XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

02-21-2016, 04:06 PM   #155
Dr.Duct_Mossburg
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Space Gray · E70 X5M

Is this really worth doing?

I was going to wait until I had problems with mine to get these swapped out.
      02-21-2016, 08:00 PM   #156
jrmccain
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M5C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Duct_Mossburg View Post
Is this really worth doing?

I was going to wait until I had problems with mine to get these swapped out.
My s/a said that the faulty injectors were known to not properly seal so that they leaked fuel. The leaking fuel creates a condition called bore wash which can be terminal to the engine. Think of the fuel as a solvent getting into your engine's internals and breaking down any lubricating properties your oil may have. You can imagine the damage that could be done.

There is really no reason not to get it done right away. In my opinion, if BMW is willing to spend the money to do a recall, it's clear that they anticipate a much more costly outcome if they don't. By the way they've handled it I don't think this is a small matter. If you wait until the it's "necessary" to replace the injectors, you may be replacing more than the injectors only.

As an aside, I had my injectors replaced and that annoying "sewing machine" sound is gone. The new injectors are much quieter. What I don't know is if that's because it's a better design or the old ones were on there way to failing. Just my .02
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2016, 11:07 AM   #157
JupiterBMW
Self Proclaimed Roundel Junkie
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 E90 M3 & '13 F25 X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrmccain View Post
As an aside, I had my injectors replaced and that annoying "sewing machine" sound is gone. The new injectors are much quieter. What I don't know is if that's because it's a better design or the old ones were on there way to failing. Just my .02
Hmm, Is that the whirring noise you get when you're giving the truck a little bit of throttle? I have had it since new, and I still have it after getting new injectors a couple weeks ago. I always throught it was a belt/pulley, but I've dismissed it as we've had the truck for about 15K miles now...

I always forget to ask my SA about it when the truck is in there...
Past: '11 E91 335is, '11 E90 M3, '10 X5M, '14 328d, '03 330i Dinan3 ZHP, '04 330i ZHP, '12 X3 35i
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2016, 08:21 PM   #158
jrmccain
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M5C

Quote:
Originally Posted by JupiterBMW View Post
Hmm, Is that the whirring noise you get when you're giving the truck a little bit of throttle? I have had it since new, and I still have it after getting new injectors a couple weeks ago. I always throught it was a belt/pulley, but I've dismissed it as we've had the truck for about 15K miles now...

Well the sound that I heard was really noticeable when you were coasting or practically coasting and you just tap the gas pedal. And it was pretty obvious that it was coming from the top of the engine. I didn't notice it when I first got the car and thought maybe i was imagining the sound to be increasing. I mentioned the noise to my s/a and was told that there was a recall for the injectors and that maybe they could be going bad, but also warned that because of the high psi of the fuel rail, the injectors can be noisy.

It sounds like you may have something else going on. I'll tell you what convinced me it was the injectors was when I drove the truck without the engine cover, the sound was noticeably louder. Did you mention the sound to your s/a, and if so what did he/she say?
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2016, 10:31 PM   #159
JupiterBMW
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrmccain
Quote:

Well the sound that I heard was really noticeable when you were coasting or practically coasting and you just tap the gas pedal. And it was pretty obvious that it was coming from the top of the engine. I didn't notice it when I first got the car and thought maybe i was imagining the sound to be increasing. I mentioned the noise to my s/a and was told that there was a recall for the injectors and that maybe they could be going bad, but also warned that because of the high psi of the fuel rail, the injectors can be noisy.

It sounds like you may have something else going on. I'll tell you what convinced me it was the injectors was when I drove the truck without the engine cover, the sound was noticeably louder. Did you mention the sound to your s/a, and if so what did he/she say?
I haven't mentioned it at all, I never remember to because it's such a minor issue. It's just a weird whirring noise that I can hear when giving the truck light throttle. If you jump on it, you don't hear anything. When sitting at a light, I don't hear it. I've never seen or driven another X5M, so I don't know if it's normal.
Past: '11 E91 335is, '11 E90 M3, '10 X5M, '14 328d, '03 330i Dinan3 ZHP, '04 330i ZHP, '12 X3 35i
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2016, 10:39 PM   #160
RickM5x3
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 X5M

Quote:

No that golf cart whirring noise is the oil pump. Common issue. I hear it on so many x5ms. I replaced mine with the updated pump which is much quieter.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2016, 10:55 PM   #161
JupiterBMW
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickM5x3
Quote:

No that golf cart whirring noise is the oil pump. Common issue. I hear it on so many x5ms. I replaced mine with the updated pump which is much quieter.
Hmm that makes me a little nervous... Documentation or threads on this?
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2016, 06:42 AM   #162
RickM5x3
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 X5M

Quote:
Hmm that makes me a little nervous... Documentation or threads on this?

http://www.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=850829

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...=486008&page=2
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2016, 08:45 AM   #163
denaliman
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW X6M Competition

Garage List
2013 X6M  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by m5james View Post
Injectors are $900 through Rockauto for index 12 and they're BMW parts, took my buddy is a mechanic at BMW and he did it for me at my house in 8hrs. $4500 is absurd and I'm sure they're inflating their goodwill numbers to pat themselves on the back.
Just had my X6M done here in Canada at dealer all under warranty. Parts are $1,500 plus 6 1/2 hrs labor. $4500 USD is crazy.

Appreciate 0
      02-23-2016, 08:49 AM   #164
denaliman
Major
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2013 X6M  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by theaudir8fan View Post
this is great news, I hope it follows through to canada too, I have been suspecting that my injectors is somewhat leaking for a really long time, altho being catless and tuned, it is a lot harder to tell the symptoms
I had mine done last week here in Canada. When I asked them if the injectors were bad they told me they just changed them regardless because they are bound to fail. 2013 X6M.

Appreciate 0
      02-23-2016, 03:11 PM   #165
cbakking
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E70-X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrmccain View Post
My s/a said that the faulty injectors were known to not properly seal so that they leaked fuel. The leaking fuel creates a condition called bore wash which can be terminal to the engine. Think of the fuel as a solvent getting into your engine's internals and breaking down any lubricating properties your oil may have. You can imagine the damage that could be done.

There is really no reason not to get it done right away. In my opinion, if BMW is willing to spend the money to do a recall, it's clear that they anticipate a much more costly outcome if they don't. By the way they've handled it I don't think this is a small matter. If you wait until the it's "necessary" to replace the injectors, you may be replacing more than the injectors only.

Yeah, when I got my car injectors replaced that "sewing machine" sound or I called it "diesel engine" like noise is definitely gone.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2016, 05:51 PM   #166
boneca
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X5

Garage List
2013 BMW X5M  [10.00]
2011 BMW X5  [10.00]
I'm wondering after reading this tread if I should check my as well, I probably should, the warranty will run out in May, but if this is recall it shouldn't matter.

EDIT
I picked up my car from service today, dropped it off last Thursday for injectors replacement and few other things, as far as injectors go, no replacement for me, all injectors were indexed 11 so no replacement, not sure if it's good or bad I guess we will have to see.

Last edited by boneca; 03-10-2016 at 11:39 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2016, 05:53 PM   #167
zeroboot
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 X5M - sometimes

Well, mine is back at the shop again...

Ticking constantly, at idle, under acceleration, at constant throttle. Only time it doesn't tick is when it's turned off!

I know something is wrong, but i have a feeling BMW techs have no clue how to diagnose this .I told the SA I do not want my car back until this is finally fixed .See where that goes. On the plus side, I know the shop foreman and the SA very well and they will do whatever they can I am sure. It's the techs I don't trust, except to replace things .Like maybe the whole engine!

Also in for steering pump and AC compressor. Haha .Bgeez.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2016, 04:59 AM   #168
koontek
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW X5 M

Hey Guys,
I need some advice about this recall. My 2012 X5M with 48,500 is at the local dealer ship getting a oil change and new spark plugs right now. I emailed this service bulletin to my service adviser and she said

"The service bulletin that you sent is not for Canadian cars. They do not cover any service actions under that warranty from what we could find. The car does state No Open Campaigns at this time, if something was

Covered it would list under that when I check the Vin."

I just purchase this car from a dealership in Washington state who acquired it from Canada. To my knowledge it was a US spec car sold in Canada new and then brought back to the states. My cluster is in MPH and not KPH. Any advice on how proceed guys?
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2016, 10:38 AM   #169
denaliman
Major
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2013 X6M  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by koontek View Post
Hey Guys,
I need some advice about this recall. My 2012 X5M with 48,500 is at the local dealer ship getting a oil change and new spark plugs right now. I emailed this service bulletin to my service adviser and she said

"The service bulletin that you sent is not for Canadian cars. They do not cover any service actions under that warranty from what we could find. The car does state No Open Campaigns at this time, if something was

Covered it would list under that when I check the Vin."

I just purchase this car from a dealership in Washington state who acquired it from Canada. To my knowledge it was a US spec car sold in Canada new and then brought back to the states. My cluster is in MPH and not KPH. Any advice on how proceed guys?
Not true. My Canadian car has the recall and I had the injectors changed. If you are signed up for mybmw you can check recall status there for your vin. Go to the bmw website>owners>sign in or set up account.

Appreciate 0
      03-15-2016, 12:48 PM   #170
koontek
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW X5 M

Quote:
Originally Posted by denaliman View Post
Not true. My Canadian car has the recall and I had the injectors changed. If you are signed up for mybmw you can check recall status there for your vin. Go to the bmw website>owners>sign in or set up account.
I just tried to sign up for mybmw but it says

"We're sorry but the vehicle you are trying to register is not available at this time."

Any other ideas ?
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2016, 09:08 AM   #171
smolieri
Private
Rep
Drives: 2010 X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by denaliman View Post
Where within that web page is the recall information? I am not able to find it.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2016, 01:18 PM   #172
xpl0sive
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: bmw

Quote:
Originally Posted by smolieri View Post
Where within that web page is the recall information? I am not able to find it.
Just Log in to your account and go to Recalls in the drop down box. I outlined it for you.

Appreciate 0
      03-23-2016, 04:03 PM   #173
Fats
Rep
Drives: X5M

Quote:
They reset adaptations and topped up the fluids. Nothing drastic, but I do feel like throttle response is a bit better. Of course, it could just be due to reset adaptations...
When you say "reset adaptations" do you mean that they removed error messeges or that they updated (reflashed) your ECU?
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2016, 08:21 PM   #174
Fats
Rep
Drives: X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by xpl0sive View Post
Just Log in to your account and go to Recalls in the drop down box. I outlined it for you.

When I go to mybmw and choose my vehicle info it doesn't give the information you show in the drop down. Perhaps it needs to be done on a computer(?). I'll try and post results of my attempt.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2016, 08:35 PM   #175
m5james
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '10 X5M Alpine White on Sakhir

Has anyone had their newer Index 11+ injectors fail on them? I've got 12's now, but earlier this week was running a GTO (walked him) but shortly after I exhibited the same surging, puting and black sooting on the rear of the truck from when my 07's accompanied with the same reduced power warning and all. I haven't washed the car since to give myself a clean slate, but I swear it feels like I'm down on power, boost takes longer to build and the engine feels rougher. I don't have a CEL, which from what I've read, sounds like it's the only way to get BMW involved in replacing these injectors in general, let alone if they'd do it a second time.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2016, 09:29 PM   #176
X-static
Rep
Drives: 2011 X5M Melbourne Red

The recall wasn't issued due to losing races against GTO's. The recall applied to some injectors leaking fuel into the cylinders causing bore wash. From what I have researched, index 11 and up injectors do not have this issue. If you've lost power after redlining your motor to walk the GTO, then you probably have issues far beyond leaking injectors.
Appreciate 0