XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X6 Forums > General BMW X6 and X6M Forum

02-14-2009, 01:16 AM   #1
archwerks
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: x6 3.5i VR

Power Issues MAY Require N e w Battery *

What a stupid way to lose 1/2 hr. of message when the site terminates while ur still typing

BMW needs a worldwide total recall to check that the battery installed in x6's are correct.
After 3 visits, nobody suspected that the wrong battery could be installed from the factory!

If i had not come across the Car & Driver article on their Long Term x6 test report, and read that they had discovered the wrong battery installed from the factory, i'd still be wasting time at my dealer to get them to resolve the problem!

Send those responsible for installing & those inspecting their work/quality control for vehicle electronics, back to washing the factory floor with a mop for a month minimum!

Provide some valuable consideration, as a gesture of goodwill, to those of us who've spent countless hours/days chasing after their service depts. on wild goose chases.

These are the Canadian part #'s involved:
Supposedly incorrect battery # 61216946334 orignally from Spartenburg factory
Apparently Correct battery # 61217553954 from bmw dealer.

I've mentioned in #15 in "Problems & Solutions" with greater detail.

I would be totally disappointed w/ BMW, & buy from their competition if my battery issues persists!

Last edited by archwerks; 02-14-2009 at 01:36 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2009, 09:14 PM   #2
akraptor
Lieutenant
Romania
Rep
Drives: 35 D

Huh, my car after only one week (less than 700 miles) didn't want to start today from first button push. True, it's a bit cold here (O degrees Celsius) and didn't start the car in 24 hours. But that's not a reason. . .My 20 years old Pajero starts (not from first try) but starts, after 2 (two) weeks of staying still in the cold. . .not 1 day. . I have a Bosch battery on it.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2009, 10:36 PM   #3
akraptor
Lieutenant
Romania
Rep
Drives: 35 D

My bad!! I was wrong, . . engine not starting because I forgot to depress the brake pedal. . need to stuck this in my head. .too many years driving with a stick.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2009, 03:47 AM   #4
freedevil
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Solara

hehe that's funny
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2009, 12:01 PM   #5
mirandardm
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW 528iS; BMW X6 35i

Battery Issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by archwerks View Post
What a stupid way to lose 1/2 hr. of message when the site terminates while ur still typing

BMW needs a worldwide total recall to check that the battery installed in x6's are correct.
After 3 visits, nobody suspected that the wrong battery could be installed from the factory!

If i had not come across the Car & Driver article on their Long Term x6 test report, and read that they had discovered the wrong battery installed from the factory, i'd still be wasting time at my dealer to get them to resolve the problem!

Send those responsible for installing & those inspecting their work/quality control for vehicle electronics, back to washing the factory floor with a mop for a month minimum!

Provide some valuable consideration, as a gesture of goodwill, to those of us who've spent countless hours/days chasing after their service depts. on wild goose chases.

These are the Canadian part #'s involved:
Supposedly incorrect battery # 61216946334 orignally from Spartenburg factory
Apparently Correct battery # 61217553954 from bmw dealer.

I've mentioned in #15 in "Problems & Solutions" with greater detail.

I would be totally disappointed w/ BMW, & buy from their competition if my battery issues persists!
Hello Archwerks,
My X6 35i also have the same "increased battery discharged" issue. I brought it to the dealer today, and they checked the battery installed; they confirmed it to be the correct battery . Their recommendation is for me to buy a trickle battery charger, as they said my driving profile is low (NOT ENOUGH USE OF CAR). I have 3 cars and yes, the X6 is kept mostly in the garage.
Do you think they are giving me the straight answer? Appreciate your comments.

Thanks,
mirandardm (from Calgary, Canada)
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2009, 12:18 PM   #6
Daniel B
X6 Driver
Sweden
Rep
Drives: BMW X6 3.5D

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirandardm View Post
Hello Archwerks,
My X6 35i also have the same "increased battery discharged" issue. I brought it to the dealer today, and they checked the battery installed; they confirmed it to be the correct battery . Their recommendation is for me to buy a trickle battery charger, as they said my driving profile is low (NOT ENOUGH USE OF CAR). I have 3 cars and yes, the X6 is kept mostly in the garage.
Do you think they are giving me the straight answer? Appreciate your comments.

Thanks,
mirandardm (from Calgary, Canada)
Low driving profile! Thats BS some weeks im only driving my X6 about 50 km 2 km trip in the morning and 2 km at evening and i do it in (-15 degree celsius) (its cold winter here in sweden) I never ever had any starting problem...(knock on wood)...

Let them tell you the part nr of the battery. And also tell them its 2009! A new car no matter how you drive should act like yours.

Good luck.
      03-27-2009, 01:59 PM   #7
mirandardm
Canada
Rep

Hello Daniel B,
I checked with the dealer shop that performed work on my X6 35i and they confirmed my battery part no. is 61217553954 (90 amp), which is the correct battery per above from Archwerks.

My problem is just the error message "increased battery discharge" and reset the date and time, which happens in December, and in early March when I went on holidays, for a period of 8 days for each time (X6 kept inside garage). The car started okay, but I have to reset the date and time. Since, I have the other car (better winter tires), I kept the X6 mostly in the garage.
Anybody else out there, with a low driving profile and encountered the same problem?
Thanks,
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2009, 03:04 PM   #8
autodahn
Kassel Kid
Rep
Drives: X6 50i

I too was told that low use/short trips might be the reason I keep getting a "check engine light" (see the other "engine light" threads), but I have never gotten the "increased battery discharge" warning.

Maybe this forum's title should be changed to "The X6 Electrical System Guinea Pigs Complaint Forum"!!

-ad
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2009, 02:02 PM   #9
Kojak
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 535i M-Sport

I've been through this. I also make a lot of short trips. These deep discharges eventually degrade the battery. The symptoms you get are signs of its impending doom. The dealer will eventually have to replace it but will have to go through a set of tests mandated by BMW that probably cost more than the battery before BMW will honor the warranty on it. I did the trickle charging and checked battery voltages a few times to convince myself the battery was bad, then took the data to the dealer and he agreed and replaced the battery after doing his own tests. There will be a log of the low voltage incidents in the car somewhere that the dealer can read.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2009, 01:12 AM   #10
mirandardm
Canada
Rep

Hello Kojak,
Was your battery the proper kind for X6? My dealer here in Calgary, Canada confirmed to me it is the right kind. They also checked it overnight for trickle charging and battery drain checks, and found to be okay according to them? Also, alternator is okay as well.
Are they giving me the straight answer? They said that due to my low/short trips driving profile is the cause? Please comment.
Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2009, 01:49 AM   #11
xDrive50i
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: '09 750i individual

Quote:
Hello Kojak,
Was your battery the proper kind for X6? My dealer here in Calgary, Canada confirmed to me it is the right kind. They also checked it overnight for trickle charging and battery drain checks, and found to be okay according to them? Also, alternator is okay as well.
Are they giving me the straight answer? They said that due to my low/short trips driving profile is the cause? Please comment.
Thanks.
This has been extensively discussed in a different thread.

Do a and you will find a ton of useful answers and information
2009 750i individual | Citrin Black Metallic | Platinum Merino Extended Leather | BMW Individual Composition Package (includes Sport Package) | Dynamic Handling Package | Multimedia Package | Technology Package | Executive Package
http://www.7post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=234432
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2009, 02:42 AM   #12
archwerks
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Hello Kojak,
Thanks.
B 4 I got them to check 4 the correct batt. as per Car & Driver, they replaced the IBS Cable Part # 61-12-9-142-812 & did a diagnostic saying i did a lot of sub 2 km trips ( Mostly chauffeuring the kids), & (BS) i should trickle charge it, when not driving it much. I said i didn't buy a hybrid ! & this is 2009 ! Since that & new batt. no more resetting clock issues as i love driving it everyday now & mothballed my other car!
After all the time spent, running back to dealer, they should comp us w/ some free gas!!
BMW needs to get another battery supplier!
I like the Jekyll( put it in Drive/leave adaptive drive normal) & Hyde ( paddleshift manual or sport / adpt. drive engaged) character that u can put the car thru depending on your mood!
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2009, 08:50 AM   #13
mirandardm
Canada
Rep

Thank you Archwerks,
I will bring the car back to the dealer, and will show your post to them.
My other question, after they replaced the IBS cable (before replacing your battery), did you get the "increased battery discharge" issue? I just want to know, as they had confirmed after checking that my battery is the correct one (# 61217553954).
Maybe, even if a correct battery is installed could be defective?
Thanks for your thoughts.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2009, 09:14 AM   #14
Kojak
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 535i M-Sport

For the record, I never checked to see if I originally had the right battery and BMW never commented on that. The new battery has been fine for almost 4 months but the original battery also went that long without symptoms.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2009, 12:59 AM   #15
archwerks
Captain
Canada
Rep

battery pwr issue

Quote:
Thank you Archwerks,
I will bring the car back to the dealer, and will show your post to them.
My other question, after they replaced the IBS cable (before replacing your battery), did you get the "increased battery discharge" issue? I just want to know, as they had confirmed after checking that my battery is the correct one (# 61217553954).
Maybe, even if a correct battery is installed could be defective?
Thanks for your thoughts.
B 4 anything was replaced they kept it overnite for discharge monitoring on a scope of some sort & told me that overnite it had for no apparent reason, showed/recorded an unusual discharge when the car was suppose to be switched off.
That's when they replaced the IBS cable.
then my clocks still kept resetting to 0, tho not as often.
Then i read the Car & Driver x6 long term test article and picked up on their problem.
Then i took it back for the batt change.
Since then , touch wood, no more problemo....
what a giant waste of time!
I wouldn't exactly go gungho & get the x6 hybrid when it comes out.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2009, 08:40 AM   #16
mirandardm
Canada
Rep

Quote:
B 4 anything was replaced they kept it overnite for discharge monitoring on a scope of some sort & told me that overnite it had for no apparent reason, showed/recorded an unusual discharge when the car was suppose to be switched off.
That's when they replaced the IBS cable.
then my clocks still kept resetting to 0, tho not as often.
Then i read the Car & Driver x6 long term test article and picked up on their problem.
Then i took it back for the batt change.
Since then , touch wood, no more problemo....
Thank you,
They also kept my car overnite for trickle charging, checking, etc. and found no problem; alternator is okay.
So far, no time/date resetting happening (5 days now). I will drive to Edmonton today (600 km return) and will observe the car. Hopefully, it is okay.
Thanks again.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2009, 09:22 AM   #17
xDrive50i
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
I agree with you on the giant waste of time, the factory SHOULD have put the right battery in from the start. I wonder how that got by so many people and especially QC personnel!?!

Why do you think that we should wait to get a hybrid X6, do you think they would put the wrong battery in??? That would never happen at BMW!
2009 750i individual | Citrin Black Metallic | Platinum Merino Extended Leather | BMW Individual Composition Package (includes Sport Package) | Dynamic Handling Package | Multimedia Package | Technology Package | Executive Package
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2009, 09:25 AM   #18
xDrive50i
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Thank you,
They also kept my car overnite for trickle charging, checking, etc. and found no problem; alternator is okay.
So far, no time/date resetting happening (5 days now). I will drive to Edmonton today (600 km return) and will observe the car. Hopefully, it is okay.
Thanks again.
As far as I can tell from what other people on this forum have posted in the past, their problems would only show if they did repeated short trips and usually in cold weather. Long trips are GOOD for the battery. Short trips are not.
So your drive to Edmonton should be good for your battery and nothing out of the ordinary should happen

Have a good trip and enjoy the ride
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2009, 09:40 AM   #19
rockmed
Private
Rep
Drives: none

Got a call from my dealer to bring in the X6 for a recall - battery replacement. Didn't have any problems in the first place. It took about 2 hours to swap in the new one.
Appreciate 0