XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X6 Forums > General BMW X6 and X6M Forum

11-16-2008, 10:21 AM   #1
ovr75
Private
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: X6 35i perlsilber individual

Iphone 3G connection

Hi Guys,

Does anyone knows if it's possible to connect the Iphone 3G, with the option 6NF in combination with the "Snap In Adapter"? So that you can listen to your audio files from the Iphone. Because according to this sheet it's not possible, I think.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf bmw_bluetooth_information_0908_en.pdf (294.1 KB, 1588 views)
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2008, 10:27 AM   #2
rockmed
Private
Rep
Drives: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovr75 View Post
Hi Guys,

Does anyone knows if it's possible to connect the Iphone 3G, with the option 6NF in combination with the "Snap In Adapter"? So that you can listen to your audio files from the Iphone. Because according to this sheet it's not possible, I think.
I don't think there is a Snap In Adapter for the 3G yet (unless you force it in.) However, I am using Bluetooth + Y-Cable at the same time with no problem for music and telephone.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2008, 09:20 AM   #3
ovr75
Private
Netherlands
Rep

Thanks Rockmed for the info, if they don't have the Snap in Adapter yet, have to wait till the end of February before my x6 will arrive, i will connect it like you did.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2008, 09:37 AM   #4
chuck92103
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i

See attached PDF for more information.

"All-new Smartphone Integration Option
A new Smartphone (for instance iPhone) Integration option will be available starting with October 2008 production for $150. Once installed, the option charges the phone, allows access to music stored within the phone, and can improve telephone reception. Smartphone Integration does not take away from the features of the iPod/USB Adapter; meaning that a customer will still have the USB and AUX inputs available. Smartphone Integration requires an accessory snap-in adapter to fully integrate the option into an X5, X6, 1, 3, and 6 Series. Snap-in adapters and phones compatible with this new option will be announced shortly."
Attached Images
File Type: pdf 2009-pricing-revised.pdf (80.1 KB, 509 views)
      02-27-2009, 01:40 PM   #5
ericld
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW E92 M3, Alpine White

What is smartphone integration. Seem redundant..

I don't understand what the smartphone integration package gives you.

My M3 (2008) has the ipod/USB adapter in the premium audio package as will the X6 I am about to order.

My current ipod /USB adapter charges my iphone perfectly. I know for sure, I have used it in emergencies to get my phone charged. It also dials through the technology package perfectly.

So what in the world does the smartphone option for $150 get you?
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2009, 04:52 AM   #6
youngien
Rep
Drives: X6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovr75 View Post
Thanks Rockmed for the info, if they don't have the Snap in Adapter yet, have to wait till the end of February before my x6 will arrive, i will connect it like you did.
I don't have the Snap in adapter, however I do have the "Smart Phone Intergrations ($150) Option".

Here is how I make my I phone 3G works (both phone and music).

I set up my bluetooth thingy first, then I connect my Phone to the Y Cables. That way when I am not talking, I am just using the Iphone as Ipod, and when I get a call, my bluetooth thing kicks in, turn off the music volume and talk like any other cell

But but but.... the funny part is, when I get out of the car, I ALWAYS forget to bring my iphone with me.

And I end up buying a new ipod nano just so I can leave it in the glove box lol... (slapping myself)
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2009, 08:11 PM   #7
ovr75
Private
Netherlands
Rep

Finaly i received my Snap-in-adapter. First Snap-in-adapter didn't work! Was Broken!
But now it works, it's a bit easier to connect my Iphone istead using the Y-cable.

I have the same problem as youngien, now i always forget my iphone when i get out of the car!
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2009, 08:27 AM   #8
UK_X6
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X6 3.5i

Hi - I have the 3G snap-in adaptor, but it "only" appears to allow for the bluetooth.

Is there something extra I should be doing menu wise to get the music to play??
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2009, 08:53 AM   #9
shenard
Captain
Rep
Drives: '09 X6 50i AW

Garage List
2009 BMW X6 50i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by UK_X6 View Post
Hi - I have the 3G snap-in adaptor, but it "only" appears to allow for the bluetooth.

Is there something extra I should be doing menu wise to get the music to play??
My dealer told me there is another $175 part you have to order from the dealer to get full functionality which to me is a waste of money to buy the snap in adaptor and then have to pay more for the additional adaptor to get it to work. Seems like it would work better to connect phone thru bluetooth and use Y-cable for music.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2009, 10:00 AM   #10
UK_X6
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X6 3.5i

This from the BMW accessories page:

Apple iPhone USB Snap In Adapter (For vehicles produced from 10/08 on)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This adapter is for vehicles equipped with the BMW Assist system with Bluetooth wireless technology and Smart Phone Integration. The smart phone option not only charges the phone, but allows access to any music or MP3 files stored ont the phone. Also provides a connection to the roof mounted telephone antenna on your car for improved cellular reception. The adapter also provides a safe and secure place to dock your Smart Phone while driving and will charge your phone battery when the vehicle is running.

Apple iPhone USB Snap In Adapter (For vehicles produced from 10/08 on) (PN: 84 10 9 164 213) $175.00
Apple iPhone G3 USB Snap In Adapter (For vehicles produced from 10/08 on) (PN: 84 21 2 151 043)

I have the 3G iPhone one, but not allowing me to access the music still, wonder what am doing wrong ..........
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2009, 07:17 PM   #11
shenard
Captain
Rep
Drives: '09 X6 50i AW

Garage List
2009 BMW X6 50i  [0.00]
Quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This adapter is for vehicles equipped with the BMW Assist system with Bluetooth wireless technology and Smart Phone Integration. The smart phone option not only charges the phone, but allows access to any music or MP3 files stored ont the phone. Also provides a connection to the roof mounted telephone antenna on your car for improved cellular reception. The adapter also provides a safe and secure place to dock your Smart Phone while driving and will charge your phone battery when the vehicle is running.

Apple iPhone USB Snap In Adapter (For vehicles produced from 10/08 on) (PN: 84 10 9 164 213) $175.00
Apple iPhone G3 USB Snap In Adapter (For vehicles produced from 10/08 on) (PN: 84 21 2 151 043)

I have the 3G iPhone one, but not allowing me to access the music still, wonder what am doing wrong ..........

My dealer told me last week that just the Smartphone snap-in adaptor will not work from the factory and you also have to buy another accessory to make it work right that either costs an additional $150 or $175. I can't remember but they convinced me to not order it because they suggested using bluetooth and the Y-cable that comes with the premium sound package.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2009, 10:26 AM   #12
apollner
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 X6

iPhone 3G / iPod integration

I ordered the smarthphone integration ($150), then had to pay for the iPhone 3G snap-in adapter ($175) which was on back-order. I just picked it up this weekend!

Basically what this appears to give you are 3 features:
- Charge the phone while in the car
- Use the car antenna rather than iPhone antenna
- Use iPod features of youu iPhone through iDrive (AUT option)

The phone list, etc still seems to be transmitted through the bluetooth connection, not the smart integration.

I also included the iPod and USB adapter with my car order ($320), which I guess can be used for a similar function as the 3rd option I listed above, and would be required if you only had an iPod and wanted to see the songs displayed through iDrive.

So I paid $325 ($150+$175) for full iPhone support and $320 for iPod support. Note that if you only ordered the smartphone integration with 3G snap-in cradle, you could not use a traditional iPod or other USB-based music device.

Its expensive to pay $645 for this when the alternatives could be:
a) Buy a car charger for the iPhone (probably costs less than $20)
b) Use the iPod integration to pull music from the iPhone
c) Use the cell phone's own antenna

The above would cost approx. $340 vs. $645. However, you wouldn't be able to just snap your phone in and out every time you get in/out of your car. I didn't fully understand all of the details of integration until I got my snap-in adapter, so I hope this information is helpful to others.

**UPDATE **
Regarding the pricing above, I just checked my original order and realized that the iPod and USB adapter came as part of the Premium Sound Package, so if you plan on getting that you would already have this. I'm not sure if this option is actually designed for the iPhone (though its an iPod too) or if it charges it properly/improperly. If there's no compatibility issues with using this for an iPhone, then it comes down to plugging in a cable vs. snapping into the cradle. (I have been told by Apple staff not to use iPod cables to charge the iPhone)

Last edited by apollner; 03-02-2009 at 01:54 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2009, 08:45 PM   #13
ovr75
Private
Netherlands
Rep

Quote:

Hey UK X6,

I had the same problem with my Iphone 3G i could not access the music because the gave me the wrong Snap-in-adaptor!!! They gave me the one for the older Iphone. I think they gave you also the one for the Iphone 1 generation. Check it with your dealer. You can access your music via idrive option AUX.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2009, 10:51 PM   #14
dmlgc
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X6MC - 335D

Quote:
Originally Posted by apollner View Post
I ordered the smarthphone integration ($150), then had to pay for the iPhone 3G snap-in adapter ($175) which was on back-order. I just picked it up this weekend!

Basically what this appears to give you are 3 features:
- Charge the phone while in the car
- Use the car antenna rather than iPhone antenna
- Use iPod features of youu iPhone through iDrive (AUT option)

The phone list, etc still seems to be transmitted through the bluetooth connection, not the smart integration.

I also included the iPod and USB adapter with my car order ($320), which I guess can be used for a similar function as the 3rd option I listed above, and would be required if you only had an iPod and wanted to see the songs displayed through iDrive.

So I paid $325 ($150+$175) for full iPhone support and $320 for iPod support. Note that if you only ordered the smartphone integration with 3G snap-in cradle, you could not use a traditional iPod or other USB-based music device.

Its expensive to pay $645 for this when the alternatives could be:
a) Buy a car charger for the iPhone (probably costs less than $20)
b) Use the iPod integration to pull music from the iPhone
c) Use the cell phone's own antenna

The above would cost approx. $340 vs. $645. However, you wouldn't be able to just snap your phone in and out every time you get in/out of your car. I didn't fully understand all of the details of integration until I got my snap-in adapter, so I hope this information is helpful to others.

**UPDATE **
Regarding the pricing above, I just checked my original order and realized that the iPod and USB adapter came as part of the Premium Sound Package, so if you plan on getting that you would already have this. I'm not sure if this option is actually designed for the iPhone (though its an iPod too) or if it charges it properly/improperly. If there's no compatibility issues with using this for an iPhone, then it comes down to plugging in a cable vs. snapping into the cradle. (I have been told by Apple staff not to use iPod cables to charge the iPhone)
I have the Premium Sound Package and the "Y" cable which I can use with ipod nano (or iphone only on long trips as plug/unplug too annoying). In both cases it charges them and is accessed via idrive/steering wheel buttons. So the only thing the adapter gives you is easy snap in/out and it uses the car antenna ?
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2009, 10:52 AM   #15
ovr75
Private
Netherlands
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmlgc View Post
I have the Premium Sound Package and the "Y" cable which I can use with ipod nano (or iphone only on long trips as plug/unplug too annoying). In both cases it charges them and is accessed via idrive/steering wheel buttons. So the only thing the adapter gives you is easy snap in/out and it uses the car antenna ?
That's true.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2009, 02:54 PM   #16
sariggs1
Scott R.
United_States
Rep
Drives: X6 xDrive 50I

Garage List
2012 X6 50I  [0.00]
2006 Volvo XC90 V8  [0.00]
2001 996 Turbo  [0.00]
I have the iPhone 3GS and hook it up to the y-cable and the bluetooth picks it up. I was told by the dealer (for what it is worth) that the snap in adapter won't work with my car and phone (car was manufactured in 03/09 and that made a difference somehow). Music and phone work flawlessly.

One question, sometimes it charges the phone, sometimes it doesn't. My nano always charges. Any of you have the same problem?

And yes, I forget my phone too now. That is frustrating...out of sight out of mind...
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2009, 02:57 PM   #17
chuck92103
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i

Quote:
Originally Posted by sariggs1 View Post
I have the iPhone 3GS and hook it up to the y-cable and the bluetooth picks it up. I was told by the dealer (for what it is worth) that the snap in adapter won't work with my car and phone (car was manufactured in 03/09 and that made a difference somehow). Music and phone work flawlessly.

One question, sometimes it charges the phone, sometimes it doesn't. My nano always charges. Any of you have the same problem?

And yes, I forget my phone too now. That is frustrating...out of sight out of mind...
I have a decidated iPOD for the car. Using a phone does not make sense to me. Also, the point of bluetooth is so you can leave the phone in your pocket. Taking it out each time you get in the car and plugging it in defeats the point of the bluetooth convenience. And yes, you will forget your phone most of the time. Seems very inconvenient to me.
      08-08-2009, 01:20 PM   #18
Tony411LA
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 X6 3.5i, 2013 X1 28i

Iphone 3GS Charging Issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by sariggs1 View Post

I have a 2009 X6 3.5i with Prem Sound that came with the Iphone/Ipod Y cables. I too am having a problem with the my iphone 3GS not charging. It is intermittent in that sometimes it charges and sometimes I get the error message "Charging Accessory Not Compatible...". I took my X6 back to the dealer and they confirmed that it is a known problem, although a bulletin is not out yet. My SA told me to check back in a month or so, to find out when they will have replacement cables available.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2009, 02:46 PM   #19
dmlgc
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X6MC - 335D

"Charging Accessory Not Compatible" , this is a 3GS iphone issue more so than a X6 issue. If you plug your 3GS into old ipod adapter, some aftermarket cable/chargers or adapter that is firewire instead of USB you get the same message.
Appreciate 0