XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X6 Forums > General BMW X6 and X6M Forum

01-07-2009, 08:11 PM   #23
archwerks
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: x6 3.5i VR

Runnung Boards

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmlgc View Post
+1 agree 100% wish the running boards were not there , don't serve much purpose and make wearing nice clothes a challenge.

Hint to BMW: next time you come out with a new model get some of the "suits" to take it out the day when it's raining.
Can't they be taken off?
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2009, 09:23 PM   #24
dmlgc
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X6MC - 335D

Quote:
Originally Posted by archwerks View Post
Can't they be taken off?
Good question , anyone with access to diagrams know ?
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2009, 06:38 PM   #25
xDrive50i
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: '09 750i individual

Here you go:

Name:  X6 Cover Wheel Arch Footboard.jpg
Views: 540
Size:  313.8 KB
2009 750i individual | Citrin Black Metallic | Platinum Merino Extended Leather | BMW Individual Composition Package (includes Sport Package) | Dynamic Handling Package | Multimedia Package | Technology Package | Executive Package
http://www.7post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=234432
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2009, 11:16 AM   #26
Suzie's Dad
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: ML550/AMG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzie's Dad View Post
I am buying an ML550 for about $20,000 less than I would have paid for an X6 50i.
And while X6 prices creep up, Mercedes has just dropped the base price of the ML550 in Canada by $5,600! The difference just keeps getting bigger...
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2009, 03:19 PM   #27
dmlgc
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
And while X6 prices creep up, Mercedes has just dropped the base price of the ML550 in Canada by $5,600! The difference just keeps getting bigger...

Out of curiousity could you list what options you were going to get for/on both so I can see the apples to apples comparison of a $20k dufference. How much horsepower does a ML550 AMG produce ?
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2009, 09:40 PM   #28
xDrive50i
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Don't think they offer a ML550 AMG in Canada. Besides I think the nomenclature would be ML55 AMG since AMG always seems to drop the last digit from the standard models.

There are the ML models available in Canada:

ML320 BlueTEC 4MATIC
ML350 4MATIC
ML550 4MATIC
ML63 AMG

I was looking at the ML63 AMG as a potential replacement for the X6 xDrive50i...
2009 750i individual | Citrin Black Metallic | Platinum Merino Extended Leather | BMW Individual Composition Package (includes Sport Package) | Dynamic Handling Package | Multimedia Package | Technology Package | Executive Package
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2009, 10:23 PM   #29
dmlgc
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by xDrive50i View Post
Don't think they offer a ML550 AMG in Canada. Besides I think the nomenclature would be ML55 AMG since AMG always seems to drop the last digit from the standard models.

There are the ML models available in Canada:

ML320 BlueTEC 4MATIC
ML350 4MATIC
ML550 4MATIC
ML63 AMG

I was looking at the ML63 AMG as a potential replacement for the X6 xDrive50i...

well since his avatar has "Drives: ML550/AMG on order." I assume that ws the same ML550 he was talking about.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2009, 12:38 AM   #30
archwerks
Captain
Canada
Rep

ml550 vs x6

Quote:
Case of supply vs demand.
Dealers in Vancouver cannot get enuf x6's to sell so no discounts. They have to bring in demos fr. Alberta!
Despite some issues with x6's as posted here on this & perhaps other posts, enuf people still want the x6.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2009, 10:52 AM   #31
Suzie's Dad
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Don't think they offer a ML550 AMG in Canada.
The ML550 in the US comes standard with the AMG body kit and wheels. In Canada, those are an option which I included. Hence "ML550/AMG". The only true AMG in the ML line is the ML63, which is around the same price as an X6 50i but with over 500 HP and a ride that is somewhat too choppy for my taste. The X6M will compete with it.

I originally ordered my X6 50i with every option except rear entertainment. The price was around $102,000 Cdn. with a very small discount from the dealer -- maybe $2,500. I have ordered the ML also loaded except for rear entertainment. My negotiated price was $83,000, now further reduced by the recent price drop. The X6 I ordered had adaptive steering and HUD that the ML lacks. My ML has leather dash which the X6 doesn't offer in Canada. Otherwise they are very, very close in specs across the board. The ML has 21-inch wheels vs 20-inch on the X6 I ordered. The '09 Mercedes Comand system is slightly less bad than iDrive, and includes a hard disk, but the new iDrive that is coming will even that up. The ML develops 385 HP vs the X6's 405, with less torque, but it is a few hundred pounds lighter, so performance is close -- maybe half a second slower to 60. The X6 will, of course, run away from the ML on twisty roads, but I am of an age at which I would rather have the ML's softer ride with its full air suspension. Looks are subjective, but I like the looks of both vehicles.

archwerks: I'm not sure about the "supply and demand" comment -- '09 MLs are sold out through April. They and the new C series are about the only models of Mercedes that haven't tanked, thanks mainly to the new Bluetec diesel engine which is very much in demand. I have been waiting four months for my ML550 and am unlikely to get it before late February. Personally I am puzzled by Mercedes' decision to drop Canadian prices. US prices have not dropped, the Canadian dollar has dropped against the US dollar and the euro, and yet down come Canadian prices. Hey, I'm not complaining, just curious!
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2009, 11:51 AM   #32
xDrive50i
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
The ML550 in the US comes standard with the AMG body kit and wheels. In Canada, those are an option which I included. Hence "ML550/AMG". The only true AMG in the ML line is the ML63, which is around the same price as an X6 50i but with over 500 HP and a ride that is somewhat too choppy for my taste. The X6M will compete with it.

I originally ordered my X6 50i with every option except rear entertainment. The price was around $102,000 Cdn. with a very small discount from the dealer -- maybe $2,500. I have ordered the ML also loaded except for rear entertainment. My negotiated price was $83,000, now further reduced by the recent price drop. The X6 I ordered had adaptive steering and HUD that the ML lacks. My ML has leather dash which the X6 doesn't offer in Canada. Otherwise they are very, very close in specs across the board. The ML has 21-inch wheels vs 20-inch on the X6 I ordered. The '09 Mercedes Comand system is slightly less bad than iDrive, and includes a hard disk, but the new iDrive that is coming will even that up. The ML develops 385 HP vs the X6's 405, with less torque, but it is a few hundred pounds lighter, so performance is close -- maybe half a second slower to 60. The X6 will, of course, run away from the ML on twisty roads, but I am of an age at which I would rather have the ML's softer ride with its full air suspension. Looks are subjective, but I like the looks of both vehicles.

archwerks: I'm not sure about the "supply and demand" comment -- '09 MLs are sold out through April. They and the new C series are about the only models of Mercedes that haven't tanked, thanks mainly to the new Bluetec diesel engine which is very much in demand. I have been waiting four months for my ML550 and am unlikely to get it before late February. Personally I am puzzled by Mercedes' decision to drop Canadian prices. US prices have not dropped, the Canadian dollar has dropped against the US dollar and the euro, and yet down come Canadian prices. Hey, I'm not complaining, just curious!
SD, you posted that the prices for the MBs have dropped, is that at the dealers?
I haven't seen the prices drop on the website yet or is that only on select models?

The leather dashboard is available in Canada on the X6 but ONLY as a special order item.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2009, 01:10 PM   #33
Suzie's Dad
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
SD, you posted that the prices for the MBs have dropped, is that at the dealers?
I haven't seen the prices drop on the website yet or is that only on select models?

The leather dashboard is available in Canada on the X6 but ONLY as a special order item.
The Canadian Mercedes website shows the lower prices for the MLs. The base 550, for example, listed at $75,300 when I ordered and is now shown at $69,700. I don't know what discounts Mercedes dealers generally give, but mine lopped off about $5,000 on top of Mercedes 'incentives'.

According to my dealer, the leather dash for the X6 can only be ordered as a BMW Individual item that adds more than $4,500 to the cost. On the Mercedes it cost $1,400. (In fairness, the "leather" on the Mercedes dash is actually Artico Leather -- ie: synthetic -- same as on the doors. The rest of the leather inside is real leather. In the ML63, all the leather is real, including on the dash where it is standard.)

I'm not trying to 'sell' MLs here, BTW, just responding to an earlier comment about the price difference. It is an X6 forum and I am an X6 fan -- sorry if this discussion has sort of hijacked the thread. But not surprisingly I am happy that my negotiated ML price just dropped by $2,600 a few weeks before I take delivery.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2009, 01:36 PM   #34
LANDLORD
Turbo Engines are Fun
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 X6M Monte Carlo Blue

CHECK OUT THIS VIDEO, ML63 AMG VS. JEEP SRT8:

Appreciate 0
      01-12-2009, 03:36 AM   #35
Deda
Major General
Croatia
Rep
Drives: BMW M5 comp

WOW,what a start for SRT!
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2009, 10:25 AM   #36
xDrive50i
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

I only listened to it with very low volume setting. But I think just before they took off, that one of them was bringing up the RPMs... Wonder if that was the SRT or the ML....

Anyway, this is getting way of topic

Appreciate 0
      01-12-2009, 03:18 PM   #37
Suzie's Dad
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Anyway, this is getting way of topic

My bad. Sorry, dmlgc.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2009, 03:24 PM   #38
xDrive50i
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
My bad. Sorry, dmlgc.
SD, That's ok, happens to all of us. Well I kind of helped to get it off topic too

It's just interesting how this thread went from 'What you like or don't like about your X6' to options on the MB ML series
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2009, 06:07 AM   #39
Mr_X6
Mr_NYC
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 X6 Black on Black

Another thing i dislike about the X6 is im worried about the build quality of this car. Im from NY had a lot of snow for these past couple weeks. My car was covered in snow. After the snow melted i noticed i had a big hole under my headlights. The cover for my headlight washers came off with the snow when it melted. Unbelievable...its been three weeks and it still hasnt been fixed yet. I wake up every morning and have to look at the car wit a big hole in the front.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2009, 06:22 AM   #40
branko
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 530d, X6 3.5d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_X6 View Post
I wake up every morning and have to look at the car wit a big hole in the front.
Can you please post pictures ??
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2009, 10:01 AM   #41
JOHNBMWM5
Live for today tomorrow never comes
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2022 LCI Marina Bay Blue/ Smok

Quote:
Another thing i dislike about the X6 is im worried about the build quality of this car. Im from NY had a lot of snow for these past couple weeks. My car was covered in snow. After the snow melted i noticed i had a big hole under my headlights. The cover for my headlight washers came off with the snow when it melted. Unbelievable...its been three weeks and it still hasnt been fixed yet. I wake up every morning and have to look at the car wit a big hole in the front.
Ice had formed under the "Washer Cover" and when the temp rose it burst it off, common on things of that nature in the place it's in with low temps, not a fault of the car, we had until today -8/-10 deg for the last 3 weeks, not a bit of trouble with the car at all, and drove like stink as usual, just ignored the temp and icey roads, love it.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2009, 08:04 PM   #42
dmlgc
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
SD, That's ok, happens to all of us. Well I kind of helped to get it off topic too

It's just interesting how this thread went from 'What you like or don't like about your X6' to options on the MB ML series

Ya I helped too, so bad on me too. But i am glad folks posting.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2009, 10:30 PM   #43
archwerks
Captain
Canada
Rep

x6 Build Quality

Quote:
From Detroit concept car to launch took what? 2yrs(?).
May be they didn't have time/forgot to do Arctic winter test!
Is the # of problems count / vehicle comparable to other models from the same plant? If it is higher per x 6 model only, then it is just 1st year assembly issues particular to x6 not x5 etc. from the same plant.

Would be interested in JD Powers' #'s on the x6 if someone have access to them.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2009, 11:12 PM   #44
dmlgc
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I think that for most of us that have had problems it doesn't have to do with the build quality (which is very good) but with the dealers not having the ability to fix things without multiple trips to the them. I don't know if the dealers were caught off guard or BMW misjudged how popular the car would be initially.

I have confidence in my X6 and drive it like a BMW is meant to driven. I am sure the states of california/nevada/arizona would not be thrilled to know that I treat stretches of their roads like the Autobahn.

I would assume that since the plant is back east (I'm a california kid,everything east of arizona is back east) BMW would have done some winter testing. We all know from the spy pictures they tested it in the Mojave desert.
Appreciate 0