XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

11-03-2020, 01:29 PM   #1
digitys
Rep
Drives: 2012 X5 50i

2012 50i - Leaky Turbo Feed Lines, replace engine?

Dealer quoted roughly 3700 to replace these leaky turbo feed lines and a few coolant lines that are leaking as well.

On the flip side, as part of the class action lawsuit for this engine, they said they would throw in a new engine for roughly 5500.

I was totally on the fence about selling this car recently as it is a second car but is used for commuting with work (traveling consultant around the state so i do put on a fair amount of miles normally outside of COVID).

They are willing to cover (BMW that is) 70% of the replacement engine. My gripe here is that it sounds like it is the same engine. Meaning, they havnt really resolved the issues with burning oil and whatever other problems they are known to have.

Car has 70k miles on it currently. Besides the oil leaks, runs beautifully, looks and drives well. We are by no means broke but we do not have a lot of cash sitting around right now after a move this year and a baby. We can pay for it but its tight.

Thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2020, 02:17 PM   #2
Dawgz
2022 M4 Comp Xdrive
Rep
Drives: 2022 M4 Comp Xdrive

I'd do it..brand new engine for 5k? Why not.

Last edited by Dawgz; 11-03-2020 at 02:39 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2020, 02:49 PM   #3
T-Dubbs
Coal Troll
Rep
Drives: '14 F10 535d

what other options do you have?
      11-03-2020, 03:53 PM   #4
mitch808
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2012 X5 35i

I am in no way a financial expert! However, we all have cash woes, and different motivations.

My take is to look at the long term. Do you plan to keep the vehicle for a long time, say another 3-5yrs? Then an engine might make sense.

I assume the engine, will eliminate the hose issues? So it's $5.5k and not an $9k job right? Then hopefully the issue shouldn't return for the duration of your ownership.

You'll still have to budget $1000/yr in maintenance in general for these cars, at that age. Even if you don't spend that in a year, carry it over, as you'll need it eventually, that I can guarantee.

If the X5 isn't in the cards for the next 1-3yrs, then do your quick fixes, and cut your losses. The car loses value each day, most BMW's do...

We have a 2012 as well, for our three kids, 8, 4, and 2. That's three car seats in the back! It's a great car without a third row. but maintenance is expensive for some work... like a leaking oil pan as an example.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2020, 10:11 AM   #5
digitys
Rep

X5

Hello All,

Appreciate the feedback, all things I have been considering but certainly appreciate the help.

Going to replace the engine. I was surprised to find out that the engine replacement does not include all things have to do with the engine. Meaning, this does not include new turbos or anything bolted on to the block. However does include the water pump and a few components.

Anyways, just frustrating the answer is to replace the engine but I understand why they are suggesting it. I just worry that any of the components they are moving over will bring issues in the near future but no way of knowing that now.

Keith
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2020, 11:32 AM   #6
Dawgz
2022 M4 Comp Xdrive
Rep
Drives: 2022 M4 Comp Xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitys View Post
Hello All,

Appreciate the feedback, all things I have been considering but certainly appreciate the help.

Going to replace the engine. I was surprised to find out that the engine replacement does not include all things have to do with the engine. Meaning, this does not include new turbos or anything bolted on to the block. However does include the water pump and a few components.

Anyways, just frustrating the answer is to replace the engine but I understand why they are suggesting it. I just worry that any of the components they are moving over will bring issues in the near future but no way of knowing that now.

Keith

Good choice!
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2020, 09:33 AM   #7
digitys
Rep

Car is home!

Car came back today after the engine replacement. So far so good!

Ended up costing about $3700, BMW kicked in the rest. I would consider this a win!
Appreciate 0