XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

04-03-2013, 01:13 PM   #1
mrpcar
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 X5M

Garage List
Another X5M tire question

It's almost time for new tires at 20,000 miles, all due to the negative camber threads are worn down on the inside of the tires.

On replacement tires I do not care for run flats, so regular tires will do.

However I wonder if anyone know any replacement tires for the X5M 20" that have the same thread pattern on both halves of the tire?

So basically every 10,000 miles I will have the tires removed and flip them from one side to the other. Should get more life out of them that way.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2013, 04:55 PM   #2
smyles
Major
Rep
Drives: '21 X5

toyo STII
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2013, 07:09 AM   #3
mrpcar
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by smyles View Post
toyo STII
Thanks
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2013, 10:27 AM   #4
fuddman
Major
Rep
Drives: 528-maybe

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpcar View Post
It's almost time for new tires at 20,000 miles, all due to the negative camber threads are worn down on the inside of the tires.

On replacement tires I do not care for run flats, so regular tires will do.

However I wonder if anyone know any replacement tires for the X5M 20" that have the same thread pattern on both halves of the tire?

So basically every 10,000 miles I will have the tires removed and flip them from one side to the other. Should get more life out of them that way.
I'm not sure why you want to align your tires in a way that causes inside tire wear or any uneven tire wear, for that matter.
I've just changed my run flat 20s to non-rft Continental Extreme Contact DWS (uneven tread design) and asked the tire shop to align the tires for even wear. I made a point of this because I was told the BMW alignment specs allow for a range of ways to align the tires. That range, supposedly, accommodates a number of driving styles, spirited, normal, and so forth. After letting go of my original Dunlop rfts at 17k miles (showing lots of uneven wear), I wanted to get longer life out of the tires without having to resort to swapping the tires every now and then. I do mostly straight line driving.
I would consider Michilin if the even tread design is a must.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2013, 10:55 AM   #5
mrpcar
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
I was not aware I can dial back the negative camber in the rear. I just had my car aligned by the dealer decently they didn't mention any additional setup option at all.

They told me I needed an alignment because my front tires were worn on the outside, later I learn from reading this forum that this was a design flaw in the X5?

My alignment spec. are factory standard, the rear have a massive negative camber dialed to it. Unfortunately in LA we don't have too many twisty roads.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2013, 02:08 PM   #6
fuddman
Major
Rep
Drives: 528-maybe

If you bring it to the dealer and just tell him you want an alignment, you're going to get what BMW says is right for the handling (suspension) of your car. Which, at least in my case, is not the the alignment needed for optimal tread life.
SAs seem to know and accept that BMW approved alignment specs lead to uneven wear. My sense is they are reluctant to offer alternatives for fear of altering the handling characteristics of your car and, of course, running afoul of the liability which could result from that.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2013, 08:05 PM   #7
JLed79
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Fast, very very fast...

Nitto Invo.
Appreciate 0