XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

06-28-2015, 04:00 AM   #1
B///MWGuy
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 xDrive40i

Garage List
Deceleration whistle noise and rocking rpm at idle

Hello fellow members!

I need your help in figuring out what this strange noise is!
My car is 2009 x5 30i with 78k mileage.
I had no CEL, and I didnt do any aggressive driving (no more than 4k rpm while entering a freeway).
But by the time I approached my destination, I noticed a whistle noise whenever i took my foot off the gas pedal. The noise can be heard when decelerating.
As I parked at my destination, the RPM was rocking as if it were needing new spark plug.
I turned the car ignition off and restarted the engine and it happened again. However, after 30 min, I came back to leave the place and the problem vanished.
Im assuming it may need new spark plug as I havent changed one for a while. But this whistling noise was very strange. Is there anyone with the similar experience?
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2016, 09:48 PM   #2
arciga18
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: LeMans/ Chestnut E90, RWD

I just took my x5 to the stealership for a similar issue. I got a call from the SA that they couldn't duplicate the problem. However, for some crazy reason to me they just want me to drive the car with them on Saturday to make sure we're on the same page. Thumbs up to them for offering.

Did you ever figure our the problem?
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2016, 03:58 PM   #3
eswimm
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 i8

Quote:
Originally Posted by arciga18 View Post
I just took my x5 to the stealership for a similar issue. I got a call from the SA that they couldn't duplicate the problem. However, for some crazy reason to me they just want me to drive the car with them on Saturday to make sure we're on the same page. Thumbs up to them for offering.

Did you ever figure our the problem?
If you're talking about the whistle, I had something similar with my 2010 X5M. Traced it to the AC blower motor. Apparently a bad bearing or something that would squeak faintly during deceleration, especially if you were turning slightly at the time.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2016, 06:31 PM   #4
arciga18
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: LeMans/ Chestnut E90, RWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by eswimm View Post
If you're talking about the whistle, I had something similar with my 2010 X5M. Traced it to the AC blower motor. Apparently a bad bearing or something that would squeak faintly during deceleration, especially if you were turning slightly at the time.

Hi,

Yes, i have a whistling noise as soon as I let off the gas from 2K- 3k RPM. It's easier to notice under 40 MPH mainly because its kinda hard to get to 2-3K rpm on city streets when traveling fast (basically too much traffic).

The only leads are vacuum leak/ intake boot leak, or the bearing issue you describe where the seals are bad. The problem is that I don't think CPO will cover any of this.... and I have 49,970 miles .

Car is at the stealership now.
Appreciate 0