XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

12-30-2013, 09:58 PM   #1
nabizzy
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 X5M LBB

Issue

So I was driving my car around here, it is about 38 degrees F, and I had M mode on and was driving somewhat spiritedly. I came to a stop after driving around for about 45 minutes and there was steamy stuff coming from from where the kidney grills are. I had gotten a car wash just before this, so perhaps there was water getting hot, I am not sure. The car was not overheating. Chances of this being just water getting heated by the engine and turning to steam? Should I be worried?
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2013, 10:13 PM   #2
nachilus
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2007 x5 4.8

Quote:
Originally Posted by nabizzy View Post
So I was driving my car around here, it is about 38 degrees F, and I had M mode on and was driving somewhat spiritedly. I came to a stop after driving around for about 45 minutes and there was steamy stuff coming from from where the kidney grills are. I had gotten a car wash just before this, so perhaps there was water getting hot, I am not sure. The car was not overheating. Chances of this being just water getting heated by the engine and turning to steam? Should I be worried?
I experienced something similar, it turned out to be nothing. If you did not have a warning after your spirited drive then you should be fine.

if the same thing happen tomorrow take a look under the hood for any tell tale signs. The only issue I ever had with steam coming from my hood that was a real issue is when my expansion tank was cracked.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2013, 12:04 PM   #3
upstate650
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 650xi Gran Coupe Msport

Garage List
2020 BMW M340xi  [0.00]
I have had this happen intermittently as well, like maybe once a month. I have seen it after a 15 minute drive to work, as well as after longer drives. It doesn't seem related to weather, how hard you drive or how long. Good luck getting your dealer to diagnose.
Appreciate 0