XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X6 Forums > General BMW X6 and X6M Forum

12-26-2013, 11:10 AM   #1
snoopstar
Rep
Drives: X6 5.0 X-Drive

Multiple System Failures

I have a 2008 X6 Petrol V8 with 80,000KM on the clock.

For sometime now I have been getting multiple failures, usually starting with reduced engine power. Sometimes this is then followed by active steering failures, transmission failure, DSC failure, seat belt pretensioner failures and I think some others. Usually turning car off and back on again clears all these faults and it continues on ok. This may happen every day or not for 2 weeks !

A couple of days ago it died completely after turning it off during one of its 'episodes'. The battery appeared to be dead, so much so other than the car not starting, I couldn't even close a window. I also had to manually disengage the transmission and parking brake to be able to push it to a parking spot.

I then had the battery replaced by a mobile battery service, car fired up and all was good.

All was good apart from I couldn't reset the parking brake. Manual says just operate the foot brake but this didn't do it. Still says parking brake failure.

Then today I go out and I have a high battery discharge message, so I take it for a drive and get all these faults as before back again.

So, I have two problems:

1. How do I reset the parking brake after manual override operation?
2. What could be causing these multiple system failures.

I believed the battery was the cause after googling it but this appears not to have fixed it. I would rather not have to take it into BMW as I am in need of the car daily, it's out of warranty and am always hopeful it is something I can sort myself. Not to mention the potential cost of a Middle East BMW dealer fault diagnosing. Clutching at straws probably I know.

So, what should I look at before I take it to an expert?

Thanks all.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2013, 03:04 PM   #2
rodell
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 X6 5.0

I had a similar problem, but not all systems failed. The battery was not being properly maintained by the charge controller, harming the battery and leading to strange quirks.

There is a simple test at a test point on the charge controller <7.8volts the controller is bad, and >7.8 volts it is ok.

Multiple failures like that can also be caused by communications bus failures, but they usually aren't as intermittent as you suggest.

Another possibility is the negative battery lead. Look it over carefully - there have been a LOT of them replaced for some reason.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2014, 10:01 AM   #3
snoopstar
Rep
Drives: X6 5.0 X-Drive

Thanks.

Eventually the battery went dead. Had it replaced and all was good for a short while. Then the issues started again. After a bit of googling, I tried disconnecting the IBS lead at the battery and this appears to have fixed it. Well, ok not fixed it but pointed to something to do with the battery system. I still have issues with intermittent Engine Fault, Reduced power problems but I shall start a new thread on that one.
Appreciate 0