XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

View Poll Results: Which would you pick in a high-mileage purchase?
BMW X5 3.0i 1 6.67%
BMW X5 4.4i 6 40.00%
Infiniti FX35 5 33.33%
Infiniti FX45 3 20.00%
Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

09-21-2011, 05:50 PM   #1
///AV_330i
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i sport

e53 x5 vs Infiniti Fx

hey guys -

I originally posted this in the x6 forum by accident, so I thought I'd move it here in hopes of getting some feedback from e53 x5 owners.

I sold my 335 about 6 months back, and am not looking to get a less expensive, more practical car for college. Before the 335 I had a 330 and before the 330 I had an 04 x5 4.4 that I loved.

Because my 335 was a nightmare w/ maintenance (and because I'm in college and don't want to have to spend money or time on my car) I'm considering going with an Infiniti Fx instead.

I've driven both and they are really pretty much the same in the fun-to-drive category in my opinion - I slightly prefer the looks of the x5 and obviously it would be a little superior in an off road setting, but I'm worried that the maintenance and reliability would be a little subpar.

Just to give you guys an idea, I am going cheap w/ this purchase. I'm looking at very high milage cars (over 100,000) that will basically be able to get me through college, and that I won't cry over when they get dinged and dented.

Important criteria are:

SUV
Fun to Drive
Reliable
Cost Effective

...thats pretty much it. If any e53 x5 owners could fill me in on how their high milage x5s are holding up reliability-wise (and a rough maintenance price) that would be greatly appreciated. I think I'd probably be looking at a 4.4, since the 3.0 is a little pokey compared to either of the FX options. Do you think the v8 would have more issues than the i6?

Both are comparable in price in the current used car market - about 12 to 14 thousand w/ high milage.

Any input or advice would be greatly appreciated. Right now I'm leaning toward the FX just because I'm worried about taking care of a high milage BMW.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2011, 07:03 PM   #2
WWONG
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW X5 xDrive35d

Let's be honest here. Cost efficient BMW = impossible.

My vote is for the FX, although quite honestly, since you're in college, I would go with a used beater for now and then buy a better car after graduation. Being money-constrained is one thing. Being subject to dings, shitty pranks, vandalism, and accidents due to idiot drivers is another.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2011, 10:17 PM   #3
ChilliWilli
Chillin' like a villain
Rep
Drives: Like i stole it

Agree with the above...run in the opposite direction of BMW (for now). The fact that you're still a student makes your dilemma more profound.

I vote for anything Japanese...happy hunting.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2011, 11:57 AM   #4
///AV_330i
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by WWONG View Post
Let's be honest here. Cost efficient BMW = impossible.

My vote is for the FX, although quite honestly, since you're in college, I would go with a used beater for now and then buy a better car after graduation. Being money-constrained is one thing. Being subject to dings, shitty pranks, vandalism, and accidents due to idiot drivers is another.
I thought about going really cheap - an 02 or 03 Infiniti Qx4 for ~8,000. But for 4,000 more, I can get something like an FX that is FAR superior to drive, not to mention much safer.

I think it really is the cheapest option for an SUV that drives the way I'd like it to.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2011, 12:50 PM   #5
ihvabmr
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW

I concur with the posts above. I would refrain from any expensive SUV's since you are a college student. Just purchase something a bit more practical, and buy a nice vehicle after college when you obtain a good paying job. But if you insists between the two vehicles, I would go with Fx35 or 45. I used to own an 08 FX45. Although I disliked the overall driving experience of the FX, but I will have to agree that the reliability of the FX is pretty good.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2011, 11:53 AM   #6
///AV_330i
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihvabmr View Post
I concur with the posts above. I would refrain from any expensive SUV's since you are a college student. Just purchase something a bit more practical, and buy a nice vehicle after college when you obtain a good paying job. But if you insists between the two vehicles, I would go with Fx35 or 45. I used to own an 08 FX45. Although I disliked the overall driving experience of the FX, but I will have to agree that the reliability of the FX is pretty good.
I wouldn't really consider an FX or X5 with >100,000 miles a "nice suv" - all I want it something with decent practicality and that is fun to drive.

Coming from a 335, the "fun to drive" is the hardest to satisfy since I'm looking at suvs only, and as of now only the FX and X5 have proved to entertain me while being driven.

I did look at other "less nice" options - the MDX drove like a minivan, the Lexus Rx is a girls car, the old ML supposedly has awful reliability (I also looked at a Range Rover but again, same problem), I hated the CVT of the Murano, and the Infiniti QX4 (what I almost bought a while back) was actually pretty zippy but handled terribly and is apparently not too safe.

If you all have any other suggestions besides the X5 or FX please let me know but thats pretty much what I've narrowed it down to.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2011, 12:39 PM   #7
Nick Daffern
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2022 X5MC

X5 vs FX

I had two FX45's before my BMW and I'd have no problem recommending one. The original FX series is a smaller, lighter car than the X5 and the FX 45 gets about 15 - 17 mpg. I had absolutely no maintenance issues in the 6 years I owned them. I would have bought a FX50, but I just didn't like the way they redesigned the front end.

As a daily driver, the FX delivers good performance for the money.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2011, 04:51 PM   #8
///AV_330i
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Daffern View Post
I had two FX45's before my BMW and I'd have no problem recommending one. The original FX series is a smaller, lighter car than the X5 and the FX 45 gets about 15 - 17 mpg. I had absolutely no maintenance issues in the 6 years I owned them. I would have bought a FX50, but I just didn't like the way they redesigned the front end.

As a daily driver, the FX delivers good performance for the money.
Awesome thanks for your insight. Agree with you about the new Fx - not a fan.

Was that 15-17 for mixed driving? I tend to have a pretty heavy foot (got ~19 in my 335 manual for mixed driving, which was rated 20/30 I believe, or somewhere in there).

The used prices are pretty much the same for both the 45 and 35 - I originally was looking more for a 35 because of gas, but I feel like since its less powerful I'd just be gassing it more and end up getting around the same mpgs.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2011, 12:27 AM   #9
Nick Daffern
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2022 X5MC

That was mixed city and freeway driving.

I'm partial to the FX45 vs FX35 because of the power. Get the most loaded car you can afford. Mine had everything except the rear entertainment center.

If it matters, the car performed well in the snow on the stock tires although I had to use cables on the rear tires several times when it got too icy. I put on a set of Blizzaks late last year but never got a chance to try them out in the ice/snow.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2011, 11:12 PM   #10
///AV_330i
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Options I'm looking at pretty closely

http://www.cars.com/go/search/detail...5&aff=national

or

http://www.cars.com/go/search/detail...&aff=national#
Appreciate 0