please say that was sarcasm LOL. Next time a travel a little more south to LA next time. Just saying..
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2011, 10:29 AM   #3
AndreyATC
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 Tesla Model X P90DL

Garage List
This seems like a nice long trip
Congrats!

As for US models, we do have both, mph and kmh on our speedometers
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2011, 08:10 PM   #4
pha_roah
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 X6 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMC562 View Post
Vancouver BMW capitol of the Westcoast? Please say that was sarcasm LOL. Next time a travel a little more south to LA next time. Just saying..

Will keep an eye out next time I am in LA. But Vancouver certainly has more BMWs than most other cities I have been to, I would think LA is probably similar.
Need to do some research.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2011, 06:42 AM   #5
m 135
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: Gtr,135i,M235i,XR6 turbo

Thanks for the write-up,good info.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2011, 04:05 PM   #6
Packdaddy
Packdaddy
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 X6 35i

Road Trip from Vegas to Omaha and back

My wife and I just got home from a similiar road trip (Vegas to Omaha) in our X6, and I agree with nearly everything you have posted about your trip!

We left Vegas on Sat May 14 headed to Omaha for our daughter's wedding on the 21st. (We took the 'chicken' route (I-40) because I have this fear of high elevations while driving or I thought I did!!

The total trip was 3000 miles. Our first leg took us to Amarillo where we spent the night, then continued the next day to Omaha. (We tried to split the total drive time in half, rather than pushing ourselves with a lot of night time driving.

I drove the entire time, even though my wife was anxious to give it a go. (I was having too much fun!)

I also had a few knuckleheads in Chargers and Camaros pull up beside me and challenge me, but I just smiled and ignored them!! (I would have taken them up on the offer if I was driving the 5.0 or the X6M)

Average fuel consumption was 22.3 mpg compared with our previous SUV (Cadillac Escalade with 13 mpg)

The seats are so comfortable that I was able to almost forget that I was driving. We encountered a lot of high winds along the route, but the X6 handled the buffeting like a piece of cake! The BMW engineers did a fabulous job in creating this vehicle!

Going through the mountains with elevations up to 7800 ft. I almost forgot that I was afraid of heights! The car handled like a dream as I was totally comfortable taking the curves at 80-90 mph. (I never had so much fun passing other cars and semis in my life!)

The only negative I could find is the road noise created by the runflats on the crappy stretches of interstate in Arizona and New Mexico.

The next time we drive to Omaha from Vegas, I'm going to take the northern route through Utah and Wyoming. Besides, that route is shorter, but now that I really love driving this X6, I am looking forward to the experience.
Appreciate 0