XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

12-03-2010, 08:48 PM   #1
CapCityKid
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2009 Audi A4 2.0T Quattro

Post Could Santa please come to Canada with an American spec X5 35d?

Having recently driven this vehicle, all I can say is "WOW!". Anyone having buyer's remorse at this point? Any mechanical issues? Honestly, how is it possible that a 6,000 lb vehicle performs like this? I blame the German school system.

Anyway, I was wondering what sort of pricing X5 35d owners in Canada have been able to secure on 2011 model year vehicles? Any recommendations on dealers in the Toronto area? Specifically, I am looking for one with premium, tech and executive packages.

Is it just me, or is anyone else living up north here astounded by the holiday cash and eco credit in the US resulting in - literally - a $20,000 difference in the price versus similarly equipped Canadian X5 35d? Oh, and the 0.9% financing for 3 years in the US looks pretty good too.

Many thanks in advance for your comments.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2010, 09:41 AM   #2
Stephen5242
Canada EH!
Canada
Rep
Drives: 335i

The X5 is manufactured in the US so it falls under NAFTA. No duty to import one across the boarder. Lots of official info here: http://www.riv.ca/importingavehicle.aspx

Also for $20K difference, if you are too busy, it would be advantages to find a broker who would do all the paper work and bring the vehicle to Canada for you for a few grand.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2010, 11:38 AM   #3
Clarenced
Rep
Drives: X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen5242 View Post
The X5 is manufactured in the US so it falls under NAFTA. No duty to import one across the boarder. Lots of official info here: http://www.riv.ca/importingavehicle.aspx

Also for $20K difference, if you are too busy, it would be advantages to find a broker who would do all the paper work and bring the vehicle to Canada for you for a few grand.
Anyone have some good suggested brokers that do this? I'm in Toronto.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2010, 11:58 AM   #4
DerekS
Major
Rep
Drives: '24 X3 M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapCityKid View Post
Honestly, how is it possible that a 6,000 lb vehicle performs like this?
Anyway, I was wondering what sort of pricing X5 35d owners in Canada have been able to secure on 2011 model year vehicles? Any recommendations on dealers in the Toronto area? Specifically, I am looking for one with premium, tech and executive packages.

Is it just me, or is anyone else living up north here astounded by the holiday cash and eco credit in the US resulting in - literally - a $20,000 difference in the price versus similarly equipped Canadian X5 35d? Oh, and the 0.9% financing for 3 years in the US looks pretty good too.

Many thanks in advance for your comments.
Firstly, your estimate for vehicle weight is too high. The X5d, according to BMW Canada, weighs 2370 kg. or 5214 lbs. I have had my X5d on a weigh scale on several occasions, so I can confirm these figures.

As for pricing in Canada, I do not believe that the difference, once you factor in some of the standard equipment (eg. heated seats, mirrors & windshield washers, etc.) included with the Canadian version, is as large as you suggest, but it is certainly more than it should be given the near parity of the Canadian dollar to the US dollar. There is no justification for the "astounding" difference in pricing between the Canadian and US vehicles.

But before you consider a US purchase, make sure you do your homework on all of the technical issues and the necessary modifications. Keep in mind also that if you do import a US vehicle, there will be no pre-paid annual maintenance for the first four years, maybe no free courtesy cars or any other courtesies normally offered by a dealer who has sold you a car.

When shopping for my X5d, the largest discount I was able to get from Vancouver dealers was 4.5% plus the waving of add on fees. The market in Canada is much stronger than it is currently in the USA, hence the complete lack of any "program" money or incentives from BMW Canada on the X5; it is one of their best sellers and early winter is the time of greatest demand for this model.

You might find that the Toronto area dealers are hungrier for a sale than the Vancouver dealers, especially if you go outside metro. Keep in mind, also, that the d is in more demand in Canada than in the USA.

Finally, in response to your question about buyer's remorse, I certainly do not have any. My X5d is equipped with the premium, exec. and tech. packages + running boards ( a must have option, IMO), and roof rails.

I also have a set of winter wheels with Dunlop Grandtrek WT M3 snows. These tires, combined with X drive, transform the X5d into the best handling vehicle I have ever driven in winter conditions over the past 50 years.

Since you live in the Toronto area, I would strongly recommend that you get a set of winter tires for your X5d. If you have any doubts about the differences in braking performance and road holding between dedicated snow tires vs all seasons, go to tirerack.com and click on to their videos that demonstrate these differences.

Before making a purchase decision, I would suggest that you drive several comparable vehicles, like the Mercedes ML350 Bluetec, VW Touareg TD, Audi Q7 TD. In my opinion, the X5d drives and handles better than any of these vehicles; it comes the closest to driving like a sport sedan.

Good luck on your purchase ! You will not be disappointed in the performance or handling of the d !!