XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

12-25-2011, 08:25 PM   #1
flexinator
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335xi coupe

Garage List
2008 335xi  [0.00]
HELP! Diesel qustion

My uncle has a X5d, and is on his way to florida. The Urea tank tells him he has 500 miles until its empty and he has 1000 miles to go. Its 10pm... is there someplace that would sell more of it to add at a gas stop off of 95? Any great ideas... I told him just to leave it running the whole trip, and worry about it after he arrives...

Any ideas appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2011, 05:37 PM   #2
tjank123
Geh Hau Ab
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 X5-35d, '08 ZM Coupe

Most truck stops and auto stores sell DEF (Diesel Exhaust Fluid). BMW recommends their BMW Diesel Exhaust Fluid or specifically their alternative is "NOx reduction agent AUS 32". I picked up a bottle from the dealer for about $25 (twice as much as the auto stores). There is a "L-shapes" plastic tool either in the trunk side pocket or/under the carpet to remove the cap in the engine to refill it. There is a plastic funnel in their as well to fill it. I read that each tank of diesel will use a 3% mixture to start the vehicle. Therefore, once it is gone it will unlikely not be able to start since diesel is not very compustable. If the vehicle is still under 50,000 miles, the dealer will refill for free.