XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

07-26-2016, 02:19 PM   #1
novablackm3
Captain
Rep
Drives: Performante, G05 M50i, RR SVR

Spark plug change nightmare!

So the truck had 59k miles so I brought my truck to a shop which should remain unnamed.

Before bringing the car in i made sure they were ordering the correct plugs for the S63 and not N63 as they have different heat ranges.

After having the car all day when i went to go pick it up, they told me the car was misfiring. I went back to look and saw that they ordered the correct part but the supplier provided the plugs for the n63 (non m badge bosch plugs) . They also accidentally ripped the rubber boot in the back while removing the plugs which they covered after some back and forth. Misfires on 3 & 5.

2nd day they replaced the ripped rubber boot and asked me to come pick up the car. They test drove it for 30 miles 4 different times and no CEL. After we picked up the car less than a 1/4 mile car started misfiring again , brought it back to scan and it was misfire #5, reduced power . Restarting the car seems to make the CEL & reduced power go away.

3rd day they moved the plugs from #5 and it was still misfiring only under heavy load. They also claimed to have tried new ignition coils which didnt' help.

At this point I took the car to BMW, drove 30 miles very lightly prob 20% load on the throttle , right in front of the dealer i punched the throttle to 70% and misfire again.

Dealer diagnosed it as a bad plug after incorrect torque and also replaced the ignition coil on #5.

I picked up the car the next day, drove it hard for about 20 miles and no issues. Restarted the car went for another spin and then reduced power cel again. Dropped it back at the dealer. This time they said #3 had a bad plug again incorrect torque and also replaced the ignition and coils.

FINALLY picked up my car, and the dealer confirmed the issue is now resolved. I dropped the car off w/ a full tank and got it back w/ 1/2 tank with a 8.5mpg so i know they pushed the beast.

I've seen then put another few hundred miles, the car does seem to be pulling a bit harder w/ the new plugs.

The indy shop did refund the amount i paid for the 2 new plugs & labor. The ignition coils were covered under 3rd party extended warranty.

Now that i have new plugs & injectors AA tune will be going on as soon as i get the tune back from them.