XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X6 Forums > General BMW X6 and X6M Forum

08-20-2010, 08:35 AM   #1
KPB75
Banned
Rep
Drives: E90 sedan

Thumbs up Ride / Performance difference between 19" / 20" / 21" / 22" ?

Please let me know your thoughts / experience on using a 19" Vs. 20" Vs. 21" Vs 22" wheels on the X6.

I have personally driven using 19" non staggered and 20" staggered but I am considering going higher .....but worried about losing performance and or comfort...? bigger wheels more succeptible to road hazard etc...? the most I am worried about is performance....thanks in advance!
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2010, 09:13 AM   #2
Joeko23
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 X6 35i

The bigger rims you get the more things you need to upgrade/modify. If your X6 is set up for 19" and you throw on 22", you will probably need to upgrade your brakes, reprogram the speedometer, maybe do something to soften the suspension, etc... The factory X6 is designed for the tire and wheel combo, if you upgrade anything, most likely you will need to upgrade/modify other components to get maximum performance.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2010, 09:17 AM   #3
flipside99
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: iX M60

You can upgrade to 21's without having to modify anything. BMW sells 21's for the X6.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2010, 09:46 AM   #4
Joeko23
Private
Rep

I think as long as you keep overall dimension of wheel+tire the same as stock, you will be fine. So if stock you have 20" with 30 profile, then you can upgrade to 21 with lower profile, same thing with 22" with lower profile. If you decrease the profile, then this will create a much harsher ride.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2010, 10:14 AM   #5
KPB75
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joeko23 View Post
I think as long as you keep overall dimension of wheel+tire the same as stock, you will be fine. So if stock you have 20" with 30 profile, then you can upgrade to 21 with lower profile, same thing with 22" with lower profile. If you decrease the profile, then this will create a much harsher ride.
Thanks, is this something you have experienced?
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2010, 11:17 AM   #6
Joeko23
Private
Rep

I think we have all experienced this, anytime you decrease the profile or rubber of a tire this creates a stiffer/harsher ride. This is advantages for race purposes as you get crisp handling and you feel the road better, this however, becomes disadvantages for everyday driving as it crates a stiffer/harsher ride, additionally, with a stiffer ride there is more wear on the suspension as the suspension has to absorb the impact of bumps instead of the tires. I think BMW's suspension/tire/wheel package sets a very good example of having a smooth ride while not sacrificing sport handling and every day practicality.

Lower profile tires are also more susceptable to road hazards such as pot holes. If your going 80 and hit a pot hole in a low profile tire you might blow the tire, or worse bend the rim at the same time, if you have a higher profile tire, the rubber can absorb the impact of the pot hole and decreases likelyhood of blown tire and wheel damage.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2010, 11:28 AM   #7
Jazzman
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: X5d, X5 4.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joeko23 View Post
I think we have all experienced this, anytime you decrease the profile or rubber of a tire this creates a stiffer/harsher ride. This is advantages for race purposes as you get crisp handling and you feel the road better, this however, becomes disadvantages for everyday driving as it crates a stiffer/harsher ride, additionally, with a stiffer ride there is more wear on the suspension as the suspension has to absorb the impact of bumps instead of the tires. I think BMW's suspension/tire/wheel package sets a very good example of having a smooth ride while not sacrificing sport handling and every day practicality.

Lower profile tires are also more susceptable to road hazards such as pot holes. If your going 80 and hit a pot hole in a low profile tire you might blow the tire, or worse bend the rim at the same time, if you have a higher profile tire, the rubber can absorb the impact of the pot hole and decreases likelyhood of blown tire and wheel damage.
Right on. Another thing that you'll notice with increasingly lower profile tires, is that they'll tend to "follow" and cracks/irregularities in the road you may drive over. By that I mean that they'll actually track along the crack, pulling the vehicle slightly in the direction of the crack. This is especially true if you're braking (causing weight transfer to the front, increasing grip of the front tires). If you're not aware of this phenomenon, the first time it happens to you, it can be pretty scary/dangerous. I have both 18s and 20s for my X5, and can really tell the difference between the two.

If possible, you should drive a vehicle with a setup similar to what you want, before plunking down major coin for yours.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2010, 09:38 PM   #8
KPB75
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzman View Post
Right on. Another thing that you'll notice with increasingly lower profile tires, is that they'll tend to "follow" and cracks/irregularities in the road you may drive over. By that I mean that they'll actually track along the crack, pulling the vehicle slightly in the direction of the crack. This is especially true if you're braking (causing weight transfer to the front, increasing grip of the front tires). If you're not aware of this phenomenon, the first time it happens to you, it can be pretty scary/dangerous. I have both 18s and 20s for my X5, and can really tell the difference between the two.

If possible, you should drive a vehicle with a setup similar to what you want, before plunking down major coin for yours.
I think I know what you are talking about but then why does BMW Performance Package for the X6 come with 21" wheels. I am really confused why BMW would advice putting 21s on their so called "performance package"?
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2010, 12:29 AM   #9
geneatals
Ninja
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 530e

Quote:
Originally Posted by keeperofbeasts View Post
I think I know what you are talking about but then why does BMW Performance Package for the X6 come with 21" wheels. I am really confused why BMW would advice putting 21s on their so called "performance package"?
$$$$$$