XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X6 Forums > General BMW X6 and X6M Forum

02-24-2012, 12:00 AM   #1
Whataride
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 X6 5.0

Gracenote Media upgrade for entertainment system

I have a 2011 X-6 5.0i with premium sound. When I load newer CD's it will not pick up the album title or individual song track names. I can load the same artist and record company CD that is older and it picks up all the data. Someone told me I need to get a software update from Gracenote Media which will capture this data. My dealer claims he loaded an update but nothing changed.

Anyone have a solution to this problem?
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2012, 08:06 PM   #2
BigBobDeuce
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW X6M

Garage List
2012 BMW X6M  [0.00]
As I understand it, Gracenote updates are not retroactive; in other words, an update will not change or add information to music that is already on the car's hard drive (the database is only accessed at the time the CD is ripped to the car's hard drive). So, in order for the update to apply, you have to delete the music from the car's hard drive and then re-rip it to the car. If it still doesn't work, then it is possible that the CD is newer than the dealer's update, in which case you'd have to wait for yet another update that hopefully has the CD's information in it.

A work around is to use a computer ripping program to make non-protected WMA, AAC, or MP3 files of the new audio CD, include the genre/song/album/artist data with those files, and then upload the files to the car's hard drive. Importing those kinds of files, as opposed to CDs, isn't dependent upon the Gracenote database, so the data should be there.

Hope this helps!
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2012, 10:07 PM   #3
Whataride
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 X6 5.0

Gracenote Media upgrade for entertainment system

Thanks for your feedback. I'll give that a try over the weekend. I corresponeded with Gracemedia today and they also said it depends how oftern the OEM updates their software with Gracemedia. Different auto companies do it at different intervals according to their individual contracts. They did not know the plan BMW had with Gracenote.

I'll post any new information I receive. I also went to the BMW software update site and it said no updates available. However my X-6 is a 2011 model and was built in March 2010. The site said updates were for cars built after March 2010 so I may have missed that cut off.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2012, 07:05 PM   #4
Mike van D
Major
Germany
Rep
Drives: SG X6 35i; MW e92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBobDeuce View Post
As I understand it, Gracenote updates are not retroactive; in other words, an update will not change or add information to music that is already on the car's hard drive (the database is only accessed at the time the CD is ripped to the car's hard drive). So, in order for the update to apply, you have to delete the music from the car's hard drive and then re-rip it to the car. If it still doesn't work, then it is possible that the CD is newer than the dealer's update, in which case you'd have to wait for yet another update that hopefully has the CD's information in it.

A work around is to use a computer ripping program to make non-protected WMA, AAC, or MP3 files of the new audio CD, include the genre/song/album/artist data with those files, and then upload the files to the car's hard drive. Importing those kinds of files, as opposed to CDs, isn't dependent upon the Gracenote database, so the data should be there.

Hope this helps!
+1, best to rip them to other format and upload into the vehicle...saves HD space as well.
      02-26-2012, 03:32 AM   #5
E90Fleet
Lieutenant General
South Africa
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBobDeuce View Post
As I understand it, Gracenote updates are not retroactive; in other words, an update will not change or add information to music that is already on the car's hard drive (the database is only accessed at the time the CD is ripped to the car's hard drive). So, in order for the update to apply, you have to delete the music from the car's hard drive and then re-rip it to the car.
Correct
      11-14-2013, 04:46 PM   #6
kodiak-90
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW X5M

Anybody know if there is a Gracenote database update available that is more current than 2010?
Appreciate 0