XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

08-20-2015, 07:02 PM   #1
kcstunna82
Rep
Drives: taurus

New Member and Future X5 owner

Hello Everyone, Im saving up to chop down a lot of negative equity I acquired from buying a 7 series through a sold called good guy i knew. To sum the story up had the car for three months found out it had a valve stem problem (9,000 Job). Also the 2500 warranty I bought didn't cover it so I traded it in for a 2014 taurus SEL. I truly loved BMW customer service though they tried everything they could to get the repair approved for me. Now Im looking at either a X5 e5d or X5m just wondering the good and bad of both. Thanks and I look forward into meeting everyone.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2015, 10:10 AM   #2
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2004 3/4 ton Duramax

What year was the 7-series? And you're saying the aftermarket warranty did not cover the $9K in repairs? So you didn't perform the repairs and traded it in for a Taurus?
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2015, 10:45 AM   #3
jiggz
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3|F15 X5 50i

So your cross shopping a diesel and an M model? Interesting...2 entirely different vehicles, obviously.

Repair costs on the X5M (not to be confused with an M Sport) will be considerably higher not just because it's an M model but the S63 engine will have more items to be replaced than the diesel engine. Fuel mileage in the X5M is probably about half or a little better than what the diesel will return, if that matters to you.

Have you driven either of these? If not you should start there, and then search this forum for more info - lots of info here on these 2 vehicles
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2015, 06:08 AM   #4
kcstunna82
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiggz
So your cross shopping a diesel and an M model? Interesting...2 entirely different vehicles, obviously.

Repair costs on the X5M (not to be confused with an M Sport) will be considerably higher not just because it's an M model but the S63 engine will have more items to be replaced than the diesel engine. Fuel mileage in the X5M is probably about half or a little better than what the diesel will return, if that matters to you.

Have you driven either of these? If not you should start there, and then search this forum for more info - lots of info here on these 2 vehicles
Yes I've drove them last weekend and I'm going to go with a 535i. My wife already has a truck so no need for me to have one as well. Deep down I wanted the 5 series anyway.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2015, 06:09 AM   #5
kcstunna82
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by P1et
What year was the 7-series? And you're saying the aftermarket warranty did not cover the $9K in repairs? So you didn't perform the repairs and traded it in for a Taurus?
It was a 2008 and no I didn't do the repairs myself I was told I would have to pull the whole motor so I said screw it.And yes they wouldn't cover the costs for the repairs. They told me it was a known problem so they wouldn't do it.
Appreciate 0