XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X6 Forums > General BMW X6 and X6M Forum

12-17-2009, 02:00 PM   #45
TTBear
Captain
Rep
Drives: '20 Huracán/'19 M2Comp/'23 X4M

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 vert View Post
Have you driven the M3 on long road trips?

It becomes a grandtourer on the long highways, excellent ride quality (EDC) with both 18s or 19s.

Unless you are complaining about luggage space or something then the E90 would fill that void.
+1,000,000.

The M3 is a GREAT GT car. The suspension is much more compliant than the e46 M3. Still not Mercedes-cushy, but I would have NO problems with driving one across the country (and I don't have EDC!). That's one of the great things about this car - GT, AND track whore, LOL.
      01-30-2010, 02:04 PM   #46
991GT3
Captain
Rep
Drives: Ford Raptor

I thought it time to give a long term comparison review of my 2010 BMW X6M and my 2008 Cayenne GTS(which is now my wife’s vehicle). I gave a few initial impressions a couple of months back but I think it was a mistake to comment that early in my ownership. I (and I think a lot people) get excited about any new vehicle and that initial surge of excitement tends to color any attempt at an even-handed review. I also think test drives and car magazine reviews, other than giving concrete specification and performance numbers, are almost worthless. You have to live with a vehicle for awhile, get to know the layout, and figure out whether it is a good match to your needs and personality. Which leads me to the review.

After putting 7000 miles on my BMW and 23000 miles on my Porsche, through all sorts of weather, I have had enough experience to give an accurate assessment. The X6M is clearly the performance leader and the Cayenne GTS is the best all purpose SUV. No surprise there.

The X6M accelerates like a rocket. It jumps to 60 in slightly over 4 seconds and will hit the quarter in 12.8 seconds trapping a 111ish. While the Cayenne hits 60 in 6.0 seconds and the quarter in 14 at 99. So they’re leagues apart on a dry surface. But in the harsh winter climate of the Great Plains those numbers are pretty meaningless for four to five months. When roads are covered with ice and snow, getting purchase is king. You can have all the power in the world but traction control systems will make a 555 hp X6M perform no better than a 405 HP Cayenne. This is where the Porsche shines. Its Air Suspension w/ Porsche Active Suspension Management (PASM) is a god send in snowy conditions. We have had a couple of storms that piled up a 12 plus inches of snow with drifts several feet high for long distances. Just driving out of my garage could be hazardous. In fact I high centered my trucks a few times. In the Cayenne I could just lift it up a few inches and crawl out whereas the X6M requires a good old shovel and a lot of manual labor. This isn’t a rip on the bimmer just a giant plus for any truck that has such a feature.
The GTS also seems more sure footed in inclement weather than the X6M. I have the same Pirelli Scorpion Ice and Snow tires on both so it’s a fair comparison. It could be the better seats, lower center of gravity on the GTS or the fact the rear tires on the BMW are wider than the rears on Porsche. Whatever the reason, the Cayenne is the vehicle of choice in nasty weather.

The interior is kind of a toss-up. The BMW has better electronic gadgets but they’re far from perfect(and sometimes I find them annoying). BMW has a tendency to rely on technology too much, incorporating half baked ideas into production vehicles (eg. iDrive, electronic oil monitoring, HUD, etc) that are distractions rather tan enhancements. Porsche, on the other hand, tends to be more minimalist (which I appreciate too) but stuff like the navigation just flat out sucks. I prefer the little creature features of my BMW. The heated seats and steering wheel are really nice. The Porsche’s heated steering wheel has no rhyme or reason to it (where’s the on/off button?). The sound system and steering wheel are much better in the BMW. While the Porsche’s seats and alcantra leather are superior.
Even though the Cayenne has more space I prefer the easy fold down seats in the BMW. No more time consuming taking off headrests and busting the plastic when you fold the back seats own. I also like the hard rear privacy cover (or whatever they’re called) BMW has to the mesh pull out ones.
On other matters, I prefer the Cayenne’s throaty exhaust note by a mile to the awful noise the BMW makes.

My final judgement is that the BMW is for people that want just one vehicle that can do all things well.
It’s faster than 99% of vehicles out there, it’s very practical, and works well in all seasons.
While the Porsche is the perfect for people that already have a fast car and want a great vehicle for the winter. It is a better winter SUV than the X6M.

-2016 Macan Turbo(GF vehicle)
-2017 Ford Raptor

Last edited by 991GT3; 01-30-2010 at 06:49 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2010, 02:12 PM   #47
dmlgc
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X6MC - 335D

Fantastic review. I like that you point out that the X6 is meant for a particular purpose and that if you have serious winters you may want to have something else on hand.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2010, 03:56 PM   #48
DK35
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: The MONSTR

Garage List
2010 X6 50i  [9.34]
Cayenne is JUNK
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2010, 04:25 PM   #49
991GT3
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DK35 View Post
Cayenne is JUNK

No it isn't

-2017 Ford Raptor
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2010, 05:44 PM   #50
UAxDEATH(NYC)
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X6M 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by 997GT3 View Post
No it isn't
Well, i guess it`s a good car for smooth road, here in NY, he is terrible i had Cayenne S, just a buckets of bolts, i mean for money that i paid. Not worth it. But its my IMHO.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2010, 05:57 PM   #51
DK35
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2010 X6 50i  [9.34]
Porsche should have never come out with an SUV. There was no need to compete with other companies in that market. Porsche is in a league of its own. They all come stripped, they are ugly, and it doesnt matter how much power they have, there is just no place for them in the lineup. Same thing goes for the Cayman.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2010, 06:37 PM   #52
991GT3
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Porsche should have never come out with an SUV. There was no need to compete with other companies in that market. Porsche is in a league of its own. They all come stripped, they are ugly, and it doesnt matter how much power they have, there is just no place for them in the lineup. Same thing goes for the Cayman.
You're kidding, right? The Cayenne lineup has been Porsche's cash cow. The profit from tose SUVs pumped a lot of money in R&D and helped advance their entire lineup. The Cayenne was a brilliant move.
As far as the trucks are concerned they're some of the finest SUVs ever made. Their only problem, like all Porsches, is the extremely high price. My GTS is a great SUV and my previous Cayenne S was great too.

-2017 Ford Raptor
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2010, 06:38 PM   #53
991GT3
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by UAxDEATH(NYC) View Post
Well, i guess it`s a good car for smooth road, here in NY, he is terrible i had Cayenne S, just a buckets of bolts, i mean for money that i paid. Not worth it. But its my IMHO.
You drive a Hummer and call a Cayenne a bucket of bolts? Wow.

-2017 Ford Raptor
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2010, 07:09 PM   #54
DK35
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2010 X6 50i  [9.34]
Not about the $$ man. It's about the marque and the pedigree. Sometimes keeping true to the history and heritage of the brand is worth a lot more than the $$. If you stray too far then you lessen its value.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2010, 07:19 PM   #55
scottjays
Starfleet Command
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

I just traded my 2009 Cayenne GTS for a 2011 X6 50i with PP, (not looking forward to the 3-4 mos wait) oh my!
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2010, 07:30 PM   #56
991GT3
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Not about the $$ man. It's about the marque and the pedigree. Sometimes keeping true to the history and heritage of the brand is worth a lot more than the $$. If you stray too far then you lessen its value.
What does that mean? Have 911s gone downhill since the Cayennes arrived?
Or is it just that it lessened the snob appeal?

-2017 Ford Raptor
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2010, 08:38 PM   #57
DK35
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2010 X6 50i  [9.34]
They became just another car company like everyone else. Never said 911's went down. You seem to be missing the point here. Its the overall perception of the brand not the individual quality of each car.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2010, 09:13 PM   #58
991GT3
Captain
Rep

Quote:
They became just another car company like everyone else. Never said 911's went down. You seem to be missing the point here. Its the overall perception of the brand not the individual quality of each car.
So what? They are and always have been just another car company. I wish more of the snob appeal would be jettisoned because exclusivity and mystique just add to the price.

-2017 Ford Raptor
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2010, 10:15 PM   #59
archwerks
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: x6 3.5i VR

porsche vs bmw

I wondered why the x6 did not have optional ride height adjustment, when i ordered mine in '08. Maybe they'll eventually have it.
But what's the point of carrying the weight of all the features & options that we only use once or 2x a year?

Unless a car company change with the times & create their own market to stay viable they won't be in business long in this economy.
The minivan saved Chrysler, the Cayenne made Porsche competitive as a car maker, the original m5 created a whole new segment.
The GTR is here gunning at Porsche.
Just look at what's happening w/ GM. Adapt or perish.
As car enthusiasts, we have more choices than ever. One who drives a x6 & find it lacking may well jump to the Porsche Cayenne & vice versa to seek that ever elusive Je ne sais quoi
driving experience, few cars have.
Enjoy whatever u drive, while we still have gas to burn !

Last edited by archwerks; 01-30-2010 at 10:26 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2010, 10:36 PM   #60
UAxDEATH(NYC)
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X6M 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by 997GT3 View Post
You drive a Hummer and call a Cayenne a bucket of bolts? Wow.
Hummer truly is a bucket of bolts and being like this ALWAYS, but different pay, and nice on this shitty roads here. Precisely Cayenne is disappoint me, when i first bought i thought THIS IS IT!!! After a while i figured out that is not why we have to pay so much money. I dont pay just for ticker or brand name. I pay for quality. Cayenne is definitely missing it. But there again its just my opinion.

so lets
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2010, 10:54 PM   #61
991GT3
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by UAxDEATH(NYC) View Post
Hummer truly is a bucket of bolts and being like this ALWAYS, but different pay, and nice on this shitty roads here. Precisely Cayenne is disappoint me, when i first bought i thought THIS IS IT!!! After a while i figured out that is not why we have to pay so much money. I dont pay just for ticker or brand name. I pay for quality. Cayenne is definitely missing it. But there again its just my opinion.

so lets
Cheers to you too. I have just had different experiences with them. I think we are coming in at two different perspectives. When I bought my first one I had really low expectations and it surprised me. I agree on the brand name thing though. Porsches are about 20% too high for what you get.

-2017 Ford Raptor
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2010, 02:19 AM   #62
teagueAMX
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Some are road worthy

Quote:

Porsche has a lot of history and has done some great things in the racing world, and has a number of consumer automotive technologies "1st's" to it's credit as well, but basically speaking a Porsche is just a car.

People tend to elevate "marque and the pedigre" to god-like status, but if you look under the thin metal skin of a Porsche - at the purely mechanical aspect of the car - there really isn't much that separates a Porsche from any other car on the road, including BMW. A 911, Cayman, Ceyanne, Boxster, etc. are made of a few different types of metal, various grades of plastic, leather, foam rubber, some electronic circuitry, one or two exotic materials like cf.

They all use virtually the same manufacturing techniques. It comes down to how many they produce a year. A Ferrari review I read the other day commented on the robotized Ferrari factory as "eerily silent" - talk about a great marque. . . using robots?! Chevy and Ford could both argue with Porsche and Ferrari "my robots are better than your robots!". Ferrari's quality control has finally come up but that's due to automating most of their their plants. Let me see, if I turn up the speed on the robot, I could make twice as many. . .for the same cost. . .hmmm.

Saying that one brand is "junk" ignores the basic fact that all such companies are run by accountants. Besides, isn't Porsche just another subsidiary of Volkswagen these days? I see Lamborghini reviews where people are calling them more expensive Audi's.

Just remember, you may love them but they have no love for you (except your wallet). Take your blinders off.

Last edited by teagueAMX; 01-31-2010 at 11:32 AM..
Appreciate 0