XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

01-20-2016, 01:53 AM   #1
DiegoM
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Alpine White

Replacing OEM Horn with Bosch Supertone

Tried to replace a defective OEM horn (2010 X535d) with an after market Bosch Supertone Horn. Apparently the wiring connectors are different as shown below. With an extremely limited space to play with the wires and lazy to check if the X5 horn Relay will suffice for the Bosch (does it actually have a relay?), and couldn't find a DIY thread specific on this. I'm just gonna ask help on here. If you guys can recommend a shop in the Central/ North NJ familiar with such installation Error Free... rip off free too =) Thanks!

OEM horn connector (horn on the back ground)

Bosch Supertone wiring terminals
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2016, 07:45 AM   #2
Cattivo
FDNY Engine 55
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5M, X5 50i Msport, EscaHoe

I would just cut the OE connector off and crimp on a couple of spaded connectors...just make sure you connect the purple wire with blue tracer to the same side it connects on the OE horn so you don't reverse the polarity...should cost you no more than $5 for spaded connectors

https://www.google.com/search?client...UTF-8&oe=UTF-8
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2016, 11:44 AM   #3
DiegoM
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattivo View Post
I would just cut the OE connector off and crimp on a couple of spaded connectors...just make sure you connect the purple wire with blue tracer to the same side it connects on the OE horn so you don't reverse the polarity...should cost you no more than $5 for spaded connectors

https://www.google.com/search?client...UTF-8&oe=UTF-8
That was my initial plan but afraid a short or error might appear because the Bosch came with a larger gauge wire and a relay which I have no idea where to place. Not to mention, the Bosch terminals have no +/- polarity symbols engraved on it. I guess I'm gonna go that path and see what happens. Thanks so much!
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2016, 12:07 PM   #4
RIHI
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

You can take an Ohm meter and check if any of the two terminals have any connection to the mounting plate of the horn. If not, then the positive and negative can be placed in either terminal. If one has a reading or tone to the mounting plate, that is the negative terminal of the horn. When you have both horns disconnected from the terminals, if you press the horn on the steering wheel, and you hear a clicking sound, that's the relay.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2016, 12:38 AM   #5
DiegoM
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIHI View Post
You can take an Ohm meter and check if any of the two terminals have any connection to the mounting plate of the horn. If not, then the positive and negative can be placed in either terminal. If one has a reading or tone to the mounting plate, that is the negative terminal of the horn. When you have both horns disconnected from the terminals, if you press the horn on the steering wheel, and you hear a clicking sound, that's the relay.
Multimeter revealed no polarity! I guess I'm gonna have to splice it. Thanks so much!
Appreciate 0