XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X6 Forums > General BMW X6 and X6M Forum

08-23-2010, 09:36 PM   #1
rainman50
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2000 540iA

Can't decide between the X6 V8 and X6M

Hello,

I'm new to this forum. I currently drive a 2000 540iA sport. I live in Michigan. I'm looking at a X6 but I can't decide between the X6 V8 and the X6M. I would drive it in the winter and summer as a daily driver. Is the ride of the "M" quite a bit harder than the X6 V8? I doubt that I will have a chance to drive the "M" version in my area since they don't even seem to have the V8 version.

Are there other characteristics that are noticeably different between the two other than the power aspect?

Any input would be appreciated.

Dave
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2010, 11:15 PM   #2
fmyvon
Rep
Drives: 2011 X6M

Hi Dave,

I've purchased an X6M recently. I would definitely recommend X6M if you really like powerful cars; it is all about the power you can get from it. Other than that, there are a few noticeable differences for the appearance (M signs), but not really a big deal. Interior is pretty much the same (M signs of course but not that different).

For my opinion, X6M is more like a show off from BMW that they can build a car which is so heavy and reliable, but super fast at the same time. It is really your choice to pay more for the engineering / technologies or not. I have a friend driving an X6 V8, he loves my car, but he wouldn't choose to pay that much more just for the power.

BTW, it does make much more noise than V8, so get ready for the looks on the road.

Good luck!

Yvon
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2010, 11:47 PM   #3
x6xdrive50i
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2010 X6 50I

I think if you are considering the V8, chances are you are after power. I would suggest you get the M.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2010, 01:16 AM   #4
LANDLORD
Turbo Engines are Fun
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 X6M Monte Carlo Blue

The M has several enhancement that I feel make it worth the premium paid, if that is what you are into.
It has better turbo's and a patented exhaust manifold feeding the turbo's which insures they spool up easily. There is also a huge air cleaner that gets cold air from the grill area. The exhaust system is designed to move a lot of air and includes two modes, one quiet and another mode which is louder and allows more airflow. The upgraded brakes are huge and extremely effective and they also have powder painted calipers. The M tuned suspension is lowered slightly and the shocks have two modes, comfort and performance. The M tuned transmission has three modes, and it rev's all the way to redline without shifting if needed. The system in sport mode does a wonderful job of keeping the engine at the right RPM and the transmission in the right gear, including blipping the throttle during downshifts. In the manual mode the shifts are very fast. You also get a launch mode in the M which is not available in the regular V8 models.
The steering wheel is covered in nice leather and includes pull style paddle shifters similar to other exotic cars. The list of included options is impressive including the heads up display that also features a M mode that shows a tach in the display along with the current gear selected. The M mode is a preset mode that is selected by a button on the steering wheel. You have some choices on what selections are made, and the overall settings of the engine, exhaust, transmission and suspension are set to performance mode. There is also included adaptive steering which varies the amount of assist and steering response depending on speed. It is nice to be able to flick in and out of the M mode and experience the difference it makes. The M dynamic mode allows more rear wheel bias and also allows the vehicle to slide or get more aggressive before the system adds correction.

Last and certainly not least is the rarity of the vehicle. There is just not many of the M versions made. There was a report of only 139 for the US market in 2010. I have constantly had people walk up to the car and say they have never seen an M version!

My car was only about $15k more than a loaded 50i at list price, and I managed to get it for about $5k less. I would not load up a 50i and pass on an M. A 50i can be a nice car and a much lower cost as long as you don't add many options, especially full leather.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2010, 09:57 AM   #5
imposss
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: M4 Comprtetion

For me v8 is useless, almost the same fuel consumption as M, but less powerful. If I were you I would get either M either V6. Good Luck
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2010, 10:32 AM   #6
dmlgc
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X6MC - 335D

I would be curious about one of his original questions "Is the ride of the "M" quite a bit harder than the X6 V8?"

I have the active drive in mine and pushing the sport button does tighten up the suspension , I image not as much as an M.

so in non performance mode does the M ride harsher than the regular V8 ?
one of the reasons I have stayed away from M versions in the past was the harsh ride.

I like the ability to push a button and get performance tuning but in normal I would not want the harshness that I have experience riding in past M models , on long trips it could be brutal.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2010, 11:15 AM   #7
LANDLORD
Turbo Engines are Fun
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 X6M Monte Carlo Blue

The ride is very comfortable in the normal mode. The shocks are balanced quite well and the freeway ride is very good. In the Sport mode, they are noticeably tighter, but not harsh. The sport mode is only needed with agressive driving in corners, and is not nearly as comfortable. The shocks are constantly adjusting, and while on the freeway, do a wonderful job of giving a comfortable ride. This is why I would not recommend changing the springs to lower the vehicle. The shocks are tuned so well to the springs and weight of the suspension, that the ride is very good.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2010, 12:08 PM   #8
imposss
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: M4 Comprtetion

In normal mode m actually softer
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2010, 07:36 PM   #9
rainman50
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2000 540iA

Thanks so much for your info and comments.

I appreciate all of your input. There have not been many, if any, X6s' where I live so most of my input will probably come from forums. I will eventually have to drive one somewhere.

Dave

Last edited by rainman50; 08-24-2010 at 09:17 PM..
Appreciate 0