XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X6 Forums > General BMW X6 and X6M Forum

03-25-2011, 06:27 AM   #1
Barbja
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X4 M40i

Is the space saver spare compartment carpeted?

If you order a space saver spare from the factory, is the compartment under the back deck not carpeted nicely like it is if you don't get the spare?

I want a spare, but I only want to carry it on long trips, so I'd like the 'secret storage' to be nice the rest of the time (like almost always).

If it's not, will it fit in the carpeted space if you get one later?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2011, 07:24 AM   #2
BigBobDeuce
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW X6M

Garage List
2012 BMW X6M  [0.00]
In my 2009 X6, I have the space saver spare and the compartment is not carpeted -- it is just raw body-colored metal.

I actually didn't know that the storage space without the space saver wheel was carpeted -- I thought it was just black plastic.

I don't think the spare will fit in the non-spare space, as the plastic tray (and maybe carpet) take up extra volume. Plus, the spare has a latching mechanism to screw it into the bottom of the space, which would be missing.

I just ordered a 2012 X6, and I didn't get the space saver spare this time. I figured I have run flat tires and between that and the BMW Assist I'll get to a location for a new tire.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2011, 08:43 AM   #3
Barbja
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X4 M40i

When a CA showed me the compartment on a 2011, it was done up in carpet (that felty stuff as I recall).

I want to get non-RFTs. I don't mind waiting around for assist normally, but I'd feel really vulnerable on a trip (although sitting in the car for hours in the middle of nowhere may be a better alternative than getting out and changing the tire; especially at night. Being a girl and all. )
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2011, 10:39 AM   #4
OTK_KART
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: cars with 4 wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbja View Post
If you order a space saver spare from the factory, is the compartment under the back deck not carpeted nicely like it is if you don't get the spare?

I want a spare, but I only want to carry it on long trips, so I'd like the 'secret storage' to be nice the rest of the time (like almost always).

Thanks!
Yes it will. The carpet storage area can be removed completely and replace it with the space saver spare.

I was suprised how much stuff I can store under there.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2011, 10:33 AM   #5
Ikendiken
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '13 E92 M3

The space-saver spare will squeeze into the carpeted storage tray but you can't screw the tire in place unless you remove the tray. I can try taking a picture if you'd like. You'll end up paying more for the spare getting it aftermarket, but you'd have both a spare and the storage tray.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2011, 09:33 PM   #6
motex
2020 Mineral White 30d MSport
Costa Rica
Rep
Drives: 2020 Mineral White 30d MSport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbja View Post

Thanks!
yes, check the following picture
Appreciate 0