XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

06-20-2016, 09:16 PM   #45
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Miata, Cayenne, Model 3, F350

Quote:
Originally Posted by natedog7700 View Post
Balance is good. But you might be someone who wants to work for X amount of months/years to achieve a wild goal of yours!
Appreciate 1
      06-21-2016, 10:47 AM   #46
KingOfJericho
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Yes

Garage List
2010 135i Coupe  [5.26]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayMoWe335 View Post
I doubt it...if you're ballin, you at least get a 35 variant and not a 1 or 2 series. A 228i sucks.
This mentality is why most Americans are financially doomed.

2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee High Altitude Hemi | 2010 S4 Sold | 2010 BMW 135i Retired | 2006 Lotus Exige Sold
Appreciate 2
      06-21-2016, 02:08 PM   #47
Maestro
Major
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Sedan, 2021 X3

This reminds me when I lived in the Silicon Valley and the cost to buy a house in the valley. The choose was a small house, no yard, high mortgage payment, short commute and no money in your pocket. The other choose was, bigger house, big yard, small mortgage payment, long commute and money in your pocket.

We choose the small house, short commute and lived on mac and cheese for a few years over the long commute and no time to spend the extra money you had.

The moral of the story, you can always make more money and get raises, but you can not create more time.

I personally never understood why people gave up their personal time for all the other things. Losing time can never be regained.

This was when I was young and before kids and stuff, I still worked long hours to prove myself, but I was usually home by 7 or 9 on busy days and stopped in work on the weekend after having a fun day in the sun. But I was not the people who lost 3 to 4 hours a day commuting so they could have bigger house.

Last edited by Maestro; 06-28-2016 at 10:55 AM..
Appreciate 1
      06-21-2016, 03:23 PM   #48
Bucki14
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3 DCT | Lotus Evora 400

WTF did I read, are you a slave?

Instagram: boostedtrav_
Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/boostedtrav
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2016, 03:29 PM   #49
Bucki14
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuidoK View Post
Exactly. There is a consideration to be made about how much your life is worth.
You can divide your life in time, and on each period in your life, that time has a different value. In hindsight, your childhood, youth and young adulthood are by far the most valuable ones (probably in that order).
When you're young, you want to make money because you think you can do a lot of things with that that will make you happy. When you're older, you realise it doesnt work that way. The older you get, the less materialistic you get, and realise its about spending time instead of spending money.
So live your young life to the fullest. Dont try to make more money than you need to.
Best short piece of information I've read!

Appreciate 0
      06-21-2016, 03:45 PM   #50
BayMoWe335
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2010 E92 335i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingOfJericho View Post
This mentality is why most Americans are financially doomed.
Please. I have more savings acumen that 99.999% of Americans. I'm just saying he's not driving a 228i if he's ballin. It's just that simple.

And you're right, Americans suck at saving but that has nothing to do with what I said.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2016, 03:58 PM   #51
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

I've worked 6:30-4 since roughly 1984.

Yes, Nineteen-hundred and eighty-four.

Various employers, but it has always worked out that way. 9/80 work schedule.

#whippersnappers
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2016, 04:03 PM   #52
KingOfJericho
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Yes

Garage List
2010 135i Coupe  [5.26]
Quote:
Please. I have more savings acumen that 99.999% of Americans. I'm just saying he's not driving a 228i if he's ballin. It's just that simple.

And you're right, Americans suck at saving but that has nothing to do with what I said.
He commutes by train to the city. I do the exact same thing. My car is driven 4 miles then just sits in a parking lot. No point in blowing money on a car that's barely driven. I fill my tank once a month. There are guys in my company who make in the millions each year and drive a 335i. There are also assistants right out of school who drive the same car.

My point is that "he's not driving a 228i if he's ballin" is why many Americans feel pressured to buy expensive vehicles for no reason other than to act as a statement of wealth to people who judge status based on material goods, which is exactly what you seem to be doing.

2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee High Altitude Hemi | 2010 S4 Sold | 2010 BMW 135i Retired | 2006 Lotus Exige Sold
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2016, 08:22 PM   #53
Bucki14
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingOfJericho View Post
He commutes by train to the city. I do the exact same thing. My car is driven 4 miles then just sits in a parking lot. No point in blowing money on a car that's barely driven. I fill my tank once a month. There are guys in my company who make in the millions each year and drive a 335i. There are also assistants right out of school who drive the same car.

My point is that "he's not driving a 228i if he's ballin" is why many Americans feel pressured to buy expensive vehicles for no reason other than to act as a statement of wealth to people who judge status based on material goods, which is exactly what you seem to be doing.
Agreed about american mentality. I however like expensive cars because of how marvelous they are and not about what others think. It's a bad curse/addiction to have. But the engineering, driving feel, and sound of the expensive Italian bred machines is intoxicating. Such an obsession I wish would die.....but it ain't

Appreciate 0
      06-21-2016, 08:45 PM   #54
Coulson T
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: awaiting a MG M2

Cat's in the cradle.........

Life is too short to be miserable.......love yourself, decide what you want and focus on the way to obtain that which brings you happiness.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2016, 09:20 PM   #55
BMW F22
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleWede View Post
I've worked 6:30-4 since roughly 1984.

Yes, Nineteen-hundred and eighty-four.

Various employers, but it has always worked out that way. 9/80 work schedule.

#whippersnappers
Defense industry?
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2016, 10:48 PM   #56
NY10
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 228i xdrive Coupe

Quote:
Fuck Wallstreet.

You work 16 hour days and drive a 228i? It's never going to be worth it.

You need to be making around $350k for it to approach worth it. You'd have the same quality of life making around $150k in Dallas, Houston, or even Chicago.
I bought my now ex girlfriend the 228i I drive an M6 and Ducati.

Not that, that has anything to do with my original post.

I have co workers who drive Nissians and their bonus is more than the average American makes a year so that's not really the point.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2016, 08:34 AM   #57
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW F22 View Post
Defense industry?
First half of career as civil servant for Navy. Now municipal government. IT for both.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2016, 08:52 AM   #58
Supra2k6
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY10 View Post
I bought my now ex girlfriend the 228i I drive an M6 and Ducati.

Not that, that has anything to do with my original post.

I have co workers who drive Nissians and their bonus is more than the average American makes a year so that's not really the point.

Some people dont get that. in big cities the cat next to you in a 98 civic could be worth more then you ever will. 12hr days are normal for me but i see it as i'm young why not work hard now when i have the energy.

12 hr days are normal for me but i take it as me being young and i have the energy to work so why not work hard now.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2016, 09:03 AM   #59
ASAP
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X3 M40i

I lived in the northeast for numerous years, could have potentially made more money and had many more career opportunities.

What did I do?

I moved back down to the South, kept my salary, lowered expenses and overall improved everything... is my potential to make as much money down here or have as many career opportunities as in the NE? Probably not... is absolutely everything else better? Without a questions, yes... In other words, you have to do whats right for yourself and I knew that it my case the NE lifestyle would never work for me...
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2016, 09:05 AM   #60
Verbiage
Dismembered Member
Jamaica
Rep
Drives: F80 ZCP 6MT, R55 Clubman S 6MT

Quote:

I enjoyed this post.

My delivery experience and beach photoshoot here.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2016, 09:24 AM   #61
PoorLurker
Custom User Title
No_Country
Rep
Drives: a bicycle

Quote:

You drive a 335i and claim to be in the .001%?

I think you has are confused or ungood at maths and statistician.

"The really, really rich get much, much richer
On the other side of the spectrum, the fortunes of the wealthy have grown, especially at the very top. The 16,000 families making up the richest 0.01%, with an average net worth of $371m, now control 11.2% of total wealth—back to the 1916 share, which is the highest on record. Those down the distribution have not done quite so well: the top 0.1% (consisting of 160,000 families worth $73m on average) hold 22% of America’s wealth, just shy of the 1929 peak—and exactly the same share as the bottom 90% of the population. Meanwhile the share of wealth held by families from the 90th to the 99th percentile has actually fallen over the last decade, though not by as much as the net worth of the bottom 90%."
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2016, 10:12 AM   #62
BayMoWe335
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2010 E92 335i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoorLurker View Post
You drive a 335i and claim to be in the .001%?

I think you has are confused or ungood at maths and statistician.

"The really, really rich get much, much richer
On the other side of the spectrum, the fortunes of the wealthy have grown, especially at the very top. The 16,000 families making up the richest 0.01%, with an average net worth of $371m, now control 11.2% of total wealth—back to the 1916 share, which is the highest on record. Those down the distribution have not done quite so well: the top 0.1% (consisting of 160,000 families worth $73m on average) hold 22% of America’s wealth, just shy of the 1929 peak—and exactly the same share as the bottom 90% of the population. Meanwhile the share of wealth held by families from the 90th to the 99th percentile has actually fallen over the last decade, though not by as much as the net worth of the bottom 90%."
I said I have savings acumen...I didn't say I was in the top 1% in wealth. People richer than me don't necessarily have more savings acumen.

I'm probably more like top 10%.

I'm also a slight hypocrite because I could afford a lot nicer car too, but after a certain point, feel cars are a toy. I just think a 35 variant is a lot better than the 28 variant and working as much as this dude does necessitates a better car. If he has an M6, solid.

I never said I always make perfect, rational sense.
Appreciate 1
      06-22-2016, 11:59 AM   #63
bimmerfrk
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Ferrari Red F83

I work on wall street as well. Mid sized AUM hedge fund. I come in really early like 7:00. But im out every day at 3:59. I told them during my interview that I will run the fuck out of this department but I wont be here all fucking day and night doing it and they can fire me if they don't like my mgt style. It worked out very well.

But then again I run the IT infrastructure side of the business.... My goal is to stack my bank account and GTFO, may start a consulting biz for newly starting asset mgt firms.

Life is to short to work 80 hour work weeks.....
      06-22-2016, 05:12 PM   #64
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G05 45e, 997.1 & 991.1 GT3s

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY10 View Post
I work on Wall Street and even though it closes at 4 Mon - Fri I usually don't leave my office until after 9.

Work is usually 15-16 hour days at least 5 days a week sometimes weekends too.

Finding the balance between working hard and still having a life. I put in for my vacation this week for Dec and I have to make sure my dates are even approved first.

I know my job is stressful and there's a lot of running around, staring at computers, talking on the phone. When I get home I shower eat a little something and want to be in peace. My friends complain cause I never hang out my girl is impossible because we never see each other and she feels that she always has to call me.

I'm on the phone all day I don't want to do the same at night. I love my job and what I do so slowing down and switching paths now isn't an option.

I do know I'm exhausted by the time I leave. It's 11:40 now and I'm on the train heading home to sleep for a few hours before I go back into the office tomorrow (Saturday) to finish a deadline.
not sure what "wall street" means, but I have a close friend in investment banking at UBS there and I know what you're going through.

My work use to interact a lot with others in this field. You'll notice with the staff as the years of experience increase, between years 0-7, their waistlines also increase. Then when you hit managing director, you get skinnier and you work less.

Anyways, get your money while you can stand it. Then go find something that'll pay 80% of the rate but have 50% of the hours.
      06-22-2016, 05:14 PM   #65
ASAP
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Ace View Post
not sure what "wall street" means, but I have a close friend in investment banking at UBS there and I know what you're going through.

My work use to interact a lot with others in this field. You'll notice with the staff as the years of experience increase, between years 0-7, their waistlines also increase. Then when you hit managing director, you get skinnier and you work less.

Anyways, get your money while you can stand it. Then go find something that'll pay 80% of the rate but have 50% of the hours.
If that was as simple as u just made it out to be... then one would genuinely have to be almost retarded not to take up that offer...
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2016, 05:14 PM   #66
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G05 45e, 997.1 & 991.1 GT3s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky John View Post
Make and bank all the money you can while your young. Shelter and invest that money and plan your exit. I assure you from experience, you cannot work 70 hour work weeks and have a family.
I can barely work 40 a week and have a family! lol.

When you hit 30 and get a kid...you have much less energy for anything else. So get your certificates, money experience now...b/c when you turn 30, you got to work smarter.