XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

11-22-2015, 07:40 PM   #1
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2004 3/4 ton Duramax

HELP! Problem with my iPhone 6s...

Work sent me an iPhone 6s about a month ago, and this is when I did my last backup. The phone has been working OK, until today. Iwas on a bike ride, and when I got back to the car, the screen popped up saying I had to connect to iTunes. When I did, I had the choice between trying to update the phone or restoring it.

I did update, but the iTunes is stuck in the "Waiting for iPhone..." screen and the progress bar on my iPhone is not starting.

Since I have a months worth of pictures of my one-year old on my phone, I really don't want to restore it until I exhaust all options. Losing the pictures and videos would be very upsetting.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2015, 08:13 PM   #2
dsad1
Colonel
Rep
Drives: car

Quote:
Originally Posted by P1et View Post
Work sent me an iPhone 6s about a month ago, and this is when I did my last backup. The phone has been working OK, until today. Iwas on a bike ride, and when I got back to the car, the screen popped up saying I had to connect to iTunes. When I did, I had the choice between trying to update the phone or restoring it.

I did update, but the iTunes is stuck in the "Waiting for iPhone..." screen and the progress bar on my iPhone is not starting.

Since I have a months worth of pictures of my one-year old on my phone, I really don't want to restore it until I exhaust all options. Losing the pictures and videos would be very upsetting.
I have never had an iphone for a daily phone, but are you sure it wasn't doing over the air backups through icloud.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2015, 08:25 PM   #3
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsaad1 View Post
I have never had an iphone for a daily phone, but are you sure it wasn't doing over the air backups through icloud.
Definitely not. I make it a point to turn that off...
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2015, 09:01 PM   #4
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep

I gave up and am trying to restore it now. Not working either. What a piece of shit. Fucking Apple crap.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2015, 09:58 PM   #5
Biorin
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: to get cheeseburgers

Did you try a hard reset (power button and home button held down)?
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2015, 10:12 PM   #6
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biorin View Post
Did you try a hard reset (power button and home button held down)?
I did. Nothing. I cannot recover it in iTunes, and I cannot restore it either. With the recover, it never starts the process and with restore it gets stuck halfway and errors out. Tried it multiple times. Ready to toss it out the window. I've honestly heard more issues that people are having with the 6 and the 6s than any other phone that Apple released. Looks like QC is going down the shitter.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2015, 08:52 AM   #7
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

That sucks.

Sorry, I can't add anything here as I don't have an iPhone. But I can offer sympathies as I went through the same issue you did in relation to losing irreplaceable family pictures on my Galaxy S5 phone. In my situation, my phone was stolen from me at a company function at a hotel we were shacked up in. 100% confident one of the hotel staff stole my phone. I ended up getting my phone back a week later with the phone wiped and the micro SD card gone which had my pictures stored on it. Lots of lessons learned and a clear reminder police departments won't be bothered with crimes like this regardless of clear indications this individual knew exactly what he was doing and the other victim whom ended up buying my phone from the thief or someone tied to the thief having material information.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2015, 08:54 AM   #8
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by zx10guy View Post
That sucks.

Sorry, I can't add anything here as I don't have an iPhone. But I can offer sympathies as I went through the same issue you did in relation to losing irreplaceable family pictures on my Galaxy S5 phone. In my situation, my phone was stolen from me at a company function at a hotel we were shacked up in. 100% confident one of the hotel staff stole my phone. I ended up getting my phone back a week later with the phone wiped and the micro SD card gone which had my pictures stored on it. Lots of lessons learned and a clear reminder police departments won't be bothered with crimes like this regardless of clear indications this individual knew exactly what he was doing and the other victim whom ended up buying my phone from the thief or someone tied to the thief having material information.
Wow. How did they steal your phone? And how did you get it back?
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2015, 08:54 AM   #9
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2008 Saab 9-3 Combi

This, in a nutshell, is why Apple devices drive me insane. This obsession with syncing and clouds and iTunes, fuck off already and let me control my fucking media.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2015, 08:56 AM   #10
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisti View Post
This, in a nutshell, is why Apple devices drive me insane. This obsession with syncing and clouds and iTunes, fuck off already and let me control my fucking media.
Agree. I'll never synch with the cloud. I'll just have to sync with iTunes on a weekly basis going forward. Same with my pictures. Lesson learned. I was able to recover a few pictures by seeing which pictures I'd sent to friends and family using my iPad, since the SMS messages replicate.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2015, 08:58 AM   #11
dsad1
Colonel
Rep

I got worried about losing pics of my kids a few years ago, so as much as I didn't want to, I setup both Dropbox and Google photos to sync my photos and my wife's photos on wifi.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2015, 09:16 AM   #12
metrickid
Dinosaur supervisor
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: E91 318d

So Apple has a prefect solution for your problem (cloud backups) but you make a point in disabling it and then get pissed off when you don't have a backup?

It is perfect for photos, just save the thumbnails on the phone so they don't take up any space and the rest are in iCloud so you have them accessible on all your devices.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2015, 09:48 AM   #13
///mawana
Lieutenant
Zimbabwe
Rep
Drives: e90 M3

Quote:

If this a company phone, my advise is to talk to whoever is responsible for managing off-site phones (cellphones, PDAs, etc) at your place of work. Maybe they loaded some software on your 6s that prevents unauthorised updates and such.

Good luck!
      11-23-2015, 10:08 AM   #14
N55Jamaican
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335i E90 LCI

Quote:
I did. Nothing. I cannot recover it in iTunes, and I cannot restore it either. With the recover, it never starts the process and with restore it gets stuck halfway and errors out. Tried it multiple times. Ready to toss it out the window. I've honestly heard more issues that people are having with the 6 and the 6s than any other phone that Apple released. Looks like QC is going down the shitter.
If you are going to use iTunes to restore or update the iPhone, you must put the phone in DFU mode.

1. Power off the phone. Can force power off by holding the "Home and power button" until screen goes blank. You must release buttons as soon as the screen blanks.

2. Press power button, when you see apple logo, continue to press power and hold home button until screen goes blank. Count 7-8 seconds and release power button but continue holding home button. Phone should now be connect to iTunes in DFU. (screen will remain blank, don't worry that is normal)

You can now restore and or update.

Hope that helps

At this point you can
      11-23-2015, 10:46 AM   #15
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossifumi View Post
So Apple has a prefect solution for your problem (cloud backups) but you make a point in disabling it and then get pissed off when you don't have a backup?

It is perfect for photos, just save the thumbnails on the phone so they don't take up any space and the rest are in iCloud so you have them accessible on all your devices.
What if someone (like myself) isn't comfortable with all my content being in the cloud?
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2015, 11:14 AM   #16
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

Quote:
Wow. How did they steal your phone? And how did you get it back?
It either dropped out of the outer pocket of my work bag or the scumbag yanked it out of my bag. It's hard to tell as I was at a very crowded work function with tons of people running around including wait staff. I think if I had dropped it I would have heard a thunk but because the room was so loud maybe I didn't hear it.

Regardless, I realized it was missing 45 minutes after I last reached for my phone. I immediately asked the conference organizers if someone had turned it in and I also went to security immediately who then contacted all the wait staff. So I know if the person wasn't intent on stealing the phone he/she would have turned it in at that point. What burns me up was this low life degenerate was probably watching me desperately searching the event room looking for my phone with security in tow.

After the phone not turning up the next day, I figured I will never see the phone again and went to get a new phone. A week later, I get this phone call from a Sprint store in Aurora, Illinois. The rep tells me they have my phone. I was WTF? The rep tells me a person came in to their store and tried to activate it. When the rep went into the system, they saw I had placed a lost/stolen flag on it. At that point, he confiscated the phone and broke the news to the guy. The rep said he didn't think the guy knew the phone was lost/stolen. I got the guy's contact info from the rep.

I call the guy and he tells me he bought it from an ad in Craig's List. He bought it at around 4:30 in the afternoon less than 24 hours after my phone was stolen and right around the time I was getting my new phone. He said he had checked with Sprint to see if the phone was legit which Sprint said at the time it was. That's why he went ahead and bought the phone. He paid $125 for it.

What burns me is I would have given a reward if that was what this ahole wanted for my phone...actually the SD card to come back to me intact with all the videos and photos on it. I could have cared less for the phone. This degenerate knew what he/she was doing. Because I tried calling my phone to see if it would ring or someone would pick up after realizing it was missing. The call went straight to voice mail. So the prick shut my phone off immediately to prevent me from locating it. Because I tried locating it with Android Device Manager. Then this prick probably knew enough to quickly unload the phone as he/she probably knew it would take some time for Sprint's database to update fully with my lost/stolen tag on the phone. All of this shows this wasn't the first time this jerk has done this and has had experience doing this before.

Meanwhile I file a police report with CPD and they initially took it as a lost item report as I had no proof the phone was stolen. When I got the additional information above a week later, I call the police department with the new information and said the status of my report should now be elevated to a stolen item report. The cop I spoke to said he couldn't update the case notes as a detective wasn't assigned to it yet but would take down the information and have someone get back to me. Well that was a few months ago. By now any potential of actually catching this crook or the people working in cahoots is long gone. I didn't even do anything with my recovered S5 in case they wanted to dust it for prints but I can see now they just don't care. I guess I placed a bit more faith in the system than was realistic.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2015, 11:29 AM   #17
tdott
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M3

Sounds like there is more to this story than is being said, I've never had a iPhone just die like that by itself.

Either it was dropped, water damage, electric shock or something happened that caused it to get corrupt or something requiring it to be restored. As for restore itself, it could be because it is a company phone, perhaps you should speak to your IT department.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisti View Post
There is no obsession, the user can turn it all off and then complain when they loose their shit due to not backing it up manually.

I setup my Wife's Samsung S6 Edge+ and the process was not any easier (I almost wanted to smash the phone, until i figured out they turned on some blind accessibility mode, it wasn't letting me type anything in during setup) in fact it took longer than it took to setup compared to my new 6S but that is probably because I was coming from another apple device.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2015, 12:08 PM   #18
dsad1
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdott View Post
Sounds like there is more to this story than is being said, I've never had a iPhone just die like that by itself.

Either it was dropped, water damage, electric shock or something happened that caused it to get corrupt or something requiring it to be restored. As for restore itself, it could be because it is a company phone, perhaps you should speak to your IT department.

There is no obsession, the user can turn it all off and then complain when they loose their shit due to not backing it up manually.

I setup my Wife's Samsung S6 Edge+ and the process was not any easier (I almost wanted to smash the phone, until i figured out they turned on some blind accessibility mode, it wasn't letting me type anything in during setup) in fact it took longer than it took to setup compared to my new 6S but that is probably because I was coming from another apple device.
LOL, I was just in the same situation but with an iphone. I bought an iphone 5 just to keep in the car and have spotify on it.

It took me an hour just to set it up and download bmw connect and spotify. I actually did throw it on the ground at one point, luckily it was carpeted.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2015, 02:13 PM   #19
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdott View Post

Nothing else to it mate. This is a brand new phone, it's never been dropped. Like I said, I was on a bike ride and the phone was in the back pocket of my jersey. It was in the mid 40s outside and I was running Runkeeper to track my ride. When I got back to the car, I saw the dreaded connect to iTunes message.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2015, 02:20 PM   #20
kscarrol
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 M40i, 1974 2002 Tii

Perspiration? I had a Blackberry die on me years ago because I had in my trouser pocket for a couple of days in NYC. It was a hot summer and we walked every where. The BB folks could not figure out why it died so this was thought to be the likely cause...

Either way, good luck with phone.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2015, 07:34 PM   #21
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:
What if someone (like myself) isn't comfortable with all my content being in the cloud?
There is always DropBox if you don't like iCloud. I sync my phone to my laptop daily via iTunes so there's that solution as well if you want to keep it local.

Have you considered taking it by an Apple Store or calling Apple tech support?
      11-23-2015, 07:36 PM   #22
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickFLM4 View Post
There is always DropBox if you don't like iCloud. I sync my phone to my laptop daily via iTunes so there's that solution as well if you want to keep it local.

Have you considered taking it by an Apple Store or calling Apple tech support?
I have an appointment tomorrow. Strangely enough, I can get to the halfway point of restoring my phone using a Windows 8 machine. When I plug it into a Windows 7 machine, it actually supposedly restores the phone but when it reboots just displays the Apple logo. When I unplug it, it goes back to the message saying to connect to iTunes.

I think it's a lost cause...
Appreciate 0