XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

12-13-2011, 10:59 PM   #1
skalberti
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 Mineral White M3

Crashed X5, need advice

So last night on my way home, some idiot decided to to make a left turn in front of me as I entered the intersection. I swerved left to miss her, but unfortunately i clipped the rear wheel and side of her ford escape. She was issued a citation for failure to yield. i was traveling 35-40mph. The speed limit was 40 mph. My first question is has anyone that's been in a wreck with a USAA customer been treated fairly or do I need to start talking to a lawyer? My car is only 4 months old and just hit 3,000 miles. I know the car is gonna take a big hit on depreciation, so I'm filing for loss of value. I spoke to the used BMW manager at my dealership and he said to ask for at least $5,000. My 2nd question is, how do they determine how much the car has depreciated? I know the insurance company will just try to low ball me, so I'm wondering what I need to do to keep from getting screwed. Any lawyers, please chime in. Thanks in advance!

12-14-2011, 01:12 AM   #2
jacb1301
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 X5 35d AW-Tobacco

As a USAA member let me assure you that you will be treated very well. You might even feel as though you were the USAA member, not tue other person. I would be shocked to hear you are treated any less. Do you have any military back ground? Or any family members? USAA is the best insurance company I have ever had and would recommend you, or any one for that matter, to look in o a membership. Unbelievable customer service or both I insurance and banking. Sorry you had the wreck, hope to see you ride looking brand new soon. PM me if you have some specific questions about USAA. Good luck!
      12-14-2011, 06:48 AM   #3
skalberti
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacb1301 View Post
As a USAA member let me assure you that you will be treated very well. You might even feel as though you were the USAA member, not tue other person. I would be shocked to hear you are treated any less. Do you have any military back ground? Or any family members? USAA is the best insurance company I have ever had and would recommend you, or any one for that matter, to look in o a membership. Unbelievable customer service or both I insurance and banking. Sorry you had the wreck, hope to see you ride looking brand new soon. PM me if you have some specific questions about USAA. Good luck!
I've dealt with USAA before when I got rear ended, and they seemed fair. This time, they seem to be taking a stance of no liability. They even told me to go ahead an turn it in on my insurance, even though by the police report and citation, their member was as fault. Thanks for the info though. I'm hoping things start smoothing out. I don't have any military background so I'm not eligible for their insurance.
      12-14-2011, 08:08 AM   #4
jacb1301
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 X5 35d AW-Tobacco

Sorry to hear they are not moving very smooth on this issue. I think they changed up their membership qualifications. Something worth looking in to if you are interested. We are saving close to $50 a month for our coverage.
      12-14-2011, 05:48 PM   #5
skalberti
Major
United_States
Rep

Well good news, USAA is going to pay for everything. Right now the estimate is right at $14K but may go up once they get the car drive-able . Most of the suspension was damaged on the right side.
      12-14-2011, 06:35 PM   #6
serge1
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 35d

Garage List
2011 BMW X5 35d  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by skalberti View Post
Well good news, USAA is going to pay for everything. Right now the estimate is right at $14K but may go up once they get the car drive-able . Most of the suspension was damaged on the right side.
That's great. Did you find out about loss of value/depreciation drop reimbursment, since this car will have an accident on its record?
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2011, 11:13 PM   #7
skalberti
Major
United_States
Rep

Not yet, USAA is sending paperwork for the loss of value. I'm just wondering who's goin to calculate, and how they're going to calculate it. BMW said to ask for at least $5K. We'll see what happens.
      12-14-2011, 11:37 PM   #8
Push To Start
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: 11`X5 35d 05`745 07`328 cabrio

Garage List
2007 BMW 328 cabrio  [0.00]
2011 BMW X5  [0.00]
is the rim being replaced??
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2011, 12:30 AM   #9
MistahX5
Rep
Drives: N/A

what size are those wheels? and are they performance?
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2011, 02:34 PM   #10
skalberti
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Push To Start View Post
is the rim being replaced??
Yes, they're replacing the front and rear wheel on that side plus the front tire. Wheels are the 333's that come with the M Sport package and are 20X11 in the rear and 20X9 in the front I believe.
      12-15-2011, 09:46 PM   #11
kormaster
Banned
Rep
Drives: POS car

Looks like a lot of bodywork that needs work. Hopefully mechanical things are still good. Just a warning.... a car fixed extensively in the suspension area or possible bent frame,the car will never feel the same..

Car is so new... it hurts my heart to see the picture. Hope you get everything worked out and go see a doctor even if you feel fine.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2011, 08:30 AM   #12
skalberti
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kormaster View Post
Looks like a lot of bodywork that needs work. Hopefully mechanical things are still good. Just a warning.... a car fixed extensively in the suspension area or possible bent frame,the car will never feel the same..

Car is so new... it hurts my heart to see the picture. Hope you get everything worked out and go see a doctor even if you feel fine.
Ya i was worried about the frame being bent since cars never seem to track straight down the road even after they've been straightened. I'm worried about the strut and spring mount cause the said the wheel took the brunt of the impact. They assured me that they have a frame machine that has lasers and that all the specs given by BMW are entered in and the machine will tell them if any of the specs are out. I don't know though. I don't trust all that stuff. I know I'm not accepting it back unless it's perfect. Unfortunately for them, I'm a perfectionist!
      12-16-2011, 02:30 PM   #13
hyde
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 X3m40i

I am very sorry to hear about your accident, hopefully they fix it right.

Question, What is the front fender/quarter made of? Is that fiberglass? Looks like it cracked and ripped rather then bend.
      12-17-2011, 07:31 PM   #14
skalberti
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden Horn View Post
I am very sorry to hear about your accident, hopefully they fix it right.

Question, What is the front fender/quarter made of? Is that fiberglass? Looks like it cracked and ripped rather then bend.
Some kind of polycarbonate I guess. Just another fancy name for plastic.