XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

06-19-2016, 12:10 AM   #23
Robm129
Private
Rep
Drives: '16 M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Number 86 View Post
Nothing is more valuable than work experience. When I see people with no experience and an mba I immediately think he couldn't get a job and therefore went to school.
I would think this would be determined, in my case, by how well I translate my military resume to "normal" people language.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2016, 12:43 AM   #24
M3 Number 86
Major General
Rep
Drives: black m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robm129
Quote:
Nothing is more valuable than work experience. When I see people with no experience and an mba I immediately think he couldn't get a job and therefore went to school.
I would think this would be determined, in my case, by how well I translate my military resume to "normal" people language.
People love hiring military. You have more experience than you think. Teamwork, leadership, work ethic, discipline. Get a job in a field you want and learn it quickly on the fly and you'll grow very fast. If you then think an lbs is stoping you from growing, go for it. The thing is an mba doesn't make you smarter or make you think different. I've worked with plenty of Ivy League people who are just freaking idiots and others without an mba who have gotten to the top with their skills and smarts wo an mba. And if it's not from a decent school then don't even bother. The most useful thing you will get from an mba is the direct hires at firms who are actively recruiting here. No one gonna recruit you from an average school.

I was like you too - started late in my career but not because military but more like the penitentiary type

One advantage I had was that as a person I was more mature and knowledgable so understood things a lot quicker and was able to align myself with the higher ups a lot easier than if I was say 22. I started at 30 and have been growing and getting promoted pretty quick and am pretty much at a level where the average is people at my age (except I'm sure most started straight out of college). Since I started late I was also determined to get to the top quicker thus worked harder.

I still think experience is the way to go. You're definitely gonna learn more about your field in a job and being in real life situations than from a class. Did your first day on the field teach you a shit ton more than any of the preparation you may have done before?
      06-24-2016, 04:25 PM   #25
imserious
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3 MR

I vote MBA now, but caveats below.

Don't look at an MBA as an education, but a milestone in a career path. You can get the same education reading books. If your career path doesn't require MBA (ex: IT), then just go straight into the workforce and get an MBA later if you feel like it. MBA is not required for a solid career.

If your career path requires an MBA (ex: banking, corporate finance, marketing, etc.), I would get it now. Gov'n is helping to pay for it. It will probably help you adjust to civilian life. MBA programs generally look favorably on military. Your manpower and resource responsibilities can be spun for applications.

Don't be fooled though. MBA is no gold ticket. Try to get into the best possible program and be hyperfocused on networking, internships and landing that job coming out of school.

The days of companies sponsoring MBAs is pretty much over. Paying for it on your own and doing work + school is a huge challenge later on.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2016, 04:32 PM   #26
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G05 45e, 997.1 & 991.1 GT3s

Quote:
that's pretty rare...they must be going to those fly-by-night MBA programs.

It's near impossible to get into a top 25 MBA program without having work experience either.
      06-24-2016, 08:28 PM   #27
M3 Number 86
Major General
Rep
Drives: black m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Ace
Quote:
that's pretty rare...they must be going to those fly-by-night MBA programs.

It's near impossible to get into a top 25 MBA program without having work experience either.
We have mba summer intern programs. You can be good at learning how to take a test but can't apply creative thinking. That's what it's about in most cases.
      06-24-2016, 09:42 PM   #28
Delta0311
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335xi E92 2016 228xi

Work force. Your GI Bill won't cover a bachelors and masters. Get your bachelors then go into the work force and have your employer cover your masters degree.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2016, 09:52 PM   #29
Day Laborer
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M5 CS / iX 50i

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delta0311 View Post
Work force. Your GI Bill won't cover a bachelors and masters. Get your bachelors then go into the work force and have your employer cover your masters degree.
I suspect OP is an officer and may already have his Bachelor's

If you play it right by maxing out how many classes you can take at a time, the GI-Bill can cover a lot.

Mine covered 1 year I had left for my Bachelor's, 1.5 years of my MBA, and 3 semesters (9 classes out of 10 required) for my 2nd Masters.

All done while working full time and going to school full time.

Note, that having a minimum of one day of left over GI-Bill into a new semester will cover the tuition for that entire semester.
Part-time with Next Level Auto Brokers, LLC https://www.instagram.com/nextlevelautobrokers/
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2016, 10:42 AM   #30
Robm129
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Day Laborer View Post
I suspect OP is an officer and may already have his Bachelor's

If you play it right by maxing out how many classes you can take at a time, the GI-Bill can cover a lot.

Mine covered 1 year I had left for my Bachelor's, 1.5 years of my MBA, and 3 semesters (9 classes out of 10 required) for my 2nd Masters.

All done while working full time and going to school full time.

Note, that having a minimum of one day of left over GI-Bill into a new semester will cover the tuition for that entire semester.
You suspect correctly. I've been reaching into my network of friends and mentors to find the best avenue of approach. My undergrad is in Marketing and I dabble in someting "similar" to that with the Military.

Being in NoVA, it seems everytime I meet someone I get a business card. I assume there is some underlying recruiting incentives for these companies?
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2016, 10:58 AM   #31
Day Laborer
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robm129 View Post
You suspect correctly. I've been reaching into my network of friends and mentors to find the best avenue of approach. My undergrad is in Marketing and I dabble in someting "similar" to that with the Military.

Being in NoVA, it seems everytime I meet someone I get a business card. I assume there is some underlying recruiting incentives for these companies?
If you are looking into working in the private sector; I suggest updating your Linkedin profile with key words, titles, duties, etc; and recruiters will find their way to contacting you.

There are many recruiting companies, or head hunters whose sole job is to search for potential candidates.

If you want a government GS position, using USAJOBS is probably the only way. Lots of positions open for contractors as well. Believe it or not, many small business certified contracting companies hire from Craigslist.

I'm actually in NOVA as well, if you want some tips, feel free to PM me and I can talk you through the process that I went through.

If you are able to swing a full-time job and MBA at the same time, I suggest that. Lots of options for evening classes around the area; including Georgetown, George Washington; Catholic University, Virginia Tech, Mary Washington--- loads more.
Part-time with Next Level Auto Brokers, LLC https://www.instagram.com/nextlevelautobrokers/
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2016, 12:47 PM   #32
goj
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 EBII 340i 6-MT

People who don't have MBAs will rationalize by any number of things to say it's not worth it.

The MBA grows your business decision making muscle in a new way from undergrad. ALSO, by getting my MBA I gained a plethora of connections from all different tech companies. The networking you get is far greater than the networking of just going to the work place.

If you can make it happen financially do it. Don't let a ton of ppl who don't have one "rationalize" why it's not the best plan. MBA doesn't equal success in and of itself, but it's been a huge help for me in my early career working in marketing in the Silicon Valley.
BMW CCA Member #516012
2016 340i, Estoril Blue, Manual Transmission, MPE, MPBBK, HRE FF04
Instagram: @brandons340i
Appreciate 2
      06-25-2016, 12:58 PM   #33
Robm129
Private
Rep

Quote:
If you are looking into working in the private sector; I suggest updating your Linkedin profile with key words, titles, duties, etc; and recruiters will find their way to contacting you.

There are many recruiting companies, or head hunters whose sole job is to search for potential candidates.

If you want a government GS position, using USAJOBS is probably the only way. Lots of positions open for contractors as well. Believe it or not, many small business certified contracting companies hire from Craigslist.

I'm actually in NOVA as well, if you want some tips, feel free to PM me and I can talk you through the process that I went through.

If you are able to swing a full-time job and MBA at the same time, I suggest that. Lots of options for evening classes around the area; including Georgetown, George Washington; Catholic University, Virginia Tech, Mary Washington--- loads more.
I'm hearing that USAJOBS is just a legal front and the majority of jobs are filled by the good ole boy club. I guess you need to get in however you can then move around to move up the GS scale. My gf's dad is a SES but don't think we are at the point where he'll pull strings for me.

I have lots of mixed reviews for the recruiting companies. I'll hit you up in PM to pick your brain. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by goj View Post
People who don't have MBAs will rationalize by any number of things to say it's not worth it.

The MBA grows your business decision making muscle in a new way from undergrad. ALSO, by getting my MBA I gained a plethora of connections from all different tech companies. The networking you get is far greater than the networking of just going to the work place.

If you can make it happen financially do it. Don't let a ton of ppl who don't have one "rationalize" why it's not the best plan. MBA doesn't equal success in and of itself, but it's been a huge help for me in my early career working in marketing in the Silicon Valley.
That is something I've heard multiple times and agree for the most part. Confirmation bias is what I believe it is called.

Financially I'm good, GI Bill plus savings will allow me to attend most programs and leave debt free. One concern I have, could be totally made up in my head, is age bias. I'm 31 now and would be 34 by the time I am done with an MBA. Is this good or bad or all made up in my head?
Appreciate 1
      06-25-2016, 03:50 PM   #34
Day Laborer
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
For DoD maybe.. I got in the government without knowing anyone at all, three different positions, and never used veterans' points for either of the three times I was hired as a fed.
I never got a job or promotion from any helping hand, guess its persistence that paid off
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2016, 08:53 AM   #35
Teufel_Hunden
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3 6MT LMB ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delta0311
What? Mine did...
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2016, 09:50 AM   #36
sygazelle
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 328i M-Sport, 2019 X5 40i

Quote:

I was going to write something but this post did it for me.
Appreciate 1
      06-26-2016, 10:00 AM   #37
sygazelle
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 328i M-Sport, 2019 X5 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robm129 View Post
I'm hearing that USAJOBS is just a legal front and the majority of jobs are filled by the good ole boy club. I guess you need to get in however you can then move around to move up the GS scale. My gf's dad is a SES but don't think we are at the point where he'll pull strings for me.

I have lots of mixed reviews for the recruiting companies. I'll hit you up in PM to pick your brain. Thanks!

That is something I've heard multiple times and agree for the most part. Confirmation bias is what I believe it is called.

Financially I'm good, GI Bill plus savings will allow me to attend most programs and leave debt free. One concern I have, could be totally made up in my head, is age bias. I'm 31 now and would be 34 by the time I am done with an MBA. Is this good or bad or all made up in my head?

Do it.

You will never regret having done it but you will always regret not having done it. You will work your ass off for the next 2 years but you will only be in your mid-30s with your whole career ahead of you.

Please don't listen this nonsense that if it isn't a top 10 school it is not worth it. I agree that a good school is better, but non top-10 schools include USC Marshall (my school and it did all right by me , UCLA, Duke, and many other fine schools with amazing alumni associations that will give you connections that will allow you to help and be helped during your career.

What most posts are not mentioning is the fact that you will actually learn something useful. Use it as an opportunity to enrich what you have already learned with your fine military training and your undergrad degree.

Work hard. Get your MBA. In two years you will look back and be very glad you did it.

Best of luck and thank you for your service.
Appreciate 2
      06-26-2016, 03:56 PM   #38
MKSixer
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i8, E63 M6, 328d

Garage List
2016 M4 GTS (Allotted)  [0.00]
2013 BMW 328d  [0.00]
2007 BMW M6  [10.00]
2015 BMW i8  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by sygazelle View Post
I was going to write something but this post did it for me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sygazelle View Post
Do it.

You will never regret having done it but you will always regret not having done it. You will work your ass off for the next 2 years but you will only be in your mid-30s with your whole career ahead of you.

Please don't listen this nonsense that if it isn't a top 10 school it is not worth it. I agree that a good school is better, but non top-10 schools include USC Marshall (my school and it did all right by me , UCLA, Duke, and many other fine schools with amazing alumni associations that will give you connections that will allow you to help and be helped during your career.

What most posts are not mentioning is the fact that you will actually learn something useful. Use it as an opportunity to enrich what you have already learned with your fine military training and your undergrad degree.

Work hard. Get your MBA. In two years you will look back and be very glad you did it.

Best of luck and thank you for your service.
^^^
Robm129
This.

I will quote my mom on this. She has a bachelor's degree, 2 master's degrees, and a Ph.D., and now writes children's books. The second master's degree was earned about 4 years ago.

"No one can take your education away from you. It is one of the only things that is yours and yours, alone."

Good luck with your decision.
Sir 7ewis, 7X FIA Formula One World Championship, World Driving Champion. 100 Wins. 101 Pole Positions. 54 Fastest Laps. Actual Rain Master. Leave me to it, Bono. One Race Win in each of his 15 years in F1. Most Laps Led in Formula One. The Centurion.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2016, 04:08 PM   #39
goj
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 EBII 340i 6-MT

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

Age bias is not something I experienced at all. In fact the average age of my program was 30y/o

Putting on my hiring hat: I also believe that there is never a perfect time to get your MBA. Usually you just have to make it happen. I'm just saying military and MBA experience is a highly desirable combo. The military shows your work ethic and commitment and MBA shows that you're a learner. The two combined show you can succeed at what you set your mind to. T
BMW CCA Member #516012
2016 340i, Estoril Blue, Manual Transmission, MPE, MPBBK, HRE FF04
Instagram: @brandons340i
Appreciate 1
      06-26-2016, 07:24 PM   #40
Xtabi
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3

Quote:
Greetings all. Curious to the opinon of the BMW forums.

I'm starting my transition from the military and will be out with 10 years of active service. Sadly 10 years (3 combat tours + 1 korea tour) equals a pat on the back and the post-9/11 g.i. bill. I'll be 32 when done. Is this a good time to grab an MBA (undergrad in Marketing) as a full time student or jump straight to the work force and start figuring out what exactly I'm wanting to do with this next phase then pursue an executive MBA down the road?
Workforce. Get the MBA while working.