XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

06-27-2016, 10:15 AM   #1
Neeks55
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW X6 M

Need help!

Have my 2011 X6m and when I give gas only on accelerating I get this weird whistle/whining noise. Does not do it at idle or even in park/neutral when I raise rpms only when I'm in drive and accelerating.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2016, 10:26 AM   #2
mirob
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3CX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neeks55 View Post
Have my 2011 X6m and when I give gas only on accelerating I get this weird whistle/whining noise. Does not do it at idle or even in park/neutral when I raise rpms only when I'm in drive and accelerating.
There is a difference between a whistle and whine sound...I've had both before...

The whine, sounding like a pulley going bad or a supercharger, I've narrowed down to the oil pump...had it since I bought it...after research found out that a lot of the vehicles have it...BMW deemed it normal...however, it would whine in park/neutral when you feather the throttle, as well as when accelerating, so may be unrelated to yours...

When the vehicle was whistling (only under load) I tracked it back to a cracked vacuum line...not cracked enough to cause malfunction but enough to make the whistling sound...

You need to be sure if the vehicle is whistling, whining, or both...hope this helps...
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2016, 11:04 AM   #3
mkPOTO
Mr. Nice Says Hello
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 | X5 xdrive 35i MSport

Garage List
Quote:
any video you can take? Also, I am in chicago and can take a listen if you need.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2016, 11:05 AM   #4
Neeks55
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkPOTO
Quote:
any video you can take? Also, I am in chicago and can take a listen if you need.
My dad owns a BMW shop in Morton grove. But before having him look at it. I want to see if this has happened to anyone before
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2016, 11:06 AM   #5
Neeks55
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirob
Quote:
There is a difference between a whistle and whine sound...I've had both before...

The whine, sounding like a pulley going bad or a supercharger, I've narrowed down to the oil pump...had it since I bought it...after research found out that a lot of the vehicles have it...BMW deemed it normal...however, it would whine in park/neutral when you feather the throttle, as well as when accelerating, so may be unrelated to yours...

When the vehicle was whistling (only under load) I tracked it back to a cracked vacuum line...not cracked enough to cause malfunction but enough to make the whistling sound...

You need to be sure if the vehicle is whistling, whining, or both...hope this helps...
It's more of a whistle under load. Definitely not a pulley
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2016, 12:32 PM   #6
mirob
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
In that case I'd start with a boost leak test...
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2016, 12:34 PM   #7
Neeks55
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirob
Quote:
In that case I'd start with a boost leak test...
Smoked the vehicle. Seems to be a leak from the crankcase ventilation hose on drivers side
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2016, 01:24 PM   #8
mirob
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Smoked the vehicle. Seems to be a leak from the crankcase ventilation hose on drivers side
Sometimes those leaks can be hard to detect even with a test. If you're doing the work yourself be careful replacing the hose, especially if it's connected to other ones...brittle as hell...

Appreciate 0