XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

11-10-2013, 01:54 PM   #1
gpgofast
Rep
Drives: 2008 328xi Sport Wagon

2011 X5 35i Vanos Bolt Failure

The wife's X5 threw the dreaded reduced power fault code last Wednesday. Got it to the dealer and after inspection, they told the wife, "there are bolts broken off in the engine, they will have to get them out of the oil pan". Did some research and discovered a not unknown Vanos Bolt Failure symptom. I haven't heard definitively yet of how many bolts broken, intake or exhaust, etc...but the service manager said they would be changing out both the exhaust and intake VANOS bolts.

How many other on this forum have had this happen? Thankfully it is still under warranty, but MECHANICAL engine problems with a BMW were one of the last issues I was concerned with. Does anyone have any advice? How common is this failure in X5's?
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2013, 08:15 AM   #2
gpgofast
Rep

Got the X5 back yesterday. They replaced both VANOS units, had to completely remove the front subframe to remove the oil pan. Dealer did NOT do a realignment, which I thought was odd. Called the service manager and he said it was not in the service instructions to perform a wheel alignment after removing the front subframe holding the front end together. Complete flush of brakes, they also had to bleed the power steering. At least got a free brake flush out of the deal.

Service order stated the vehicle was NOT in the affected range for VANOS bolt failure TSB.

Is a re-alignment NOT required in other peoples experience of a similar repair?
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2013, 11:59 AM   #3
rennis
Captain
Rep
Drives: E70 5.0 & B5 S4

broken bolts? WTF!?
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2013, 09:29 PM   #4
gpgofast
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rennis View Post
broken bolts? WTF!?
That's what I said. Broken VANOS bolts are a known issue. Last generation M3 had this issue I believe, and the 35i N55 motor also has had some issues. Like I said, this X5 was NOT one with a VIN in the correct range. Dealer found bolts from both the intake and exhaust cams. Both VANOS units replaced.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2014, 11:48 AM   #5
nozatech
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2011 bmw x6

I have 2011 X6 N55 engine failed vanos, too. Not sure about the bolt broken (dealer didn't say) but the engine stopped while driving home. Dang it! only 25k.
Night drop off at dealer and they said it should be the vanos recall.

After fix, the engine is not responsive anymore, slows, lags, drags, etc. It lags and slow response to the gas pedal position and my foot hurt after 30mins driving to keep pressing hard.

It seems the retarted valve timing so I stat monitoring with OBD2 for engine and valve timing. Not much valve advancing but a lot more restarting position. The VANOS is not working properly or dealer misaligned the gear & valve position.

I need to get service again for vanos positioning.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2014, 01:17 AM   #6
j23a45m
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E70 X5

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by nozatech View Post
I have 2011 X6 N55 engine failed vanos, too. Not sure about the bolt broken (dealer didn't say) but the engine stopped while driving home. Dang it! only 25k.
Night drop off at dealer and they said it should be the vanos recall.

After fix, the engine is not responsive anymore, slows, lags, drags, etc. It lags and slow response to the gas pedal position and my foot hurt after 30mins driving to keep pressing hard.

It seems the retarted valve timing so I stat monitoring with OBD2 for engine and valve timing. Not much valve advancing but a lot more restarting position. The VANOS is not working properly or dealer misaligned the gear & valve position.

I need to get service again for vanos positioning.
its the same issue yes the bolt broke off. this happened in my 335 about 2 months ago. odd they didn't drive it to make sure all was well
2011 BSM 335i E90 MTECH 6MT • JB4 stage 2 iso 5.3 FF wire• BMS Intake • Vishnu DP • Cyba Scoops • LUX V4 • 6000K Headlight/Fog light Philips Ultinon • Euro headlight switch • ACS roof wing • 35% tint • Performance Grilles • Misc coding • Cobb charge pipe • ///M3 fenders • 335is pedals • BC Coilovers • Vrsf 7" IC • ///M3 mirrors •
Appreciate 0