XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X6 Forums > General BMW X6 and X6M Forum

11-09-2008, 06:13 AM   #1
strongdeo
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 330d MSPORT

DPC Dynamic Performance Control

What are your real world experience of DPC? Is it something that only kicks in when you are right on the edge and close to losing control of the vehicle, can you "feel" it's help kick in at regular driving and cornering?

Or is it hidden in the background?
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2008, 09:35 AM   #2
shenard
Captain
Rep
Drives: '09 X6 50i AW

Garage List
2009 BMW X6 50i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by strongdeo View Post
What are your real world experience of DPC? Is it something that only kicks in when you are right on the edge and close to losing control of the vehicle, can you "feel" it's help kick in at regular driving and cornering?

Or is it hidden in the background?
Have not ever felt DPC kick in yet and I drive pretty aggressively. I can say adaptive drive is absolutely amazing!! There is literally no body roll at all. I have taken a 90 degree turn at about 60 mph in my X6 50i with adaptive drive as well as a 550i sport and the X6 (all though it is heavier) experienced less body roll into the turn because the adaptive drive adjusts the stiffness of the shocks perfectly.

I also have an 2009 X5 loaner car right now and I was shocked how much body roll they have. I was actually scared driving it around some turns as I am used to my X6. The X5 had body roll like my wifes Lexus RX 330.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2008, 12:24 PM   #3
Deda
Major General
Croatia
Rep
Drives: BMW M5 comp

i am very glad that i have ordered AD!
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2008, 09:12 PM   #4
dmlgc
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X6MC - 335D

agree with shenard you can take corners a lot more aggressive then with most cars. You also get use to the driving characteristics of the X6 and really notice that when you drive something else.
      11-09-2008, 10:31 PM   #5
xDrive50i
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: '09 750i individual

Quote:
Originally Posted by shenard View Post
Have not ever felt DPC kick in yet and I drive pretty aggressively. I can say adaptive drive is absolutely amazing!! There is literally no body roll at all. I have taken a 90 degree turn at about 60 mph in my X6 50i with adaptive drive as well as a 550i sport and the X6 (all though it is heavier) experienced less body roll into the turn because the adaptive drive adjusts the stiffness of the shocks perfectly.

I also have an 2009 X5 loaner car right now and I was shocked how much body roll they have. I was actually scared driving it around some turns as I am used to my X6. The X5 had body roll like my wifes Lexus RX 330.
Shenard, as far as I know (please, anyone correct me if I'm wrong here), DPC is ALWAYS on. As a matter of fact, I don't think you can turn it off. DPC distributes power to the left and right rear wheels as needed. It works in conjunction with the xDrive system which distributes power between front and back wheels. So in other words, the second you start driving the X6, it's working and you shouldn't 'feel' it kick in... The little display in the dashboard will show you how much power is being applied to each wheel.

Name:  Dynamic Performance Control Display.jpg
Views: 2906
Size:  33.5 KB
2009 750i individual | Citrin Black Metallic | Platinum Merino Extended Leather | BMW Individual Composition Package (includes Sport Package) | Dynamic Handling Package | Multimedia Package | Technology Package | Executive Package
http://www.7post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=234432
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2008, 10:51 PM   #6
shenard
Captain
Rep
Drives: '09 X6 50i AW

Garage List
2009 BMW X6 50i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by xDrive50i View Post
Shenard, as far as I know (please, anyone correct me if I'm wrong here), DPC is ALWAYS on. As a matter of fact, I don't think you can turn it off. DPC distributes power to the left and right rear wheels as needed. It works in conjunction with the xDrive system which distributes power between front and back wheels. So in other words, the second you start driving the X6, it's working and you shouldn't 'feel' it kick in... The little display in the dashboard will show you how much power is being applied to each wheel.

Attachment 202342
I think you are correct. I will have to look tomorrow but I do not think there is a button to turn this off. Perhaps a button to disable traction control? Can't remember without looking
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2008, 03:23 AM   #7
PeTo_H
Private
Slovakia
Rep
Drives: '99 528iA, X6 35i on the way

It should be always on. I am 99,99% sure about that as it is a part of the rear dif, and, ehm as we know, is supposed to be working always. And if you feel it? Well, I did. It is weird, and not easy to describe it, but basically, when you do a sharo turn in a higher speed than normaln, with normal rear wheel driver BMW the traction control would stop your wheels from slipping, whether with DPC you just feel that the outside wheel is beeing given extra power instead of lack of power. I had driven 35d through montain roads where normalny you go max 90 km/h and I did it at about 110 km/h and you feel it working. You just have to think about what the system actually does and then you will notice it.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2008, 08:06 AM   #8
drrosnrosn
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Ordered BMW X6 35i

Smile DPC

Truly the only way to find out whether DPC has much of an effect is to find a pre-production X6 without the system... fat chance. What I can say is that even without Adaptive Drive (I've driven a 35i w/out sport package) this thing handles like a 5000 lb. wet dream. The system likely shines when you are pushing the vehicle to its maximum, e.g. cornering at high speed. Then, the only thing you notice is that it handles like no other SUV you've ever driven.

Yes, DPC is on all the time, there is no way to disengage.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2008, 08:39 AM   #9
rockmed
Private
Rep
Drives: none

When you hit the DTC button (Dynamic Traction Control) it lights up and enables you to drive better in snow, sand. slush, etc. When you keep holding the DTC you will DISABLE both DTC and DSC (Dynamic Stability Control) (This method is used to achieve the best 0-60 performance).

Wether disabling DSC has any impact on Dynamic Performance Control I am not sure.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2008, 04:40 PM   #10
archwerks
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: x6 3.5i VR

I have 35i w/19" bridgestone a/s tires, adaptive drive but no sport pkg. because in canada the sport pkg includes 20" wheels summer tires (frt & back tires different sizes, & not good in snow).
Can tell u it drives fantastic, no body roll around corners. Car has a different character when u put trans in sport mode. Cannot usually feel dpc but u wouldn't want to puch your luck, because no system in the world can rewrite the laws of physics!
Appreciate 0