XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

01-14-2015, 08:53 AM   #1
naser075
Registered
Rep
Drives: bmx x5

x5 e70 2008 INNER TAIL LIGHT on trunk flickering

hi,
i have a issue with my x5 e70 2008 INNER TAIL LIGHT on trunk flickering,
I called the stealer and they said i have to change the hole light for some reason .... does not make sense to me ....
Any1 know if i can just simply change the light bulb or is there fix for this as i think it is a LED.
Also if any1 knows about a repair kit or maybe knows what has to be repaired.
And before anything i have never seen any water dripping from those lights
**here is a video i posted on youtube as to what it does exactly**:
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2015, 09:31 AM   #2
Poppyboy
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 X5 3.5i w/ SA Package

Garage List
1976 Triumph TR6  [10.00]
1993 Bentley Turbo R  [10.00]
2011 X5  [10.00]
Since it's LED, I doubt there's any bulb. It's likely a detached soldering joint on the LED circuit board. If you're unable to find anything on this through forum searches, I recommend learning about soldering and seeing if you can fix it yourself. Radio Shack has all the supplies you'll need.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2015, 02:50 PM   #3
naser075
Registered
Rep
Drives: bmx x5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppyboy View Post
Since it's LED, I doubt there's any bulb. It's likely a detached soldering joint on the LED circuit board. If you're unable to find anything on this through forum searches, I recommend learning about soldering and seeing if you can fix it yourself. Radio Shack has all the supplies you'll need.

appreciate all the help and answers....
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2015, 03:57 PM   #4
smyles
Major
Rep
Drives: '21 X5

Water damage.
If you manage to disassemble and fix it, make sure you silicon all around the edges (and same for all other tail lights while at it).
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2015, 03:59 PM   #5
Poppyboy
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 X5 3.5i w/ SA Package

Garage List
1976 Triumph TR6  [10.00]
1993 Bentley Turbo R  [10.00]
2011 X5  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by naser075 View Post
appreciate all the help and answers....
You're welcome. I had similar repairs for my Corvette's dim climate control display and XK8's ABS module. The repair itself is relatively simple. The hardest part is getting the part out and disassembled.

Last edited by Poppyboy; 01-14-2015 at 04:01 PM.. Reason: Typo
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2015, 12:34 PM   #6
pughmat
Rep
Drives: 2009 X5 4.8

Changing the same light this weekend

I had that same light go out a couple of weeks ago and it finally registered to the control messages just a couple of days ago which I thought was strange. After asking around (and not having any soldering experience) I ordered a new light from Amazon. I plan to install it this weekend based on watching the youtube video for water in the taillights. FYI - The part I ordered did not come with the newer style gaskets they have now so I would either order those as well if needed.

You may be able to keep yours based on the other suggestions. Funny thing about mine, I actually have water in the other inner taillight right now, but it's not out. I do plan to seal them both though with the new gaskets and maybe some silicone as well as suggested earlier.

Had I know all of these were going to go bad when my right side light failed and busted, I would have upgraded all to the LCI.

Good Luck.

Matt
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2015, 08:11 PM   #7
pughmat
Rep
Drives: 2009 X5 4.8

Finished

I just completed replacing the left side light and adding the newer foam gasket to the right side. The job took about 90 minutes, but at least 30 minutes of that was cleaning off the goo on the right tail light assembly since I wanted it clean before installing the new gasket. I spent about 20 minutes cleaning the goo of off both side of the car itself Other than that, pretty straight forward and easy and I am not a car guy. Bought the part online for $70. Bought the gasket from the local dealer since it didn't come together. I also paid $5 for a trim kit on amazon that was worth every single penny to get the trim panel off.

Matt

Quote:
Originally Posted by pughmat View Post
I had that same light go out a couple of weeks ago and it finally registered to the control messages just a couple of days ago which I thought was strange. After asking around (and not having any soldering experience) I ordered a new light from Amazon. I plan to install it this weekend based on watching the youtube video for water in the taillights. FYI - The part I ordered did not come with the newer style gaskets they have now so I would either order those as well if needed.

You may be able to keep yours based on the other suggestions. Funny thing about mine, I actually have water in the other inner taillight right now, but it's not out. I do plan to seal them both though with the new gaskets and maybe some silicone as well as suggested earlier.

Had I know all of these were going to go bad when my right side light failed and busted, I would have upgraded all to the LCI.

Good Luck.

Matt
Appreciate 0