XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

03-23-2013, 10:37 AM   #1
MxChase
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: X5 (soon)

I want to lower my X5d... your opinions and advise?

So I have a 2011 X5d with the sport package. I absolutely love the vehicle but I'm ready to start doing some things to it. I have had it now for 8 months and have tried my best to leave it alone. I don't want to get too crazy with it but I have seen a few of them that are lowered and love the look.

Here are a few questions I have...
1. I heard that some springs give these a horrible ride. I have had lowering springs on quite a few cars but no SUV's. Is there one way that you guys could suggest to lower this that will maintain the ride quality. Or, at least keep it close to the stock comfort?

2. Will it need camber adjustment / alignment once done? If so, is there enough adjustment from the factory to align it correctly?

Thanks guys. I am absolutely sure that this stuff has been covered in the past but I can't find any threads that are specific enough to answer my questions. Your help is greatly appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2013, 11:38 AM   #2
BMWX54SFV
Private
Rep
Drives: X5 Black on Black

I have one question......WHY?
The vehicle is a well engineered and designed SUV as it is. Did you ever think what will
happen if and when you are ready to trade/sell up?
These BMW's hold some value as compared to other SUV's and you will virtually kill your
possible return.
Hey, don't get me wrong, it is your vehicle and do what makes you happy. Just trying to give you a different perspective.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2013, 12:01 PM   #3
MxChase
Enlisted Member
Rep

I apologize.. I started searching a little more and found info on the V3 coilovers and the H&R springs.
Has anyone used the Eibach's? And I still haven't found out anything on the alignment.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2013, 12:03 PM   #4
MxChase
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWX54SFV View Post
I have one question......WHY?
The vehicle is a well engineered and designed SUV as it is. Did you ever think what will
happen if and when you are ready to trade/sell up?
These BMW's hold some value as compared to other SUV's and you will virtually kill your
possible return.
Hey, don't get me wrong, it is your vehicle and do what makes you happy. Just trying to give you a different perspective.
I completely understand what you're saying. I don't feel that lowering it while I own it will degrade the value. I would plan on putting the stock suspension back on when I go to sell it... which wouldn't be any time soon.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2013, 12:08 PM   #5
APLINE_997
Private
Rep
Drives: 997 Turbo

Why not well engineered doesn't mean it's for everyone.

I have no complaints about my springs and lowering. The alignment went back to specs and can be adjusted to give better wear too.

The ride quality is not like factory but close enough.

Use the 1.25" springs instead of he 2" which is too harsh. The lowering links provided by h&r says to measure roughly 66mm between the two screw posts. I would recommend 68-70mm. Should even out your rear to match the fronts.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2013, 02:21 PM   #6
MxChase
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by APLINE_997 View Post
Why not well engineered doesn't mean it's for everyone.

I have no complaints about my springs and lowering. The alignment went back to specs and can be adjusted to give better wear too.

The ride quality is not like factory but close enough.

Use the 1.25" springs instead of he 2" which is too harsh. The lowering links provided by h&r says to measure roughly 66mm between the two screw posts. I would recommend 68-70mm. Should even out your rear to match the fronts.
thanks for that info.. So they were able to adjust it back to specs using the original adjustment arms?
Appreciate 0