XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

03-15-2015, 08:18 AM   #1
E55 Bulldog
Private
Rep
Drives: 2014 M6 GC

Tire Questions....

hey everyone. I have searched and read a good deal on tires but still come up with a few questions. Sorry if this is a ....

Im looking for a set of new tires for my 2011 X5M and it looks like my 2 best options and price are on Nitto Motivo and Conti DWS. I live in coastal NC and don't have to worry about snow so the Motivo's might be a better go for me and they have a longer lasting tread rating.

I had the alignment pulled back into a more neutral setting because I was only getting 15-20k out of the OE tires (inner band on rears and outer band on fronts were SHOT).

Questions are:

Is there any benefit in going with a wider cross section on our tires? Would this help carry the ware better, especially on the fronts. From sharp turning it really eats up the outer band on these tires.

Im am a little worried about going from a RFT to a non-RFT. For safety, should I carry a plug kit, fix a flat, or a small compressor?

Any other thoughts or pointer would be great. thanks.
2014 M6 GC
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2015, 09:50 AM   #2
Rborrow14
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2013 M5 & M6,X5 4.8is,E39,535

RFt are good if you are running Oe Wheels as they will be able to sustain pressure and force to the rims,certain rims may not be able to withstand the impact of RFT due to they will be very stiff and can potentially crack the inner lip of the rims. transitioning from RFT-Non Rft it has its benefit, smoother feel,more comfortable. Switching to any Non RFt is always a good feeling in my view even the harsh road condition you only feel a little of it. a good patch/plug kit will be a must if you're running non RFT and portable Pump for tires will be good for you.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2015, 10:57 AM   #3
PAX5
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2012 X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by E55 Bulldog View Post
Im looking for a set of new tires for my 2011 X5M and it looks like my 2 best options and price are on Nitto Motivo and Conti DWS. I live in coastal NC and don't have to worry about snow so the Motivo's might be a better go for me and they have a longer lasting tread rating.

I had the alignment pulled back into a more neutral setting because I was only getting 15-20k out of the OE tires (inner band on rears and outer band on fronts were SHOT).

Questions are:

Is there any benefit in going with a wider cross section on our tires? Would this help carry the ware better, especially on the fronts. From sharp turning it really eats up the outer band on these tires.

Im am a little worried about going from a RFT to a non-RFT. For safety, should I carry a plug kit, fix a flat, or a small compressor?

Any other thoughts or pointer would be great. thanks.
First mistake was "pulling the alignment back into a more neutral setting" ... if by that you mean you had the wheels aligned to the middle of the factory spec as far as toe-in is concerned, you will now most certainly see INCREASED shoulder wear.

Rule #1 with for decreasing shoulder wear on FRONT or REAR: set the toe-in close to zero, but not zero! About 0.02 is ideal. This requires a skilled technician, because setting the suspension to that value will require time/patience because of drift while adjusting ...

Rule #2: set the camber on the REAR wheels to the middle of the spec: symmetrically the same value

Voila! Problem solved. Michelins or Conti's will wear the same, all other things being equal ...
      03-16-2015, 07:06 AM   #4
E55 Bulldog
Private
Rep
Drives: 2014 M6 GC

No, you are right. I use the term "neutral" lightly. I had them set it up to get the shoulder away as the main point of contact. This was a camber adjustment more than anything.

Any thoughts on tread width? Stick to stock or go wider?
2014 M6 GC
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2015, 10:15 AM   #5
PabloK
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30

Quote:
Originally Posted by E55 Bulldog View Post
No, you are right. I use the term "neutral" lightly. I had them set it up to get the shoulder away as the main point of contact. This was a camber adjustment more than anything.

Any thoughts on tread width? Stick to stock or go wider?
I would stay stock.
2017 Alpina B6
22 Ram Trx / 22 M5 CS
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2015, 12:12 PM   #6
mitch808
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2012 X5 35i

There is a slight difference in wear ratings between the Nitto Motivo's and the Continental DWS's. One claims 50k the other 60k in wear rating. But since there is no industry standardized test for this wear rating, the manufacturer makes up this number based on their own internal testing. So expect them to wear after 30-40k depending on driving habits. (I never believe manufacturer specs) ergo, buy with your wallet and not that spec in mind.

While the ride is "softer." I do not believe it's detrimental to handling. It's actually better in a lot of ways. Stiffer ≠ better handling! People that use the argument that RFT's handle better because of the sidewall are mistaken. Add 3-4psi to a non-RFT, done, but you do this for track driving and not everyday driving IMO, to prevent sidewall rollover during high G corners.

That said, tires are super subjective. With a non-RFT, you gain a bit more comfort in a less jarring ride. You shave off a lot of weight off each axle, which means better MPG and a faster reacting suspension.
You also do lose the piece of mind during a flat. But there are remedies to that. road-side assistance, fix a flat, spare tire kit, etc

Lastly, Toe is what wears tires. Not camber. The rear camber is adjustable, the front not alone without about $1k in parts and labor, and 0.5 (+/-) is the maximum adjustment. Personally about -1.0 to -1.5 camber in the rear, and spend the bucks on the -0.5 deg front camber kit, zero out the toe to as close to 0.00 as possible and you'd have the best alignment possible for an aggressively driven vehicle.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2015, 07:11 PM   #7
PAX5
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2012 X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitch808 View Post
Lastly, Toe is what wears tires. Not camber. The rear camber is adjustable, the front not alone without about $1k in parts and labor, and 0.5 (+/-) is the maximum adjustment. Personally about -1.0 to -1.5 camber in the rear, and spend the bucks on the -0.5 deg front camber kit, zero out the toe to as close to 0.00 as possible and you'd have the best alignment possible for an aggressively driven vehicle.

+++1