XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

11-28-2020, 05:44 PM   #1
2009x5
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

Looking for a 2nd opinion

BMW X5 2009

Symptoms:
Car was running fine, next morning, went to start and car would crank but not turn over. Tried jumping with no success, had towed to our local shop.
I'll enter the exact notes received from the shop upon testing the car:

>>>1) verified vehicle has "crank, no start" condition. Found no fuel at fuel rail. Accessed fuel pump and tested for proper power and ground supply at pump connector. Found ground supply is okay, but power supply is not present at this time. Found fuse and relay for fuel pump are okay. Tested the supply to fuel pump relay and found no ground signal is present from DME for relay operation. Scanned vehicle for relevant faults and found attached fault codes in DME:
-2A3F Valvetronic, actuator motor, power supply
-2ACB DME main relay, activation
-2AB6 control unit, internal fault, multiple output stage module

At this point, I gave permission to continue testing.

2) Gained access to DME main relay through JBE under right side of vehicle dash. Upon testing of power supply at JBE the vehicle became energized and fuel pressure returned. Found vehicle is able to start. The fusebox has an internal problem, recommend replacing. >>>

At this point I didn't feel 100% that they were sure replacing the fuse box for $647 would fix the problem, to me it felt like more of a suggestion than a solution. Also, since vehicle was running again I decided to wait to save a few pennies before going ahead with the repair.

I've now had the car home for 2 weeks and it has started up just fine in that time. However another issue has popped up and I'm wondering if this could be another symptom of the fuse box issue. While driving minimally the past 2 weeks (<5 miles a day) the radiator fan blows pretty much constantly. It will stop here and there, but for the most part it runs (average temp where I live is 60 degrees these days).
Before you say the water pump is about to blow- the water pump was replaced by the dealership less than 6 months ago due to a recall.

Clearly I'm a novice. So now I'm looking for opinions, suggestions, all of it. I'm willing to spend the money to replace the fuse box if that's the cause of all this, but I hate to throw money at something that *may* be the cause.

Feel obliged to mention I trust my repair shop, they have always been fair and honest, and willing to do the minimum. I just want to see if there are any other things we should be checking before moving ahead.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2020, 01:40 PM   #2
bhughes
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW X5, 2005 BMW 545I,

The fans coming on with ignition is not a good scenario. The ECU will turn fans on when a malfunction is determined. I the fuse box is really the culprit in your first problem, then replacing would be a good thing. If it is just one circuit involved (melted fuse)
wiring around the box with a fuse holder is the less costly alternative.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2020, 08:55 PM   #3
RL18
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d sport

Electrical issues suck... is battery stock still? I know a weak battery can wreak havoc in a bmw. Did you check for water damage anywhere? I know x5s have a reputation for clogged roof drains that will silently kill modules. I can't imagine the fuse box is "bad" it makes more sense to have a shorted wire somewhere or weak battery that is causing this issue
      11-30-2020, 09:42 AM   #4
2009x5
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

Good call on the battery, we had the battery replaced probably 4-5 months ago. It was causing major issues that were also costly to repair.
My biggest concern is shelling out the $600 for the fuse box and then being told, oops, that wasn't it after all, followed by another issue.
I love this car, but man it's killing me.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2020, 10:49 AM   #5
RL18
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2009x5 View Post
Good call on the battery, we had the battery replaced probably 4-5 months ago. It was causing major issues that were also costly to repair.
My biggest concern is shelling out the $600 for the fuse box and then being told, oops, that wasn't it after all, followed by another issue.
I love this car, but man it's killing me.
Yes the modules are very sensitive to voltage changes. I still recommend checking the roof drains for drainage though because it's possible you have one clogged and it could be shorting something. Easy enough to test, just open the sun roof and pour water into the tray and check for drainage behind front tires and in the rear near the trunk struts, you'll see it trickling out.