XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X6 Forums > General BMW X6 and X6M Forum

06-16-2011, 12:15 AM   #23
AndreyATC
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 Tesla Model X P90DL

Garage List
^^
1. To make sure no one else takes away crown of being fastest SUV on the planet
2. Possibly they use X6M as a guiney pig to test new powertrain so it could be used in other applications?
3. BMW has enough dough to put into X6 to enhance it even further, since it's been such a success from day one

P.S. A few friends I know originally wanted to buy X5 and X3, now they're hooked on this thing
It's a disease...

Last edited by AndreyATC; 06-16-2011 at 12:20 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2011, 12:32 AM   #24
LANDLORD
Turbo Engines are Fun
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 X6M Monte Carlo Blue

The hood looks like a modified Hybrid Power Bulge type.

I believe the X6M is running about 17.4 psi. maximum boost, but that level is probably only achieved with the higher octane gas such as 93, or when mixing unleaded racing gas. More boost would make more power, but risk detonation and reliability. If they can run 21 lbs. that would really be sweet, as long as the gas can support it, and prevent detonation. The new M5 engine specifications list 95 octane as the minimum, with 98 preferred! That is race gas around here. Also, the picture of the new M5 engine shows much larger intercoolers fitted. The intercoolers may be a slight bottleneck and they are now going to address that in the next engine revision, as well as installing the new twin-scroll turbochargers. I would also guess that they may be shooting for the 600 HP level, but not much more than that.

I am happy with the power level of the M, and more power has proven to break some things. So, I would bet that there would need to be some other modifications to increase the strength of some components to be reliable at a higher power level.
Attached Images

Last edited by LANDLORD; 06-16-2011 at 01:06 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2011, 01:23 AM   #25
Bob MG
Moderating
United Arab Emirates
Rep
Drives: like a muppet

They going the Cayenne Turbo S route

Will be bigger turbos and intercoolers and a power bump of 50hp

That's my guess
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2011, 04:13 AM   #26
Capt Slow
Private
Rep
Drives: E39 530i Sport Individual

Pointless car. It will either be an LCI update with the M5 engine, or it will be a car that will end up on display with the M3 utility... Surely?
      06-16-2011, 09:16 AM   #27
AndreyATC
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by LANDLORD View Post
The hood looks like a modified Hybrid Power Bulge type.
I think you're right
I Noticed that even the hood color matching to hybrid's
They must have just took one from hybrid and taped it up a bit

Quote:
I believe the X6M is running about 17.4 psi. maximum boost, but that level is probably only achieved with the higher octane gas such as 93, or when mixing unleaded racing gas. More boost would make more power, but risk detonation and reliability. If they can run 21 lbs. that would really be sweet, as long as the gas can support it, and prevent detonation.
I believe it's already running at 21PSI

http://www.xbimmers.com/forums/showt...pressure+21psi

Quote:
The new M5 engine specifications list 95 octane as the minimum, with 98 preferred! That is race gas around here.
Could this be Euro octane spec?
If so 95 EU = 91 US and 98 EU = 93 US
It would not make sence to have M5 running other preferred fuel from the rest of BMW lineup
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2011, 09:28 AM   #28
bavarian19
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Car

Slam it, and here is your M6!

(but seriously, the X6(M) is laughable. Make it happen on the X5M)
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2011, 09:43 AM   #29
turbo8765
Captain
Rep
Drives: very fast

So what exactly is the evidence that it's make more power?
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2011, 10:21 AM   #30
SCOTT26
Major General
Rep
Drives: A big F-off German Truck.

It gets a (subtle) increase in power but will remain under 600 horse power.
With minor changes to the aerodynamics and 20" wheels.
The focus is on the car's weight and significant changes to the overall feel of the car.

X6M is hugely profitable for BMW and a huge seller in priority and emerging economies.
      06-16-2011, 10:36 AM   #31
kardboard
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 M3, 2010 135i, 2004 WRX

Garage List
2010 135i  [6.00]
2004 WRX  [8.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTT26 View Post
The focus is on the car's weight and significant changes to the overall feel of the car.

X6M is hugely profitable for BMW and a huge seller in priority and emerging economies.
So will it be a special edition X6M or an LCI?
      06-16-2011, 10:49 AM   #32
gilbertfg
Turning wrenches for the USA since 2001!
Rep
Drives: G80

Garage List
2023 BMW  [0.00]
I'll just borrow 45 ponies from a farm near by and pull my X lol....
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2011, 12:24 AM   #33
LANDLORD
Turbo Engines are Fun
United_States
Rep

Could this be Euro octane spec?
If so 95 EU = 91 US and 98 EU = 93 US
It would not make sence to have M5 running other preferred fuel from the rest of BMW lineup[/QUOTE]

Yes, I keep forgetting the Euro spec is different. Thanks for pointing that out. I did not think it made sense if those numbers were for the US.

I guess the new turbo's are more efficient, and the intercoolers will reduce the heat further, so 21 lbs. now becomes possible. I wonder why the horsepower and torque numbers are not much larger than the current M engine with these changes? I did not see the weight of the new M5 but it is surely going to feel good with this engine in there.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2011, 04:10 AM   #34
somonster
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: honda, bmw

true

Quote:
Originally Posted by wisesoul View Post
The last thing that car needed was more power. It needs less weight
totally.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2011, 02:29 PM   #35
NavM
M-Sport
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTT26 View Post

A subtle increase in horse power. Sounds like it is going to get F10 M5 engine which bumps hp by 5 and hopefylly DCT transmission to put power down. That will be an awesome truck.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2011, 11:43 AM   #36
3XTR3M3
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 AW M3 6MT

Any info on release of this special edition? After that E46 M3 took out my brothers X6M on the way to Mfest, he's ready to buy another one. I hope this is announced soon.
      06-27-2011, 08:29 AM   #37
NYCGP
WTF are you looking at?
Rep
Drives: Bandwagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3XTR3M3 View Post
Any info on release of this special edition? After that E46 M3 took out my brothers X6M on the way to Mfest, he's ready to buy another one. I hope this is announced soon.
What was done to the M? Because I have a 50 with a tune and tuned 335's can barely keep up. Maybe he should invest the 1500 in a tune instead of buying a brand new car... If he is simply looking to be King of the Road.
      06-29-2011, 02:28 PM   #38
itsme123
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 MCB F10 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCGP View Post
What was done to the M? Because I have a 50 with a tune and tuned 335's can barely keep up. Maybe he should invest the 1500 in a tune instead of buying a brand new car... If he is simply looking to be King of the Road.
Please excuse me for saying so, but a ///M is always different then a non M. It not about the speed or horse power but they are different cars. It's the intracacies of an M car and the lineage. If you just want to talk about raw performance and bang for the buck, I can find a Honda Civic that can beat exotic cars all day long for the price less then the ceramic brakes that are on them.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2011, 07:38 PM   #39
JIMX681
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2022 X5M Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsme123 View Post
Please excuse me for saying so, but a ///M is always different then a non M. It not about the speed or horse power but they are different cars. It's the intracacies of an M car and the lineage. If you just want to talk about raw performance and bang for the buck, I can find a Honda Civic that can beat exotic cars all day long for the price less then the ceramic brakes that are on them.
I have a fully loaded 50i tuned and I have no regrets about not getting the M. Other than the obvious like engine and brake differences, what other differences or "intricacies" do you speak of? Red and blue stitching?

Last edited by JIMX681; 06-29-2011 at 07:45 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2011, 01:56 AM   #40
LANDLORD
Turbo Engines are Fun
United_States
Rep

I believe the M has many enhancements over the other types including:
Different body parts on the front ,rear, and sides including the ///M fender and turning light and the painted wheel arches. Quad exhaust tips too.
Much better Brembo brakes with powder coated large front calipers,larger light weight rotors, high performance ceramic pads.
M steering wheel with shift paddles and M button to allow quick program changes.
Engine with stronger components such as a cast aluminum oil pan and pulse tuned exhaust manifold and twin scroll turbos. There is a big difference here in power delivery.
155 more Horsepower and 50 lb.ft. more torque. No tuning needed, under warranty.
Transmission with Launch control and different programming for faster shifts.
Lower ratio final drive gears, the same as the 6, allows the engine to rev faster.
Different side mirrors that are more aerodynamic.
True rarity in numbers produced for sale. This will show up in a higher resale value.
///M door sills and ///M footrest along with ///M stitching in the steering wheel and ///M on the headrests and gear selector and in the instrument cluster.
Different suspension tuning with a lower ride height and shock and antiroll programming along with a rear biased X-drive.
Heads up display is standard along with the ///M mode in the display.
Decent looking wheels that are only available on the ///M.
Large capacity air cleaner.
Carbon Fiber leather trim option
Higher governed top speed of 155 mph.
Exclusive colors available such as Monte Carlo Blue, Melbourne Red and Carbon Black.

To each his own choice, but if you want the best X6, it has got to be the ///M. People respond to this car for its many special features.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf 2956efcd533ddce04ff48f5c537db725.pdf (846.5 KB, 221 views)
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2011, 06:42 AM   #41
JIMX681
Private First Class
Rep

I have had ///M cars before, and my next car will be the new M5. I know there are differences and the ///M version of a car is the best one. I have driven both, and after lowering mine and tuning it, the difference is minimal. Mine actually handles better with the wider tires and wheels than the ///M. I bought the X6 with alot of mods in mind, which in my opinion it needed. The response I get from people that see it I don't believe would be matched by a stock X6M. This post and my previous was mainly for the fellow that compared a tuned BMW X6 to a hooked up Honda Civic... not quite.

The M5 on the other hand will get a set of 22's and I will call it a day
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2011, 08:27 AM   #42
AndreyATC
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by JIMX681 View Post
I have a fully loaded 50i tuned and I have no regrets about not getting the M. Other than the obvious like engine and brake differences, what other differences or "intricacies" do you speak of? Red and blue stitching?
LOL!
The biggest differences between these two (those you really feel) is mostly in engine and suspension
Only M rides on air suspension and has active rear diff
It rides like luxury car in normal mode and it's much-much more comfortable than 50i, but once you hit that "M" button, it transforms it to much sportier car than 50i

LANDLORD covered pretty much everything else

Edit:
Wheels are forged
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2011, 11:37 AM   #43
itsme123
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 MCB F10 M5

Well said gentleman (andrey and landlord)! To the ones who care it's there and to the ones who don't it does not matter, and they will never get it :-)
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2011, 01:43 PM   #44
JIMX681
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreyATC View Post
LOL!
The biggest differences between these two (those you really feel) is mostly in engine and suspension
Only M rides on air suspension and has active rear diff
It rides like luxury car in normal mode and it's much-much more comfortable than 50i, but once you hit that "M" button, it transforms it to much sportier car than 50i

LANDLORD covered pretty much everything else

Edit:
Wheels are forged
I said the 50i was fully loaded, and adaptive drive is one of the options, it's standard on the M.

Like I said before i've had an ///M before and will again, so trust me I get it.
Appreciate 0