XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

10-10-2014, 06:31 PM   #1
jiggz
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3|F15 X5 50i

Clear Bra/paint protection questions/input

Ok all, two things…

1 - What are your thoughts on clear bra's - 3M, XPEL, etc.? Wouldn't own/drive a car without them, would like paint protection but just never had it installed/didn't want to pay for it, don't think it's necessary/it's just a car….where is everyone at on this?

2 - Bought my X5 used with a partial front clear bra (full bumper, partial hood & fenders, mirrors, door cups, and gas tank) when I took delivery. The clear bra (not sure of the brand) is yellowing according to my eyes, and my car is white where discoloring is most noticeable. I never drive the freeways and don't see much need for this sort of protection, so I'm thinking two options. Which route would you go?

1 - Remove the existing film - no more noticeable, discoloring clear bra
2 - Since I don't plan to replace it, just leave it on so there's some level of protection

I guess I'm thinking my current clear bra is so much bigger and more noticeable than a little rock chip or two I might pick up without it, the overall look would be better if I just removed it?

Appreciate any input/feedback

-Jeff
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2014, 09:12 PM   #2
theaudir8fan
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: a major headache

Where I live, PPF is a must, I won't go without them. But in Seattle it might not matter as much if you don't see much rocks on the roads in winter.

Comparing the newest versions of the film, 3M, Xpel, and Sunteh are all great choices
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2014, 10:29 PM   #3
JupiterBMW
Self Proclaimed Roundel Junkie
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 E90 M3 & '13 F25 X3

I don't have any real input Jeff, but I would say it depends on your driving style/amount. If all you do is city type driving, I wouldn't worry about it. The lack of freeway driving means you should be fine. Our X5 has a clear bra on it and while I don't mind it, if it started to discolor, I would peel it immediately. On a white vehicle, it'd surely be more noticeable.

I say leave it until you absolutely can't stand the fading... Of course, you know that the minute you remove it, you'll have a rock chip the next day... Crap always works that way!
Past: '11 E91 335is, '11 E90 M3, '10 X5M, '14 328d, '03 330i Dinan3 ZHP, '04 330i ZHP, '12 X3 35i
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2014, 12:19 PM   #4
PAX5
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2012 X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiggz View Post

.... Bought my X5 used with a partial front clear bra (full bumper, partial hood & fenders, mirrors, door cups, and gas tank) when I took delivery. The clear bra (not sure of the brand) is yellowing according to my eyes, and my car is white where discoloring is most noticeable.
Since you are not sure of the brand, it is more than likely not a 3M or equivalent ... Attach is a brochure on the 3M product and how to take care of it.

I would remove it since it is more than likely to get worse, not better. Hopefully you will not experience any paint damage when doing so ...
Attached Images
File Type: pdf 3M Paint Protection Film.pdf (121.1 KB, 215 views)
File Type: pdf Clear Bra - Paint Protection Film.pdf (665.4 KB, 188 views)
      10-15-2014, 11:53 PM   #5
jiggz
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

231 views…3 replies

So I guess hardly anyone here has film protection or knows a lick about it…
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2014, 09:49 AM   #6
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2004 3/4 ton Duramax

I'm a bit of a perfectionist, so the discoloration would start to bother me. I work from home, and rent a vehicle when I have out-of-town business.

If I were you, I'd either remove the existing clear bra and leave it as is, or replace it with new 3M/Xpel/take your pick.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2014, 01:46 PM   #7
jiggz
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by P1et View Post
I'm a bit of a perfectionist, so the discoloration would start to bother me. I work from home, and rent a vehicle when I have out-of-town business.

If I were you, I'd either remove the existing clear bra and leave it as is, or replace it with new 3M/Xpel/take your pick.
Thanks for the reply - I'm a perfectionist myself, which is why the current application is bothering me. I don't even know that it's yellowed, but it is a slightly different shade than the paint w/o the film.

I'm also considering having the front license plate holes filled in, professionally. I wish small stuff didn't bug me so much
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2014, 02:15 PM   #8
theaudir8fan
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

I think the answer your are looking for is in yourself, if it bother you take it off or replace it. There are many good shops in seattle that does ppf, you can go in to ask for advise
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2014, 02:27 PM   #9
jiggz
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by theaudir8fan View Post
I think the answer your are looking for is in yourself, if it bother you take it off or replace it. There are many good shops in seattle that does ppf, you can go in to ask for advise
Yes I have already thought about that...having a shop or two give me some input. I don't have any experience with these films so not sure what is considered aged/yellowed vs. me just being OCD.

Part of this thread was just seeking input from others on these products, but it doesn't sound like many people here have much opinion on them.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2014, 02:53 PM   #10
theaudir8fan
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

It depends on if ppl have them or not, I do and with where i live, i depend on it. I say try sunteh or xpel, if you are going to replace, may as well go for good once. Doing these films are also costly, so for ppl don't think they need it, they don't get it
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2014, 08:28 PM   #11
WallyM5
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X5M, R63 AMG, F-450

Xpel's new self healing film is excellent. I have seen it work and it's impressive. I have 3M now and it's starting to peal in places and will be replaced by Xpel.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2014, 11:05 PM   #12
windtendo
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2023 M5C

Garage List
2023 BMW M5C  [0.00]
1989 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by WallyM5 View Post
Xpel's new self healing film is excellent. I have seen it work and it's impressive. I have 3M now and it's starting to peal in places and will be replaced by Xpel.
I'd go with XPEL too. The self-healing bra is amazing, I saw a demo of it. They keyed the shit out of the film, then applied some heat to simulate the sunlight, and it was good as new.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2014, 11:56 PM   #13
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2004 3/4 ton Duramax

Does your X5 have any damage on the front end currently? Take off the clear bra and take a look. Homestly, I think you will be riled if you drive around without one and then get a stone chip. Go get some quotes and knock it out this weekend. You'll be happy, and your anxiety will be lowered.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2014, 11:49 AM   #14
jafeinst
Rep
Drives: 2013 X28i

I had a clear bra on my F25 that kept bubbling up. I just had Bau, at BMW of Dallas, spray on the new nano spray that is used on some high-end cars out of the factory(and, apparently, Nissan will start soon). It goes on clear and protects against scratches(self heals in the sun) and bugs, rocks, etc....just hose it off. 3 weeks in and absolutely no regrets!
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2015, 03:00 PM   #15
jiggz
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

So I started this thread last October and now that spring is right around the corner, so is a major detail which means I need to decide what to do with my current clear bra.

I had a top-rated detail/film shop in the Seattle area (Metropolitan detail in Bellevue for those local to me) take a look at my vehicle recently, and they confirmed my film has 1) done a great job at protecting the front end of my X5, but 2) is completely faded/yellowed/worn out. He was pretty certain it's VentureShield, which doesn't seem to be one of the preferred films?

I was quoted roughy $2500 for a full front Xpel wrap (full hood and fenders) - this seems high - thoughts? I could have a full front respray done for that!

He said given the wheel arches are a different panel from the fender, and all the intricate cutouts required, it's adds to the material and labor.

I guess the silver lining is - it's only $150 to remove it all and the paint under there has been protected all these years thanks to the prior owner.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2015, 05:18 PM   #16
goodmaj
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 E63S Wagon

I had mine done with an Xpel wrap.

- Front bumper
- Lights
- Hood
- Front fenders
- Front wheel arches
- Rocker panels
- Doors below the side molding
- Front half of the rear wheel arches
- Bottom half of the back bumper sides

Plus I added in a tint on the front windows....all for $1900
      03-12-2015, 06:53 PM   #17
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G05 45e, 997.1 & 991.1 GT3s

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiggz View Post
So I started this thread last October and now that spring is right around the corner, so is a major detail which means I need to decide what to do with my current clear bra.

I had a top-rated detail/film shop in the Seattle area (Metropolitan detail in Bellevue for those local to me) take a look at my vehicle recently, and they confirmed my film has 1) done a great job at protecting the front end of my X5, but 2) is completely faded/yellowed/worn out. He was pretty certain it's VentureShield, which doesn't seem to be one of the preferred films?

I was quoted roughy $2500 for a full front Xpel wrap (full hood and fenders) - this seems high - thoughts? I could have a full front respray done for that!

He said given the wheel arches are a different panel from the fender, and all the intricate cutouts required, it's adds to the material and labor.

I guess the silver lining is - it's only $150 to remove it all and the paint under there has been protected all these years thanks to the prior owner.
From someone who's actually installed clear bra before, my thoughts:

1. wow! $2500 sounds really high. For $3000, I can get my entire M3 wrapped. I installed a clear bra on my M3, front clip half hood, and materials alone was $400-ish, including having to cut a replacement fender b/c I fucked up. I used ventureshield though I don't think xpel is that much more expensive.

He is correct on the cutting part though. The more curves and panels you have on the car, the more times he'll need to cut the film. Every time he cuts, he creates waste materials, but again, I don't think materials costs that much more, and I don't think the X5 is significantly more materials than a M3, I would estimate maybe 20% more.

But he is incorrect that with more panels it's harder or longer to install. It's easier to install on a smaller panel than it is on a larger panel. The number of panels shouldn't exponentially increase the cost of the install. In fact it should make the install faster and smoother and require LESS labor.

2. I would remove the old bra if it bothers you a lot. I wouldn't install again, if you really don't drive highways or drive the car much or in winter time or on gravel.

3. I question whether it was originally even ventureshield. My ventureshield was installed in 2013 and it's nowhere close to discoloration. It looks as perfect as the day I installed it and I've put 18k miles on it since install. I also religiously wash and wax the clear bra along with the rest of the car at least 8 times a year.

4. I was thinking about doing the install on my E70 X5 myself. The pain part is the front bumper. But if he cuts it in half, it should be straight forward. I estimate my M3 was much harder. Also, there is much less painted bumper to cover on the X5 than the M3. I assume you're not covering the black plastic pieces?

6. You should seriously consider buying the materials precut, and installing it yourself. There are youtube videos out there, and they're pretty accurate. I did my M3, it's wasn't 100% perfect, but I've seen install on M3s with the exact same film and same cut, and theirs looks exactly like mine. If I were to do it again, I can ensure it'll look 99% professional. You'll need 3 people to do the hood though, and may take a weekend, but you can handle it for less than $800 in materials. In fact for my half hood front clip install, I was quoted $300 for precut ventureshield for my X5. And the guy is willing to work with me to help me pick my templates. If you're a perfectionist and your helpers have never done this work before, don't do it and pay for the service. Your first time will never be perfect.

All I have to say is, if you're paying $2500, it better look 1000000% perfect, and he better wash the car for you, and deliver it back to you before lunchtime.

If you're interested, send me a PM, and I can show you pics of my install.

Last edited by Flying Ace; 03-12-2015 at 07:25 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2015, 07:20 PM   #18
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G05 45e, 997.1 & 991.1 GT3s

might I add, for the cost of $2500, my guess is part of the cost is due to his installers messing up. If they're rushing to get you a same day or half day job, they may be messing up all the time, and need to recut film or they have 4 guys working on it nonstop. It's tiresome physical work that requires mental focus.

If they recut a bumper once, it'll cost them about $50-$75 in materials alone + the lost time. Question is, do you really want them to do a rush job for $2500? I guess if it looks 100% perfect, then it MIGHT be worth it.
      03-13-2015, 10:38 AM   #19
jiggz
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodmaj View Post
I had mine done with an Xpel wrap.

- Front bumper
- Lights
- Hood
- Front fenders
- Front wheel arches
- Rocker panels
- Doors below the side molding
- Front half of the rear wheel arches
- Bottom half of the back bumper sides

Plus I added in a tint on the front windows....all for $1900
Great price for all that coverage....at least compared to what I was quoted. I'm sure I could find a better deal, though not sure how much less than my 1st quote.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Ace View Post
From someone who's actually installed clear bra before, my thoughts:

2. I would remove the old bra if it bothers you a lot. I wouldn't install again, if you really don't drive highways or drive the car much or in winter time or on gravel.

6. You should seriously consider buying the materials precut, and installing it yourself. There are youtube videos out there......Your first time will never be perfect.

All I have to say is, if you're paying $2500, it better look 1000000% perfect, and he better wash the car for you, and deliver it back to you before lunchtime.
Yes, minimal highway driving for sure. Probably will remove it, and if the front starts to chip quickly I'll quickly consider a new wrap.

Definitely not doing it myself. No time, patience, or energy for that I'm a perfectionist and it wouldn't be perfect if I did it, like you mention. I would actually pay $2500 before tackling this myself, but thanks for the info!
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2015, 11:35 AM   #20
mleun481
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 X5M

Out of curiosity, do you think/ have you considered front mud flaps to help protect the rocker panels and front part of the rear wheel arch?
Rear mud flaps look hideous, but front ones don't look too bad - at least its less noticeable from the rear.
Appreciate 0