XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

05-24-2018, 02:01 PM   #1
ta
Grumpy
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i

AC Issue

2012 E70 35d with 112000 miles and original A/C compressor. Can't seem to pinpoint A/C issue that just started a few days ago:

1. A/C had been blowing cold and working fine.

2. Now somewhat cool air blowing out of drivers side (front and back as I have rear climate control). Passengers side front and back blowing HOT.

3. Clutch is engaging and radiator fan is working (although not necessarily changing speeds like my E90 when the blower fan control is changed from low to high).

4. Only fault I see is "Modular PTC 009C69". All faults were cleared and the 9C69 came back.

5. Ambient temperature around 90-100 degrees here in Phoenix. A manifold gauge initially showed low side 20 PSI and high side 100 PSI. I added approx 8-10 ounces of R134 and now the readings are low side 35 PSI but the high side is only 125-130 PSI, which I think is too low. This brought down the drivers side a little cooler (but still blowing 80 degrees or so) but the passenger side still blowing HOT.

6. No faults appear for the Heater Control Valve, such as "A72E water valve". I felt each hose coming out of the heater control valve and both appeared cool (definitely not hot) to the touch.

Anyone have any thoughts on next steps? Since I don't know exactly how much R134 is in the vehicle, at this point I can't rule out it being overcharged with me adding more at this point. With the high side PSI lower than expected, does this point to a compressor issue or something else?
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2018, 02:43 PM   #2
mirob
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3CX

http://www.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1463769

I went down the same rabbit hole and mine turned out to be low on Freon. Since you already added some and it didn't fix your issue, I would take a closer look at the Heater Control Valve. In my research, nowhere did I see that a failure of the HCV must be accompanied by a fault code.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2018, 04:09 PM   #3
SyL3nTFoRcE
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi

i have the same issue on mine now but i have yet to add freon. Im hoping it will fixit today when i add some

forgot to mention if it doesnt ill try and look for some flaws and let you know and see if you might be having the same issue
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2018, 05:25 PM   #4
ta
Grumpy
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i

I did a little more troubleshooting.

Now both sides are blowing warm. I don't think it's the Heater Control Valve - I referenced a thread that said to check both solenoids on the Heater Control Valve while running the A/C on MAX. I did that and both solenoids were warm to hot which tells me they were both closed as expected. Unless it's flakey and about to fail, but I think it's currently working. This also reinforces my earlier test where both hoses coming off the valve were fairly cool to the touch and not hot at all.

I'm thinking I'm getting warm air now because I overcharged. I may have to take it in for a complete discharge and a correct charge amount. And then go from there. I'm still concerned about the high side reading around 125 PSI or so. But I'm also using a $60 cheap manifold kit and I'm not sure how accurate it is.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2018, 01:30 PM   #5
philly42
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X5M, Z3M

Have you noticed that with the AC OFF, temp set to 60, and the hot/cold split is set to cold on both sides.... the passenger side is warmer than the diver side?
Appreciate 0