XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X6 Forums > General BMW X6 and X6M Forum

09-30-2015, 10:13 AM   #1
exec1
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW X6 xDrive35i

Combox Media Retrofit PnP on E71 X6 2010

I purchased the Combox Media Retrofit PnP. Wanted to share my experience for those of you who are wondering is it worth it or how the process went. For my setup, I ordered the Combox and the 6FL USB/Aux Option. It was replacing a TCU unit already installed.

http://www.bimmer-tech.net/shop/bmw-...a-pnp-retrofit

First, I emailed my VIN to Patryk who timely responded to me with all the options available and how to customize my order based on my feature set. I found this very helpful, especially for those of us who are newer to some of the terminology. Once I placed my order, it arrived within just a few days.

Once received, I requested instructions on how to proceed. I found both the forums helpful for others who had gone through the same process, but also emailed Patryk several times directly. I always received a reply on next steps in a timely fashion. This was much appreciated. The process was much more straightforward than I had originally anticipated. The molding/clip removal tools are a must. Don't even think about it and just include those...made disassembly a breeze while protecting the vehicle and parts. Also, the included OBDII to USB coding cable worked perfectly. Disconnecting the old TCU and connecting the new Combox and 6FL was easy.

I chose to hire a local third-party BMW service provider, M Technik in San Antonio, TX, to route the physical cable from the Combox in rear cargo area to the center console punch-out for a very reasonable cost. I could have done it myself, but I found the cost vs. my time completely worth it! They did an awesome job! It took me leaving my vehicle with them for part of the afternoon.

The coding process done by Bimmer-Tech was seamless. All the instructions were clear. I setup everything on my computer per instructions provided and coordinated the remote coding appointment via Skype. It was amazing to see these guys do their thing! I literally trusted Bimmer-Tech with everything on the coding front. After several minutes, the remote coding was done and I started up my vehicle to enjoy all the new features. I love the fact that some small extras were included to my surprise...amazing! There were also instructions left on how to perform software updates to enjoy the latest features the BMW software updates provide.

I really liked the thoroughness of the instructions as, with many of us, I know that can create anxiety when someone is remotely controlling your BMW and then not available to speak with in person. Let me reiterate...these guys are professionals and know what they are doing! I was never left without detailed instructions on next steps. Any questions I had on interpreting info or troubleshooting a unique situation were always timely and professionally addressed!

I have enclosed a few pictures to show how clean everything looks once completed. I am satisfied and would highly recommend this update to anyone with a CIC who is hesitant to take this opportunity to upgrade their system today!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0