XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

05-20-2018, 05:39 PM   #23
AlphaBetaX5
United_States
Rep
Drives: E70 X5 3.0i xDrive N52

Quote:
Originally Posted by carbonM View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaBetaX5 View Post
I replaced the VVT servomotor with a brand new VDO continental (from ECS tuning).

Have not started the car yet. Instead I did the ignition on /off cycle a few times and noticed the servomotor initial adjustments are quite noisy and noticeable. (Compared to the old servomotor).

The click sound upon turning on the ignition is, I think, the adjustments. The sound afterwards, is still the same sound I could hear when the old servomotor was installed. The second sound is like the camshaft returns back to its point, therefore skipping the wormgear teeth.

Is this normal?!
I believe there is a programming procedure when you replace the VVT. It sounded like it did rotate correctly at first, but then I definitely hear some sort of grinding.
I went back and watched the startup videos I'd recorded with the old servomotor, and noticed similar noises! Maybe the new one sounds a little louder.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2018, 01:18 PM   #24
carbonM
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 E70 50iMt, 2011 e82 135i

Quote:
I went back and watched the startup videos I'd recorded with the old servomotor, and noticed similar noises! Maybe the new one sounds a little louder.
This is a tough one. How does the car drive with the new VVT? How many miles are on the car?
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2018, 01:36 PM   #25
AlphaBetaX5
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by carbonM View Post
Quote:
This is a tough one. How does the car drive with the new VVT? How many miles are on the car?
I haven't driven it yet myself. But according to my wife, there was a bit of hesitation.

94 k miles.

The clunk was very substantial and loud yesterday.

No clunk this morning. I might start parking the car with front-in, instead of rear-in.

If things improve by parking rear side inclined, then this is a not the camshaft issue. I will try getting a diagnosis from a BMW indy shop.

My last solution will be to rid myself of it. Costs once, but man, I cannot afford working on it!
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2018, 07:35 PM   #26
AlphaBetaX5
United_States
Rep

It's the 6hp19 clunk!

Turns out it's not the engine, it's rather the self-checking mechanism of the Automatic Transmission 6HP19!

SI B 24 08 08 December 2008 Automatic Transmission Technical Service

https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/at...8;d=1458839525

This SIB instructs dealers to reprogram the EGS module (or EGS and CAS) for this specific clunk.

Many dealers have sent owners back that this is normal! There is no cure for this!!
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2018, 01:27 PM   #27
Modern Autos
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 E70 3.0si

Quote:
Turns out it's not the engine, it's rather the self-checking mechanism of the Automatic Transmission 6HP19!

SI B 24 08 08 December 2008 Automatic Transmission Technical Service

https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/at...9&d=1458839525

This SIB instructs dealers to reprogram the EGS module (or EGS and CAS) for this specific clunk.

Many dealers have sent owners back that this is normal! There is no cure for this!!
So, did you reprogram it?
Appreciate 0