XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X6 Forums > X6 Engine / Exhaust / Drivetrain Modification

03-22-2012, 07:36 AM   #1
bgpman
Registered
Rep
Drives: Red 2012 X6M

Review of ESS tune for X6M

Just thought I'd give everyone a review...

I picked up a new X6M last week (traded a 2012 Jeep SRT8 I had bought a week earlier after I finally got a chance to drive an X6M).

When I was looking at tuning options, I settled on:

- ESS
- Evolve
- Renntech

I deselected Renntech because it required shipping the ECU back and forth (even in the future for taking the car in for service).

Evolve looked reputable and had nice, defined, customer-friendly business terms for upgrades and trailing the tune, but I couldn't find any reviews of it for the X5/6M.

All 3 companies were responsive to questions, and ESS made it easy to work with them as well. I decided to go with ESS mostly because of reviews and the evidence of continued good customer support.

I got my flasher the day after I ordered. Had a bit of trouble installing the driver on my main Windows machine so I pulled out an old small netbook out and installed on it with no problem. Now I keep that in the car in case I need to reverse the tune.

It took a bit over an hour to read the base 2MB-ish from the ECU. I sent it off in the early afternoon and got the tune back at about 11pm.

Took about 20 minutes to do the upload and then I went for 15 miles of mostly gentle driving.

After 5 power cycles the check engine light cleared, but the car never threw any ECU errors that needed clearing.

The way I'd describe the car after tune (about 80 miles later) is that it is the same car - just a little more. I wouldn't say it's at 'the next level', but it's definitely faster, and I enjoy it even more now. I wasn't expecting a completely different car (looking at the dyno graphs), so I'm happy.

That said, the car started out being faster than it felt anyway. Between weight and the subdued exhaust, seeing how far back everyone at the stoplight is only a few seconds later is one of the only true ways one has of gauging speed.

So far, I'd say it's a great investment and everything is as expected, and ESS was great to work with.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2012, 10:24 AM   #2
Jess///M
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 X6M

Glad the ESS is working out for you. Did you consider Dinan's software? I went with them and had it installed by my BMW dealership.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2012, 01:26 PM   #3
Alvinlzy
Registered
Rep
Drives: Nissan 350z, X6M

How much for ESS tune set?
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2012, 03:12 PM   #4
BabyBlack
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E46 M3 & E90 335i & E71 X6M

I love my ESS tune as well. It is not such an aggressive tune, but I found it is more than enough for a daily driving, especially the mid-range torque
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2012, 12:50 PM   #5
bgpman
Registered
Rep
Drives: Red 2012 X6M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jess///M View Post
Glad the ESS is working out for you. Did you consider Dinan's software? I went with them and had it installed by my BMW dealership.
No, how much is Dinan's software? Have you done a writeup of your experiences with it? Should be easy enough to try other tunes at some point.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2012, 11:07 PM   #6
Jess///M
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 X6M

Check the Dinan site for the latest prices and installation recommendations. I got mine during one of Dinan's periodic sales. For me, the experience has been subjective (I don't track or dyno the car)--very noticeable gain in performance / agility in all modes. The X6M is already an impressive maneuvering 5000+ pound car, it's now crazy better. I am very glad I got the software. I also got the Dinan exhaust and Dinan suspension at the same time. I think the total HP gains raise the total to about/ almost 620HP. The suspension feels fantastic -- handles tight turns/curves with complete aplomb, and yet with a very comfortable ride. Got it all done last OCT at a BMW dealership. Have had absolutely no problems.
Appreciate 0