XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

11-18-2015, 08:55 PM   #1
Ryan_M
First Lieutenant
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: E70 X5 3.0si / R171 SLK55

Question regarding lowering (with springs only and not for cosmetic reasons)

Gents, my apologies if this has been covered before, I've tried searching but no results.

We recently bought a used 2008 X5 3.0si (7 seater) and its my first SUV. I am seriously considering lowering the truck for practical reasons. My wife is currently pregnant with twins and at 5"2, it is becoming harder for her to get in and out of the truck. I was hoping that lowering the truck will help with this and it should also help us with getting the baby in and out of the truck in the future. I note that a lot of you guys have lowered your trucks with springs only and primarily with an H&R set-up. A handful has also gone down the Eibach Pro Kit route which is my preference.

My question is whether there is a real need to change the struts as well if I lower with springs only? My needs and concerns are as follows:

1. I would like to retain current ride comfort - not sure if changing to shorter sport shocks would help though I know that this is preferred.

2. safety - is it actually safe to lower with springs only particularly given the curb-weight of the truck?

Notes to consider, my truck only has 45,000 km (true mileage) despite its vintage. We will be hauling quite a bit of people up and down the streets of HK where roads here are paved with cement primarily. I will not be driving fast as that is reserved for my SLK55 . The X5 will see no more than 8,000 to 10,000 km a year. I am running a staggered 20" wheel setup with non-RFT Michelin Latitude Sport 3 tires.

Thanks in advance for your responses.
      11-19-2015, 12:26 AM   #2
mitch808
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2012 X5 35i

Lowering springs are a compromise no matter what. To go shorter, the spring has to go stiffer. Thus a slightly harsher ride. Luckily H&R and Eibach do not go much more than 5-10% stiffer over stock, and can work with the stock dampers. It should ride just fine. Of course that is a very subjective statement....

If you really wanted to go all out, you would look at a matched set like the Bilstein Prokit, with a lowering spring and matched damper as a kit. Or get the Eibachs, with the Bilstein B8 sprint strut, made for lowering springs.

Ultimately, whenever you're lowering a vehicle, you must get a proper alignment. Safety is not compromised when installed properly, and an alignment performed.

BTW, my wife is a 'lil 5-2 asian and we're almost on our 2nd kid now (any day now)... She'll never go into a lowered car, she likes the X5 as it is. As pregnant as she is now, she wouldn't have it any other way.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2015, 05:36 AM   #3
racermp
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 330i

I think you have airbags in the rear with 7 pass.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2015, 09:01 AM   #4
Bigtimekegger
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 335i Coupe

In reality... will a slightly lowered x5 1-2 inches really make an impact on your wife's well being?

Personally I would leave it... What's worse... your wife stretching a little to get into the vehicle.... or having a catastrophic suspension/mechanical issue when your wife's water breaks and you are rushing her to the hospital?
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2015, 09:08 AM   #5
RIHI
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtimekegger View Post
In reality... will a slightly lowered x5 1-2 inches really make an impact on your wife's well being?

Personally I would leave it... What's worse... your wife stretching a little to get into the vehicle.... or having a catastrophic suspension/mechanical issue when your wife's water breaks and you are rushing her to the hospital?
I am not understanding where the "catastrophic suspension/mechanical issue" would emanate from? These are cars and all others are lowered everyday by enthusiasts and the parts used are designed for the specific vehicle. It's not as if you were going to use a Toyota Corolla spring set for a BMW X5.

The lowering springs will only be used for the front as the rears use airbags which can be coded to a specific height.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2015, 07:24 PM   #6
sburke91
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 X5 50i

Trade the X5 in on a 5 series sedan or wagon?

It amazes me how many people buy a SUV (the X5 definitely isn't a truck--anyone that's owned a truck can testify to this) and then lower it. I don't get the point. Why not just buy a car/wagon and get the height and handling, rather than a 5000 lb beast that's now 2" shorter, but still a top-heavy 5000 lb beast.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2015, 07:25 PM   #7
Ryan_M
First Lieutenant
Hong Kong
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by racermp View Post
I think you have airbags in the rear with 7 pass.
I found that out yesterday...

I know that there are 2 solutions, that there is a software and a hardware one but I don't know enough about it.

Not sure what to do at this point. I am not sure if the Eibach Pro Kit which I ordered includes the rear links. Does anyone know? I will also need to get a shop that knows how to code...

I am now leaning towards not lowering.
      11-19-2015, 07:28 PM   #8
Ryan_M
First Lieutenant
Hong Kong
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sburke91 View Post
Trade the X5 in on a 5 series sedan or wagon?

It amazes me how many people buy a SUV (the X5 definitely isn't a truck--anyone that's owned a truck can testify to this) and then lower it. I don't get the point. Why not just buy a car/wagon and get the height and handling, rather than a 5000 lb beast that's now 2" shorter, but still a top-heavy 5000 lb beast.
I agree but for the fact that I need 7 seats and didn't want to go down the mini-van route.

I am looking to lower simply because of the need to lower the ride height and nothing else.
      11-20-2015, 02:54 PM   #9
sburke91
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 X5 50i

Fair point on your need. You need a 1970's Roadmaster Wagon with the rear-facing seat
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2015, 03:17 PM   #10
RIHI
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

You do not need links for the rear. They can code the car to lower it.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2015, 03:37 PM   #11
racermp
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 330i

Do you have side steps? Maybe if there is an aftermarket option for some side steps on e70s that are lower. Or trade in for a 535 touring with rear facing seat lol
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2015, 10:34 PM   #12
KayTees
Tuned ///M Cars Only
Canada
Rep
Drives: '21 F87 M2C |'20 F97 X3MC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan_M View Post
I agree but for the fact that I need 7 seats and didn't want to go down the mini-van route.

I am looking to lower simply because of the need to lower the ride height and nothing else.
A bit off topic but was just wondering how much that X5 cost in HKD? As far as I know, anything euro luxury cars cost a shit tonne.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2015, 07:31 PM   #13
Ryan_M
First Lieutenant
Hong Kong
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KayTees View Post
A bit off topic but was just wondering how much that X5 cost in HKD? As far as I know, anything euro luxury cars cost a shit tonne.
The one that I just bought (2007/2008) was US$20,000 / CA$28,000 FML...

I know you guys can get them for a lot cheaper.