XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

05-15-2011, 02:45 PM   #1
trisikad
Rep
Drives: 2012 X5

2012 X5 "Blackest"

Hi Guys,

For those of you who have seen an X5 in Jet Black or Black Sapphire exterior, which one appears to have the "blackest" or darkest appearance. Post pics to compare or prove your point....thanks.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2011, 02:56 PM   #2
0_steve
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 24 X5 M60i/20 Z4

I've battled myself back and forth for a while on this (got so annoyed last time, I chose silver). I've owned a sapphire BMW before and always thought I would prefer the jet black. In my opinion, Jet black looks clean and shiny but ages very fast and shows ALL imperfections (go to a lot and look at a pre-owned jet black). Sapphire is darker from far but has a slight haze over it which hides swirl marks (a bit) and seems to age more gracefully.

I also had to wonder why most (more expensive) BMWs have Sapphire vs Jet and it is a pay option on lower models.

Last week I ordered a jet black X5 50i but was concerned about how it looked with the black plastic bumper/trim contrast. After going to the dealership and comparing both, I changed to sapphire.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2011, 07:05 PM   #3
trisikad
Rep
Drives: 2012 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0_steve View Post
I've battled myself back and forth for a while on this (got so annoyed last time, I chose silver). I've owned a sapphire BMW before and always thought I would prefer the jet black. In my opinion, Jet black looks clean and shiny but ages very fast and shows ALL imperfections (go to a lot and look at a pre-owned jet black). Sapphire is darker from far but has a slight haze over it which hides swirl marks (a bit) and seems to age more gracefully.

I also had to wonder why most (more expensive) BMWs have Sapphire vs Jet and it is a pay option on lower models.

Last week I ordered a jet black X5 50i but was concerned about how it looked with the black plastic bumper/trim contrast. After going to the dealership and comparing both, I changed to sapphire.

Steve,

Thank you so much for the input. Do you have pics by any chance to show it?
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2011, 09:52 PM   #4
Lt. General
Rep
Drives: X5 5.0, 540i, 1965 C2

Quote:
Originally Posted by trisikad View Post
Hi Guys,

For those of you who have seen an X5 in Jet Black or Black Sapphire exterior, which one appears to have the "blackest" or darkest appearance. Post pics to compare or prove your point....thanks.
Jet black is no question, the "blackest", due to the lack of metallic. The multi color metallic in the Sapphire lends itself towards the charcoal, but mainly in direct sunlight. Jet Black also shows more scratches, stone chips, door ding's, wax residue, and dust. I have the sapphire in another model and love it, but it is darker on an overcast day. At about 50ft it's hard to tell them apart sunshine or not....I've tested it with the same year and model, side by side.

The only other thing I would say is it also depends on how you will outfit it and the look your going for...wheels, trim and add-on's.

I personally would live with the sunlight change in the sapphire, to ease the continuous work load involved with keeping the Jet black...Scratch free!
Appreciate 0