XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

01-09-2014, 04:15 PM   #1
X5 Copa
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 X5

Hakkas

Enjoying a blizzard up here in ski country! Part of that enjoyment has to do with the fact that the Nokian Hakkapeliittas I am running on my '11 X5 50i (Dinan Stage 2) are far and away the best snow tires I have ever run, and I have been in ski country for decades. Absolutely awesome!
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2014, 07:58 PM   #2
X5MFan
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5M 2012

Hear that PC is getting a good dump. I have the new Hakkas R2 on my 2012 X5M and on my Christmast drive to PC I had a chance to test them out. I am very pleased so far but I am looking to finally test them here in the PNW with the recent snow. The X5 is a really good snow car.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2014, 11:38 PM   #3
particulardude
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: LR4 | L405 SC SWB

Where did you guys get these from? I'm assuming you stuck with the staggered setup?

New wheels or just swapping tires?

How bad is it really to just swap tires instead of having two wheel tire sets?

The summers these MSports come with are not cutting it. Granted blah blah we bought them with it - however, it's insane that BMW doesn't do something logical like pair at least all seasons with the cold weather package.

Anyway, tia for a response about these Hakkas.

Instagram@particulardude
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2014, 11:50 PM   #4
Sylvan Lake V35
Vanilla Gorrilla
Canada
Rep
Drives: X5M & X5 35d

Hakka are run square 275/40 I have replica 20x9.5/20x10.5 for the diesel and they fit ok but on an 11" rim they look stretched out a bit too much for my liking. Hands down the best winter tire you can buy.

This is a typical city road where I live

01-10-2014, 12:02 AM   #5
particulardude
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

crazy... studs are illegal in Illinois but I believe the R2s are stud less

Instagram@particulardude
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2014, 12:53 AM   #6
theaudir8fan
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: a major headache

^ R2s are studless, however i do have to be honest, while i don't have first hand experience with them, a couple of my close friends switched to R2s on their cars this winter, and they actually dislike it. It is a bit too hard so it is better in the dry but less traction when in deep snow or ice. They had blizzacks WS70 and DMV1 before they made the switch and both regretted it. This is really surprising to me as I think the hakkas should be better, maybe hakkas make better studded tires than the rest. I would probably choose the hakka 8 when it comes out as my next set of winters

Sylvan, haha you picked a pic taken on one of the worst snow fall this year
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2014, 12:35 PM   #7
particulardude
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Can't find them anywhere in the US.

Only 315 winters I can find are the Pirellis.

Any thoughts on my question about switching tires back and forth on existing wheels vs a whole new wheel/tire set for winter?

Instagram@particulardude
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2014, 01:14 PM   #8
upstate650
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 650xi Gran Coupe Msport

Garage List
2020 BMW M340xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by theaudir8fan View Post
^ R2s are studless, however i do have to be honest, while i don't have first hand experience with them, a couple of my close friends switched to R2s on their cars this winter, and they actually dislike it. It is a bit too hard so it is better in the dry but less traction when in deep snow or ice. They had blizzacks WS70 and DMV1 before they made the switch and both regretted it. This is really surprising to me as I think the hakkas should be better, maybe hakkas make better studded tires than the rest. I would probably choose the hakka 8 when it comes out as my next set of winters

I haven't had the Hakka R 2, but my Hakka R's were awesome. Got 40K miles out of them on a Mustang GT convertible. I drove that thing everywhere with those tires, and they never let me down, no matter whether it was ice slush or snow. I have a hard time believing they are "hard". The Hakka R's were so soft you could stick your thumbnail into the side of them on a zero degree morning easier than you could your summer rubber on a 100 degree day. My only complaint about them was that they were so soft that they felt mushy when the car was pushed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by moabite View Post

Any thoughts on my question about switching tires back and forth on existing wheels vs a whole new wheel/tire set for winter?
You can do it, but it is bad for the tires.

Yes, no 315's i have found but the pirelli's. They have a version that can be studded, which is a good thing.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2014, 06:55 PM   #9
theaudir8fan
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:

If you want the OEM size, Pirelli are your only option, they are very popular with the cayenne crowd.

As for swapping, i know lots of people that does it and they are fine with it, but yes it isn't very good for the tires, however it weren't cause a huge problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by upstateX5M View Post
I haven't had the Hakka R 2, but my Hakka R's were awesome. Got 40K miles out of them on a Mustang GT convertible. I drove that thing everywhere with those tires, and they never let me down, no matter whether it was ice slush or snow. I have a hard time believing they are "hard". The Hakka R's were so soft you could stick your thumbnail into the side of them on a zero degree morning easier than you could your summer rubber on a 100 degree day. My only complaint about them was that they were so soft that they felt mushy when the car was pushed.
That's good to know, another friend of my with a 330 has the R as well, and he's response to them is very similar to yours. But my two other friends has the R2 on a sti engine swapped forester and a MDX, and they actually disliked it which is really shocking to me too.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2014, 09:59 PM   #10
upstate650
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 650xi Gran Coupe Msport

Garage List
2020 BMW M340xi  [0.00]
Quote:

Nokian has a dealer network on their website. Punch in your zip and find your closest one and talk to them. They are also available online from a couple internet dealers.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2014, 11:19 PM   #11
X5MFan
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5M 2012

Got my tires online. They are 255 x 50 x 19. I would not go any wider, but to each his own. The tests on the R2 are very good as say my friends in Norway who has driven a season on them. I had Dunlops and Blizzaks on my old X5 and I liked them as well. I will see some snow within the next couple of weeks and will report back.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2014, 03:28 AM   #12
Sylvan Lake V35
Vanilla Gorrilla
Canada
Rep

Quote:

In Sylvan we have had about 4 "worst snowfalls of the year" that range from 6-8" in 24hrs....not to mention Sylvan Lake, RedDeer, Edmonton and to a lesser extent with the recent warm weather Calgary all have side streets and residential streets that still look like the picture I took I heard they estimate another 30days if no more snow falls until residential streets are cleared in Calgary.
      01-11-2014, 03:46 AM   #13
theaudir8fan
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylvan Lake V35 View Post
In Sylvan we have had about 4 "worst snowfalls of the year" that range from 6-8" in 24hrs....not to mention Sylvan Lake, RedDeer, Edmonton and to a lesser extent with the recent warm weather Calgary all have side streets and residential streets that still look like the picture I took I heard they estimate another 30days if no more snow falls until residential streets are cleared in Calgary.
yea true, and with these few warm days, the cars are so dirty, and windshield got a chip already
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2014, 09:11 AM   #14
XXX5brettM
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 X5M

Quote:
yea true, and with these few warm days, the cars are so dirty, and windshield got a chip already
I purchased insurance through the dealer that covers minor dings and windshields. I am sure in Calgary that will pay for itself in a few winters easy.
You are lucky if you make it through a year without a chip or crack here.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2014, 10:52 AM   #15
Sylvan Lake V35
Vanilla Gorrilla
Canada
Rep

Quote:
"F" me I got one too, I have been cranky about it....I got it filled but it had already started to spread $700 for a new windshield with HUD (dynasty auto glass) I do lots of deer foot and hi way 2 driving so I will likely get lots. I also looked into clear plex which is a kind of clear bra for the windshield but it sounds like it's more for southern states.

On a side note I got my catless down pipes on and you can sure hear the turbos whistle now, but with the Eisenmann exhaust it might be a little loud....