XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X6 Forums > General BMW X6 and X6M Forum

02-22-2012, 05:52 AM   #1
sean_b
Serial car switcher
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [10.00]
New X6 Purchase

I am planning to get a new 2013 X6M this year and I'd like to do performance center pickup in SC. Seems like a really awesome experience. Does anyone have any experience trading in a car and picking up from the performance center? How would that work with my trade?

Also, does anyone have salesman recommendation for Braman Jupiter, FL?
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2012, 07:45 AM   #2
BigBobDeuce
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW X6M

Garage List
2012 BMW X6M  [0.00]
I've done the SC pickup twice now--once for a 2009 X650i and again for a 2012 X6M--and highly recommend it. You get a carbon copy of your car to drive pretty much however you'd like on a track for 3-4 hours. For the trade, you do all the final financing etc. paperwork at your local dealer about 1-3 weeks out from your appointment in SC. Depending on the arrangement you make, you can usually keep your trade and then turn it in to your dealer shortly before heading up to SC. Last time, my dealer took my trade immediately and gave me a service loaner to drive for 2 weeks until I went to SC.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2012, 10:03 AM   #3
Samurai of 2day
Major
Rep
Drives: '22 X6M/'21 S1Krr

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBobDeuce View Post
I've done the SC pickup twice now--once for a 2009 X650i and again for a 2012 X6M--and highly recommend it. You get a carbon copy of your car to drive pretty much however you'd like on a track for 3-4 hours. For the trade, you do all the final financing etc. paperwork at your local dealer about 1-3 weeks out from your appointment in SC. Depending on the arrangement you make, you can usually keep your trade and then turn it in to your dealer shortly before heading up to SC. Last time, my dealer took my trade immediately and gave me a service loaner to drive for 2 weeks until I went to SC.
That is awesome. Go for the SC pick up if you have the means and opportinity, OP. I have been on the fence about trading in my 2009 for a 12 or 13 model and reading this makes me want to leave work and head to the dealership right now! I am desparately trying to hold out until the X6 gets a full makeover but my patience is wearing thin. May I ask what made you go for the switch after owning your '09 for only about 3-4 years? Just curious as what was the deciding factor for you. Thanks.
      02-22-2012, 02:42 PM   #4
sean_b
Serial car switcher
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [10.00]
Quote:
That is awesome news, thanks for the feedback. You made my day. I was worried I'd have to go through the hassle of selling my car to a private party.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2012, 03:50 PM   #5
sean_b
Serial car switcher
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai of 2day View Post
That is awesome. Go for the SC pick up if you have the means and opportinity, OP. I have been on the fence about trading in my 2009 for a 12 or 13 model and reading this makes me want to leave work and head to the dealership right now! I am desparately trying to hold out until the X6 gets a full makeover but my patience is wearing thin. May I ask what made you go for the switch after owning your '09 for only about 3-4 years? Just curious as what was the deciding factor for you. Thanks.
To set a baseline here, 2-3 years (to my wife's dismay) is about average for me trading in a car.

I have always wanted the X6M and I started getting the fever a few months ago when I got some scratches on the bumper and rear glass and my brakes got squeaky. I was holding out for the facelift and really wanted the new white headlights and LED taillights. So I can't say there is anything that special about the 2013 except for more of the same goodness.

I did go drive the 2012 a few weeks ago and the active steering is like butter if you haven't tried it. The force required to turn my car vs the X6M was night and day.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2012, 04:11 PM   #6
doug_999
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M/2021 992/2023 X3

Couple of things/clarifications...
1. As noted, you do the deal with your existing dealer (hopefully). Then you get the sales tax credit and what not. Your date for the PDC needs to be worked out in advance (and that is a bit tricky cause your car needs a production date before they will schedule your PDC date). So your dealer needs to work with you NOW because the last thing you want is to negotiate the deal AFTER you have ordered the new car (bend over ). So I would expect the dealer to give you a number provided you don't put more than X miles on the car from time of valuation. For a lease, you can just drop the car off at the dealer and take a cab to the airport to go get your new car. I did this. Do mention to the dealer that you need your plates back because the guy who took mine off crushed them (didn't realize I was flying down to get my car that day). They did end up ordering me new plates.
2. They do not give you a carbon copy of the car you ordered (I thought this was the case) - well YOU do, because you are ordering an M. My point is that they have X6Ms there, not 50s and not 35s. Nothing worse than test driving a X6M on the track and then getting in your 50 and going "hey, wait, I thought I ordered a fast car?"

I should add that the BEST part of PDC, is you can order from ANY dealer. I ordered my car from a dealer 5 hours away* - didn't matter cause I was picking up the car down in SC. Alas, you have a trade and so you will probably want to order from the place where you are trading in (see #1 above). Personally with the residuals of the X6 I would look at selling it outright, but that's just me

*I highly recommend Brett Midgley from Autohaus BMW in St. Louis if you ever need to order a car for PDC pickup.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2012, 04:15 PM   #7
sean_b
Serial car switcher
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by doug_999 View Post
Couple of things/clarifications...
1. As noted, you do the deal with your existing dealer (hopefully). Then you get the sales tax credit and what not. Your date for the PDC needs to be worked out in advance (and that is a bit tricky cause your car needs a production date before they will schedule your PDC date). So your dealer needs to work with you NOW because the last thing you want is to negotiate the deal AFTER you have ordered the new car (bend over ). So I would expect the dealer to give you a number provided you don't put more than X miles on the car from time of valuation. For a lease, you can just drop the car off at the dealer and take a cab to the airport to go get your new car. I did this. Do mention to the dealer that you need your plates back because the guy who took mine off crushed them (didn't realize I was flying down to get my car that day). They did end up ordering me new plates.
2. They do not give you a carbon copy of the car you ordered (I thought this was the case) - well YOU do, because you are ordering an M. My point is that they have X6Ms there, not 50s and not 35s. Nothing worse than test driving a X6M on the track and then getting in your 50 and going "hey, wait, I thought I ordered a fast car?"

I should add that the BEST part of PDC, is you can order from ANY dealer. I ordered my car from a dealer 5 hours away* - didn't matter cause I was picking up the car down in SC. Alas, you have a trade and so you will probably want to order from the place where you are trading in (see #1 above). Personally with the residuals of the X6 I would look at selling it outright, but that's just me

*I highly recommend Brett Midgley from Autohaus BMW in St. Louis if you ever need to order a car for PDC pickup.
Thanks Doug, more great info. It would probably be better for me to sell outright but I don't have a lot of time to meet with people, test drive, etc. Maybe I will reconsider. I first need to get my stock wheels put back on.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2012, 04:22 PM   #8
doug_999
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tekomni View Post
Thanks Doug, more great info. It would probably be better for me to sell outright but I don't have a lot of time to meet with people, test drive, etc. Maybe I will reconsider. I first need to get my stock wheels put back on.
I just purchased a car from an individual and I can attest, the dealer makes it soooooo much easier. There is just that darn cost...
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2012, 04:25 PM   #9
sean_b
Serial car switcher
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by doug_999 View Post
I just purchased a car from an individual and I can attest, the dealer makes it soooooo much easier. There is just that darn cost...
I think I will take it in and see what their offer is and then go from there
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2012, 05:49 PM   #10
Samurai of 2day
Major
Rep

Quote:
I think I will take it in and see what their offer is and then go from there
Good idea. get a quote from the dealer first, just to get an idea of what they would be willing to offer. Then you can play around with numbers between civilians and even against other dealers! I remember we spoke on the forum about trading up a few months ago, Tekomni. I see the call beckons to you as well. I hope all goes well with your order for a new car.

I got my eye on an X6M as well. Starting to build/price today. Nothing really grabbed my heart just yet when messing around on BMW USA though. I DID want to wait for a full LCI of the X6 but.... I'm weak, lol... only when it comes to cars though...
      02-22-2012, 06:55 PM   #11
udmx6
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: X7, i3s

I went to dealer and was trying to order 2013 X6 35i. I was told that if I will place an order, I will get X6 this Fall or next year He told me if I go to another dealer, it will be the same.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2012, 09:05 AM   #12
BigBobDeuce
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW X6M

Garage List
2012 BMW X6M  [0.00]
Tekomni, I switched from the 50i to the M for two reasons: (1) my 50i had the "old" iDrive with the DVD navigation and slow backup camera, and I really wanted the "new" iDrive with the hard drive navigation and faster operation speeds (plus the email feature, which I use a lot); and (2) I couldn't resist all the press on the M's driving style. I've not been at all dissappointed with the M (except for interior noise driving on city roads that was exactly the same on my 50i). Good luck!

Oh, when I did my first SC pickup, they did have a 50i that I drove. On the second time, I from the M. I think they generally aim to have one of each model/engine type for people to try. Both times I was there, everyone was driving exactly the model/engine they ordered (options were different). But that may not always be the case.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2012, 11:30 AM   #13
doug_999
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Oh, when I did my first SC pickup, they did have a 50i that I drove. On the second time, I from the M. I think they generally aim to have one of each model/engine type for people to try. Both times I was there, everyone was driving exactly the model/engine they ordered (options were different). But that may not always be the case.
That's because in 2009 there wasn't a M version of the X6

I think the have the top of the line available in the model range. For instance the people picking up an X5 in SC were all put in Ms as well. I really thought they were supposed to have one in each model range - the theory is that you get to try your exact car in a closed environment. Probably my biggest disappointment with the entire experience. Note the people picking up 328s were put in 335s too.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2012, 02:36 PM   #14
sean_b
Serial car switcher
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai of 2day View Post
Good idea. get a quote from the dealer first, just to get an idea of what they would be willing to offer. Then you can play around with numbers between civilians and even against other dealers! I remember we spoke on the forum about trading up a few months ago, Tekomni. I see the call beckons to you as well. I hope all goes well with your order for a new car.

I got my eye on an X6M as well. Starting to build/price today. Nothing really grabbed my heart just yet when messing around on BMW USA though. I DID want to wait for a full LCI of the X6 but.... I'm weak, lol... only when it comes to cars though...
Yeah I remember, I have been holding out too ;o

I just got my stock wheels put back on today. I am going to get over to the dealer this weekend or next week.

I will post back on what they say about the 2013 delivery timeframe. I dont understand why it would take until the fall or next year?! That seems crazy.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2012, 02:45 PM   #15
Samurai of 2day
Major
Rep

Quote:
Yeah I remember, I have been holding out too ;o

I just got my stock wheels put back on today. I am going to get over to the dealer this weekend or next week.

I will post back on what they say about the 2013 delivery timeframe. I dont understand why it would take until the fall or next year?! That seems crazy.
Hopefully you won't have to wait that long. maybe they are getting back-logged on orders for the 2013's because of the LCI options...? You know we all want that LED light upgrade if nothing else, lol.

Trolling aroung on the forum, I have read that some guys here have even been told that they wont even be able to place an order for a 2013 model until this April... so be picky about who you choose as your SA. Godspeed. let us know how things go!
      02-24-2012, 06:28 PM   #16
udmx6
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

I ordered 2013 X6 and dealer offered $1500 discount. I was told 2013 X6 is very very hard to get. How much discount did you negotiate?
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2012, 05:46 PM   #17
ddavtian
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 18 X6M, 20 X4M CE, 24 X6 M60i

Quote:
Originally Posted by udmx6 View Post
I ordered 2013 X6 and dealer offered $1500 discount. I was told 2013 X6 is very very hard to get. How much discount did you negotiate?
Discount from what price? Invoice? MSRP? I just got 2012 5.0, paid $1,600 over invoice, overall it was $4K below MSRP.

If I'm not mistaken, production of 2013 starts in April. Why is it hard to get? Your dealer applies for allocation, gets a production spot, then business as usual. 8-12 weeks overall? Will the process be different from 2012 version?
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2012, 07:15 PM   #18
udmx6
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddavtian View Post
Discount from what price? Invoice? MSRP? I just got 2012 5.0, paid $1,600 over invoice, overall it was $4K below MSRP.

If I'm not mistaken, production of 2013 starts in April. Why is it hard to get? Your dealer applies for allocation, gets a production spot, then business as usual. 8-12 weeks overall? Will the process be different from 2012 version?
I went to Otto's BMW in PA and salesman Ralph Nofsinger didn't want to take to order for 2013 X6. I was told that if I place an order, he thinks that I will get X6 this fall or maybe next year because they have some waiting lists. So I went to another dealer and placed an order. I build and it is $70,445 with Destination & Handling. They offered $1500 discount from the price, MSRP. Fair discount price in East Coast?
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2012, 08:36 PM   #19
doug_999
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by udmx6 View Post
I went to Otto's BMW in PA and salesman Ralph Nofsinger didn't want to take to order for 2013 X6. I was told that if I place an order, he thinks that I will get X6 this fall or maybe next year because they have some waiting lists. So I went to another dealer and placed an order. I build and it is $70,445 with Destination & Handling. They offered $1500 discount from the price, MSRP. Fair discount price in East Coast?
That is the starting price for many dealers. You should be able to work down from there. As noted, there are things that can affect the price including 1) does the dealer have allocation or do they need to trade for it? 2) local competition.

IF you are doing Performance Center Delivery (PDC) then you don't need to buy from your local dealer and there are a lot of dealers who will do better than $1,500 off sticker. Do remember that there is no holdback on these things and expecting to get one for cost is just not fair to the dealer especially if they are ordering it for you (yes, I know, everyone and their mother knows someone who did).

Alas, shop around and then go back to your dealer and tell them the number they need to beat and if you want to do PDC, contact Brett Midgley at Autohaus BMW in St. Louis - he was great to work with.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2012, 10:24 PM   #20
Speedlogix
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 X5 35i

Garage List
I am in West Palm Beach, and got my '11 X5 from Braman on Okeechobee. I wanted to order mine and do the PDC pick-up also, but then one like what I wanted rolled in and they gave me $2500 off to take it. Next time I think I'll find a cool dealer (no matter where they are located) who does a lot of the PDC and order from them. I've now bought 2 other cars for my business (not BMW) from a dealer in Nebraska and he ships them to me right from the factory. So much easier that way and he wants to move volume so doesn't mind giving a great discount.
      02-27-2012, 07:58 AM   #21
sean_b
Serial car switcher
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedlogix View Post
I am in West Palm Beach, and got my '11 X5 from Braman on Okeechobee. I wanted to order mine and do the PDC pick-up also, but then one like what I wanted rolled in and they gave me $2500 off to take it. Next time I think I'll find a cool dealer (no matter where they are located) who does a lot of the PDC and order from them. I've now bought 2 other cars for my business (not BMW) from a dealer in Nebraska and he ships them to me right from the factory. So much easier that way and he wants to move volume so doesn't mind giving a great discount.
I usually go to Braman okeechobee but haven't been happy with the deals they have given me. I was going to try Jupiter which is closer to me anyhow. Problem is I have a trade in but otherwise would order from out of state like you suggested.

Who is your sales advisor at Braman out of curiosity?
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2012, 11:03 PM   #22
sean_b
Serial car switcher
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [10.00]
I sold my X6 outright today. Going to be chauffeured by my wife for a while until I decide what I want next ;o
Appreciate 0