XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X6 Forums > General BMW X6 and X6M Forum

07-10-2008, 08:51 PM   #1
akraptor
Lieutenant
Romania
Rep
Drives: 35 D

The horror of waiting for the 35d!! Is it worth it!?

Just talked to a friend who works for Bavaria Motors, official Bimmer dealer in Romania.

He said that a 35d will only get me 3 seconds less in acceleration on highway (vs. 30d) but more torque and grunt when needing an abrupt passing on curves. To me, which I am still driving the Mazda 6 2 liter 120 HP, the past weekend experience with driving the Touareg of 225 HP, was a revelation, sort of. .that at 225 HP you cannot feel the speed at 120 MPH. .but maybe I cannot feel it anymore, doesn't mather the cage, because I am also a biker, and ride a Yamaha Roadstar Warrior and a Suzuki GSXR 750. So,if I decide to order a 30d, I must wait 3-4 months, if I want to order a 35d, I have to wait till 2009.. I might save some gas money if I get the 30d, but if I need 3 years to clear that (as Peter from Slovakia said on the MPG topic) dunno. . . But since diesel is more expensive in Romania than gas, as in other EU countries, I wonder if it's worth the money. . even though there's a 3-5 liter saving on the diesel. . I got too used to the Mazda. .700 miles authonomy on a full tank. .and also drive a Smart. .and it's so much fun. .so please help me make up my mind. . it should be a 30d or a 35d. .or a 35 i?!? I only plan to use the X6 on weekends out of city, and at night, around town. .for the HP inside. . Bumper to bumper will happen, in daylight, but I hate humiliating the X6 performance capability with the miserable daylight urban driving. .
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2008, 09:51 PM   #2
JGQ
Registered
Rep
Drives: FX35 (soon X5 35d or X6 35i)

I'm not sure why is the delay on X6 35d... is it possible they are having engine shortage due to the X5 and 3 series diesel launch in the US?

Anyways, if you can't wait for the 35d, I would think the 35i is your best choice. I am not familiar with 30d, but it sounds underpowered. Why spend all that money to regret it just in few months when the 35d is out!
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2008, 06:41 AM   #3
Daniel B
X6 Driver
Sweden
Rep
Drives: BMW X6 3.5D

Quote:
Originally Posted by akraptor View Post
Just talked to a friend who works for Bavaria Motors, official Bimmer dealer in Romania.

He said that a 35d will only get me 3 seconds less in acceleration on highway (vs. 30d) but more torque and grunt when needing an abrupt passing on curves. To me, which I am still driving the Mazda 6 2 liter 120 HP, the past weekend experience with driving the Touareg of 225 HP, was a revelation, sort of. .that at 225 HP you cannot feel the speed at 120 MPH. .but maybe I cannot feel it anymore, doesn't mather the cage, because I am also a biker, and ride a Yamaha Roadstar Warrior and a Suzuki GSXR 750. So,if I decide to order a 30d, I must wait 3-4 months, if I want to order a 35d, I have to wait till 2009.. I might save some gas money if I get the 30d, but if I need 3 years to clear that (as Peter from Slovakia said on the MPG topic) dunno. . . But since diesel is more expensive in Romania than gas, as in other EU countries, I wonder if it's worth the money. . even though there's a 3-5 liter saving on the diesel. . I got too used to the Mazda. .700 miles authonomy on a full tank. .and also drive a Smart. .and it's so much fun. .so please help me make up my mind. . it should be a 30d or a 35d. .or a 35 i?!? I only plan to use the X6 on weekends out of city, and at night, around town. .for the HP inside. . Bumper to bumper will happen, in daylight, but I hate humiliating the X6 performance capability with the miserable daylight urban driving. .
Dont know about the 3.0d but i got an 3.5d and i just love the engine!
I had an x5 4,4 -05 before my x6 but the 3.5d is more powerful than the v8!
I would wait for the 3.5, you will not regret it!
The feeling when the twin turbo push that powerful diesel horses is so nice!
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2008, 06:46 AM   #4
akraptor
Lieutenant
Romania
Rep

Hey Daniel, what's you MPG with the 35d?!?
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2008, 08:06 AM   #5
Daniel B
X6 Driver
Sweden
Rep

Quote:
Hey Daniel, what's you MPG with the 35d?!?
Only got 2000 km with the car so i think it will decrease a little.
But in city and with pretty hard driving (its sooo fun to hit the pedal in this beast ) i get 1.3 litre /10km
In highway about 0.8 litre /10km. speed about 120 km/h

Dont know how it is to import from sweden to you but our dealers got some demo cars for sale.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2008, 09:19 AM   #6
PeTo_H
Private
Slovakia
Rep
Drives: '99 528iA, X6 35i on the way

Quote:
so please help me make up my mind. . it should be a 30d or a 35d. .or a 35 i?!? I only plan to use the X6 on weekends out of city, and at night, around town. .for the HP inside. . Bumper to bumper will happen, in daylight, but I hate humiliating the X6 performance capability with the miserable daylight urban driving. .
I would say again 35i, as you will not drive it a lot as you write, so really the price difference of both models will be cleared after 80.000 km or so as calculated on the bases of prices in Slovakia:
35i starts at 59.100 Euro
30d starts at 57.950 Euro
35d starts at 61.650 Euro

Now, 30d is a good engine, but if you just love to go fast, well, then every HP is needed So from the diesels 35d has the point for you. But as you talk about the way you will be using it, ans when you look at the prices and waitlist, then all of a sudden 35i makes sense the most And I need to mention, that the sound of 35i would be way better than of 35d. I have heard both engines, and regarding sound I can just say that petrol is petrol, diesel would always be a tractor-like sounding engine...
If I were you, 35i. Definitely.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2008, 03:19 PM   #7
Daniel B
X6 Driver
Sweden
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeTo_H View Post
I would say again 35i, as you will not drive it a lot as you write, so really the price difference of both models will be cleared after 80.000 km or so as calculated on the bases of prices in Slovakia:
35i starts at 59.100 Euro
35d starts at 61.650 Euro

Now, 30d is a good engine, but if you just love to go fast, well, then every HP is needed So from the diesels 35d has the point for you. But as you talk about the way you will be using it, ans when you look at the prices and waitlist, then all of a sudden 35i makes sense the most And I need to mention, that the sound of 35i would be way better than of 35d. I have heard both engines, and regarding sound I can just say that petrol is petrol, diesel would always be a tractor-like sounding engine...
If I were you, 35i. Definitely.
I agree with you. But the sound from the 3.5d when you drive away is real nice, dont sound like a diesel... Well...when you stand still it does ... I have not drive the 35i but im sure its pretty nice And as you say, there is no money to save if you dont drive much.
Here in Sweden diesel is getting more expensive than the gas! So yes test drive the 35i.
But the tractor yhing...hmm
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2008, 04:05 PM   #8
xDrive50i
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: '09 750i individual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel B View Post
I agree with you. But the sound from the 3.5d when you drive away is real nice, dont sound like a diesel... Well...when you stand still it does ... I have not drive the 35i but im sure its pretty nice And as you say, there is no money to save if you dont drive much.
Here in Sweden diesel is getting more expensive than the gas! So yes test drive the 35i.
But the tractor yhing...hmm
HEHE you guys are too funny ... didn't know that BMW made tractors too

in BMW speak that would probably be an Xtractor .... hahaha
2009 750i individual | Citrin Black Metallic | Platinum Merino Extended Leather | BMW Individual Composition Package (includes Sport Package) | Dynamic Handling Package | Multimedia Package | Technology Package | Executive Package
http://www.7post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=234432
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2008, 07:41 PM   #9
akraptor
Lieutenant
Romania
Rep

Hey Peter:

Are these prices in Slovakia:

"35i starts at 59.100 Euro
35d starts at 61.650 Euro"

with VAT included?!

Because in Romania 30d is 48k (naked) less VAT
and 35d is 52k (same info as above).
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2008, 05:33 AM   #10
JOHNBMWM5
Live for today tomorrow never comes
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2022 LCI Marina Bay Blue/ Smok

Question

Quote:

You do NOT need the diesel, you are not doing anyway near enough miles to cover extra cost, buy the 35i, and you will enjoy it every bit as much.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2008, 11:58 AM   #11
chuck92103
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnbmw6 View Post
You do NOT need the diesel, you are not doing anyway near enough miles to cover extra cost, buy the 35i, and you will enjoy it every bit as much.
That is sure true hear in the U.S.

I have seen reports of the MPG the diesel gets in Europe. When I removed 20% for the Imperial gallon conversion, and another 10-20% for the additional cost of diesel in the U.S., and the several thousand dollars more for the diesel engine, I realized there would never be a win. It would actually cost me more in the long run.
      07-12-2008, 10:09 PM   #12
akraptor
Lieutenant
Romania
Rep

Call me stupid, but I am an almost total failure in maths. . In school I was good at geography, music, sports, and ALL non-engineering related courses.

Can someone explain to me why diesel is getting more expensive than gas? Is it pollution?

Can someone convince me to buy a 35i instead of a d? I know the d is saving about 5 liters in consumption, with respect to MPG. . Just tell me why it's not worth it to buy a diesel (putting aside the better MPG, including the bigger price tag for diesel, and the 80,000 km redemption period). I already own a diesel, and love the MPG, the rattling of the diesel at idle is the only thing that bugs me (and Mazda 6 is very quiet, diesel-wise, really). Just explain me the 80,000 km return on investment. . .or levelling out. .I have some really family problems that deplete even more my lifetime pathetic abilities to do the right maths. .

PS: I would love to get sport exhaust on the X6. . .But it won't work on diesel. . .
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2008, 12:31 PM   #13
PeTo_H
Private
Slovakia
Rep

Quote:
Hey Peter:

Are these prices in Slovakia:

"35i starts at 59.100 Euro
35d starts at 61.650 Euro"

with VAT included?!

Because in Romania 30d is 48k (naked) less VAT
and 35d is 52k (same info as above).
Yup, there include 19% VAT. But luckily, there is a so called N1 version that allows you to deduct VAT when you buy in on your company. That's my case
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2008, 03:10 PM   #14
PeTo_H
Private
Slovakia
Rep

Quote:
Can someone explain to me why diesel is getting more expensive than gas? Is it pollution?
Can someone convince me to buy a 35i instead of a d? I know the d is saving about 5 liters in consumption, with respect to MPG. . Just tell me why it's not worth it to buy a diesel (putting aside the better MPG, including the bigger price tag for diesel, and the 80,000 km redemption period). I already own a diesel, and love the MPG, the rattling of the diesel at idle is the only thing that bugs me (and Mazda 6 is very quiet, diesel-wise, really). Just explain me the 80,000 km return on investment. . .or levelling out. .I have some really family problems that deplete even more my lifetime pathetic abilities to do the right maths. .

PS: I would love to get sport exhaust on the X6. . .But it won't work on diesel. . .
akraptor,
ok, I will try to explain all to you
1 - diesel getting more expensive than gas: simple market rules of supply and demand influencing the prices. More people buy diesel cars=demand for diesel fuel is raising and therefore its price is going up. And in the same time, logically, demand fot gas is going down and therefore its price is going down. It is as easy as that. Well, plus some speculations on the market that influence the prices, but mostly the laws of supply and demand influence the prices.
2 - Yes, in you case I would very much like to convince you to buy 35i for several reasons: 1 - 35d is more expensive and you will not profit from its better MPG or l/km as you (regarding to you posts) will not drive a lot with it; 2 - to keep it simple diesel is worth buying if you drive 25 - 30 000 km a year, what you do not; 3 - sound, sound and again sound, BMW diesles sound good these days but still, petrol is petrol and the sound of 306 hp 6-cylinder engine is just perfect (drove it in 135i coupe and the sound is just ); 4 - 80.000 km return of investment - basically, the price difference of 35d and 35i will be payed off only after driving for cca. 80.000 km as I have calculated by the prices in Slovakia. Every 100 km you "save" around 3 liters in consuption when you compare better diesel consumption to a worser petrol engine consumption. Multiply (x) 3 by the price of petrol in your country, and get what you "save" in terms on money on the consumption of diesel model. Now calculate the price difference of 35d and 35i, and divide (/) it by "saving" that you have calculated in the previous step. And finally, multiply it by 100 and you get an approximate (again if anybody tries to argue-an approximate) number of kilometers by which the price difference of each model will be payed off (from which you will actually will stars saving money buy owning a diesel-tractor car ). Clear? I hope so.; 5 - sport exhast possible on 35i, 35d will always sound NOT like a sports SUV. Just to give you an example, look here for s diesel 535d with Hamann exhaust
and now look at this 335i with Superspring exhaust
, and some other
6 - waitlist for 35d - one more reason why to choose 35i. Again the laws of supply and demand, more people buy 35d engines in X6 and as well in X5, so there are not enough capacities to produce so much engines, and therefore petrol engines such as 35i are available in shorter time period.;

Now I honestly think that you have some things clear. I was in the same situation as you, just with the difference that I drive a petrol 528iA at the moment with 315.000km on the odometer (I am the first owner and own it from 2000). After some thoughts, same as your, I have made it clear for me that 35i is the one for me. Price, sound, availability persuaded me. I hope that they will persuade you as well.
Peter
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2008, 04:33 PM   #15
akraptor
Lieutenant
Romania
Rep

Peter, thanks for the time to explain me all this. I will ask tomorrow the local dealer about delivery time for the 35i.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2008, 07:07 PM   #16
chuck92103
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i

China is buying a lot of diesel fuel as they expand. They are using coal for electric generation, but need diesel for trucking, equipment, etc.

Also, here in the U.S. the new diesel formulation to remove suphur costs more to produce.

Oil is in demand so diesel and gas are going up.

As more folks by hybrids, nickel and lithium is going up.

If we build all electric cars, they will go up in general.

We cannot rely on any one source of energy as there is not one that can fuel the world. It has to be a combination of many energy sources. Coal, natural gas, oil, nuclear, etc.

Batteries are not an energy source. They are simply storage containers.
      07-13-2008, 07:45 PM   #17
Palbay
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck92103 View Post
China is buying a lot of diesel fuel as they expand. They are using coal for electric generation, but need diesel for trucking, equipment, etc.

Also, here in the U.S. the new diesel formulation to remove suphur costs more to produce.

Oil is in demand so diesel and gas are going up.

As more folks by hybrids, nickel and lithium is going up.

If we build all electric cars, they will go up in general.

We cannot rely on any one source of energy as there is not one that can fuel the world. It has to be a combination of many energy sources. Coal, natural gas, oil, nuclear, etc.

Quote:
Batteries are not an energy source. They are simply storage containers
Very good point! PalBay
      07-14-2008, 08:11 AM   #18
slipknot
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: omega 2.5

take 35i if ur not driving too much , if ur gonna use ur Xer only fo weekends and driving and showing off around and on streets then 35i , nuff said
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2008, 02:04 PM   #19
PeTo_H
Private
Slovakia
Rep

Quote:
Peter, thanks for the time to explain me all this. I will ask tomorrow the local dealer about delivery time for the 35i.
You're welcome I was in the same dilemma so I wanted to make it easier for you.
Appreciate 0