XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X6 Forums > General BMW X6 and X6M Forum

07-30-2010, 11:24 AM   #1
x6sy
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW X6 35i Alpine White

Wheel specification for 20" Y spoke style 214

Hi,

Would anyone know the wheel specification for BMW X6 20" Y spoke style 214?

I know the following:

Front: 20" X 10"
Back: 20" X 11"

I need information such as lug pattern, offset, etc.

I am trying to find myself a winter wheels to match exactly the same these wheels. I found the tire and I would like to have a set of different rims for winter. If anyone know any good replica of these wheels would be great. thank you!!
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2010, 04:59 PM   #2
cryptic23
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: bmw x6

Front alloy wheels: 20x10" ET40
Wheel part number: BMW 36116772249

Rear alloy wheels: 20x11" ET37
Wheel part number: BMW 36116782916

Tyres:

front: 275/40R20
rear: 315/35R20

The X6 uses M14x1.5 bolts on a 5x120 PCD but bizarrely has different size centre bores front/rear!

The front is 74.0mm and rear 72.5mm
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2010, 07:03 PM   #3
x6sy
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cryptic23 View Post

Tyres:

The X6 uses M14x1.5 bolts on a 5x120 PCD but bizarrely has different size centre bores front/rear!

Thanks alot. Sorry I am not expert on wheels but the comment you made about the centre bores, Do I need to consider that in purchasing the new wheels?
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2010, 05:47 PM   #4
cryptic23
Enlisted Member
Rep

Not really no , i have bought some x5 215"s and they are 74.00 front and back so the front will go on no problem , but on the reari am using a wheel gromit , its like a big washer to add the 1.5mm so they will fit nice and tight. They are purpose made by most alloy wheel companies.

If the centre bores of the wheels you buy are a bit small you can have them drilled out to fit, but i would suggest sticking to X6 / X5 wheels.

In fact a guy on here made a really good point that by having the X5 wheels and adding a spacer to fit an X6 is probably better as when i come to sell them i will have the X5 and X6 market to sell to.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2010, 12:19 AM   #5
x6sy
Private
Rep

Quote:
Not really no , i have bought some x5 215"s and they are 74.00 front and back so the front will go on no problem , but on the reari am using a wheel gromit , its like a big washer to add the 1.5mm so they will fit nice and tight. They are purpose made by most alloy wheel companies.

If the centre bores of the wheels you buy are a bit small you can have them drilled out to fit, but i would suggest sticking to X6 / X5 wheels.

In fact a guy on here made a really good point that by having the X5 wheels and adding a spacer to fit an X6 is probably better as when i come to sell them i will have the X5 and X6 market to sell to.
Thanks again. One more question; do i need to be concern with ET? you mentioned about front being et40 and back et37?
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2010, 01:55 PM   #6
cryptic23
Enlisted Member
Rep

Yes of course you do, you can not just put any wheels on a car.

Your car requires a unique offset. This is where the wheel will sit in relation to the bodyline of the vehicle, realistically you can go 5-7mm outside these recommendations, but always consult a technician if you are unsure, as there are often other factors that need to be considered. Offset is usually stamped on the wheel in the X6 case et40 and back et37. This is measured in millimetres of et (et is the short form of the German word 'Einpresstiefe' which literally translates as insertion depth).

Basically the wrong ET and the wheels will not fit properly.A wheels offset is the distance from the centre of the wheel to the face of the bolting plate.Effectively the offset is also the distance from the centreline of the wheel to the hub face.

Therefore :

If you put a wheel on the same hub with a bigger offset, the wheel will sit further inside the wheel arch because the wheels bolting face will have to move further in to meet the hub. Alternatively if it has a smaller offset it will sit further out from the wheel arch.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2010, 10:32 PM   #7
x6sy
Private
Rep

Quote:
Yes of course you do, you can not just put any wheels on a car.

Your car requires a unique offset. This is where the wheel will sit in relation to the bodyline of the vehicle, realistically you can go 5-7mm outside these recommendations, but always consult a technician if you are unsure, as there are often other factors that need to be considered. Offset is usually stamped on the wheel in the X6 case et40 and back et37. This is measured in millimetres of et (et is the short form of the German word 'Einpresstiefe' which literally translates as insertion depth).

Basically the wrong ET and the wheels will not fit properly.A wheels offset is the distance from the centre of the wheel to the face of the bolting plate.Effectively the offset is also the distance from the centreline of the wheel to the hub face.

Therefore :

If you put a wheel on the same hub with a bigger offset, the wheel will sit further inside the wheel arch because the wheels bolting face will have to move further in to meet the hub. Alternatively if it has a smaller offset it will sit further out from the wheel arch.

Thanks a lot. The information was a great help.

So I can get the following wheel:

20X9.5 front with ET 45
20X10.5 with ET 30

center bore : 74.1 for both with .1mm ring.

Tire : 275X40X20 front and 315X35X20 rear.

Is this correct and I should be safe with this configuration. Not to be cheap but I would like to get a replica to save some money and not worry by bending the rim during winter driving. Do you know any good replica style 214? Thanks again
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2010, 10:43 PM   #8
kgclark
Private
Rep
Drives: '11 X6 35i VR/Oyster

I'm also thinking about getting 214 reps for winter. Someone else had posted (not sure of it was this board or another) that instead of doing the same staggered setup as summer, they got 4 matching wheels using the narrower front size. I was thinking about trying to do the same so that I could get 4 matching winter tires as well. It seems like the narrower rear would help with traction and I doubt it would be that noticeable aesthetically.

There seem to be plenty of people selling these in the $800/set/shipped range on ebay. Seems like a decent deal I guess - as long as the quality isn't total shite.

Kevin
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2010, 02:14 PM   #9
cryptic23
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by x6sy View Post
Thanks a lot. The information was a great help.

So I can get the following wheel:

20X9.5 front with ET 45
20X10.5 with ET 30

center bore : 74.1 for both with .1mm ring.

Tire : 275X40X20 front and 315X35X20 rear.

Is this correct and I should be safe with this configuration. Not to be cheap but I would like to get a replica to save some money and not worry by bending the rim during winter driving. Do you know any good replica style 214? Thanks again
it's not ideal really no, 20" wheels should be

But the tyres are correct so it could work ok with the o-ring,

It's really down to you guys to decide if you want reps on your cars , personally i don't get it they are the things that are spinning round at speed keeping you on the road !

In the UK the X6 is about £55K depending on options , i would not even consider putting on cheap reps even if just for winter or summer either way.

It really is not a good idea , i know we all want to save a bit here and there but spending so much on a car and putting on reps that are not even the right fitment ....

Buy cheap and you buy twice that is for sure, i would not want to be going at speed and the wheel crack with my baby daughter in the back , they also void the warranty and best to ask your insurance company if it would effect a claim if you had non genuine wheels on.

Don't get me wrong i am not all for spending money but my X6 cost me a bloody fortune i am not prepared to mess with it !

I have a set of genuine 20" Y spoke with tyres ( have done 2000 miles only ) As i took the plunge and bought some genuine BMW 215"s ( ferrick grey)
If you where in the uk you would be laughing as i am going to put them on ebay, my point is they do come up second hand.

I would suggest waiting for some genuine second hand X6 wheels to pop up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgclark View Post
I'm also thinking about getting 214 reps for winter. Someone else had posted (not sure of it was this board or another) that instead of doing the same staggered setup as summer, they got 4 matching wheels using the narrower front size. I was thinking about trying to do the same so that I could get 4 matching winter tires as well. It seems like the narrower rear would help with traction and I doubt it would be that noticeable aesthetically.
Maybe not aesthetically but safety wise forget it.

[QUOTE=kgclark;7770432There seem to be plenty of people selling these in the $800/set/shipped range on ebay. Seems like a decent deal I guess - as long as the quality isn't total shite. [/QUOTE]

$800 a set shipped so lets say the wheels are costing $650 , i know that dealers are a complete rip off but they retail at £2500 , $3800 !

If something is cheap there is usually a reason why.

$3150 price difference makes me wonder !

I forgot to mention that when buying the 215's ferick grey from BMW i had to buy rear fender deflectors as part of the package they where only £18 but they sit in side the rear arches as changing the wheel size also changes the way the slip stream runs down the car and makes it handle , steering wheel wise.

Just something to consider when messing with wheel sizes ET'S etc, ask your local dealer about the rear wheel arch deflectors and if you require them when changing to non genuine.

Last edited by cryptic23; 08-04-2010 at 02:26 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2010, 02:33 PM   #10
x6sy
Private
Rep

Quote:
it's not ideal really no, 20" wheels should be

But the tyres are correct so it could work ok with the o-ring,

It's really down to you guys to decide if you want reps on your cars , personally i don't get it they are the things that are spinning round at speed keeping you on the road !

In the UK the X6 is about £55K depending on options , i would not even consider putting on cheap reps even if just for winter or summer either way.

It really is not a good idea , i know we all want to save a bit here and there but spending so much on a car and putting on reps that are not even the right fitment ....

Buy cheap and you buy twice that is for sure, i would not want to be going at speed and the wheel crack with my baby daughter in the back , they also void the warranty and best to ask your insurance company if it would effect a claim if you had non genuine wheels on.

Don't get me wrong i am not all for spending money but my X6 cost me a bloody fortune i am not prepared to mess with it !

I have a set of genuine 20" Y spoke with tyres ( have done 2000 miles only ) As i took the plunge and bought some genuine BMW 215"s ( ferrick grey)
If you where in the uk you would be laughing as i am going to put them on ebay, my point is they do come up second hand.

I would suggest waiting for some genuine second hand X6 wheels to pop up.

Maybe not aesthetically but safety wise forget it.

$800 a set shipped so lets say the wheels are costing $650 , i know that dealers are a complete rip off but they retail at £2500 , $3800 !

If something is cheap there is usually a reason why.

$3150 price difference makes me wonder !

I forgot to mention that when buying the 215's ferick grey from BMW i had to buy rear fender deflectors as part of the package they where only £18 but they sit in side the rear arches as changing the wheel size also changes the way the slip stream runs down the car and makes it handle , steering wheel wise.

Just something to consider when messing with wheel sizes ET'S etc, ask your local dealer about the rear wheel arch deflectors and if you require them when changing to non genuine.
Valid point. Much thanks
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2012, 04:07 AM   #11
SmartBastard
Stupid as shit
Austria
Rep
Drives: '08 M Coupe

Quote:

Tyres:

Argh finally, was looking for wheels specs!
Thanks guys!
Appreciate 0