XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X6 Forums > General BMW X6 and X6M Forum

12-05-2010, 12:19 AM   #1
zerrantoss
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 X6

Automatic Headlamp Control

Ever since I bought the X6 several weeks ago, I have always set the headlamp setting to automatic.

Recently I noticed that my low beams are always on, regardless of the ambient brightness. It turns on even if it's running under a clear-sky sunny day. The "Automatic" Headlamp Control just doesn't seem to automatic at all..

Have you guys run into this kind of problem? Is it possible that I have a broken light sensor? Where is the sensor located?

Thanks in advance for answering!
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2010, 05:21 AM   #2
jouzef2
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: x6 5.0i

No, i think it's normal ..
cuz me also when i put the light in automatic mode, & when the light is on (in the night) , and when it became morning , the light still on & did not switch off regardless of the ambient brightness , i think the sensor is not quite enough sensitive
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2010, 12:51 PM   #3
Ikendiken
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '13 E92 M3

I think the sensor is "sticky" on. What I notice is that when driving before the sun rises, the lights remain on even after it has become quiet bright outside. But if I park the car, the lights are off when I start back up.

Also they kick on pretty quick when driving into a garage, for instance, but delay a bit turning back off when leaving the garage.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2010, 06:55 PM   #4
bobbydog
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

In Canada is the law to have day time running lights...It's not required in the US so if Canadians import a car from the US it will have to be fitted with day time running lights.
So it's normal in Canada!
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2010, 12:22 AM   #5
GeraG
Rep
Drives: X5, X6

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerrantoss View Post
Ever since I bought the X6 several weeks ago, I have always set the headlamp setting to automatic.

Recently I noticed that my low beams are always on, regardless of the ambient brightness. It turns on even if it's running under a clear-sky sunny day. The "Automatic" Headlamp Control just doesn't seem to automatic at all..

Have you guys run into this kind of problem? Is it possible that I have a broken light sensor? Where is the sensor located?

Thanks in advance for answering!
Have you checked your day lights setting in the "vehicle setting" menu? It may well be that your day time lights are set to “on”.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2010, 10:41 AM   #6
zerrantoss
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbydog View Post
In Canada is the law to have day time running lights...It's not required in the US so if Canadians import a car from the US it will have to be fitted with day time running lights.
So it's normal in Canada!
Yes, in Canada it is the law to have day time running lights. However, the DRL are the 4 rings of angel eyes, not the HID low beam. My problem is that the low beams are constantly on even in the sunlight
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2010, 12:18 PM   #7
Sunstreaker
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X6 35D

Get the BMW dealer to change the sensitivity, I told them the problem and they fixed it within the hour of booking it in.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2010, 12:27 PM   #8
zerrantoss
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunstreaker View Post
Get the BMW dealer to change the sensitivity, I told them the problem and they fixed it within the hour of booking it in.
Thanks. I will bring it in for the adjustment.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2010, 10:06 AM   #9
zerrantoss
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunstreaker View Post
I brought the car to the dealer yesterday. The mechanic told me that he couldn't do anything. There is no way to adjust or calibrate the sensor's sensitivity...

He said that I will have to manually turn the knob if I don't want the headlights on.

According to your solution, I think he is BSing me...
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2010, 03:17 AM   #10
X6 MBN
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerrantoss View Post
I brought the car to the dealer yesterday. The mechanic told me that he couldn't do anything. There is no way to adjust or calibrate the sensor's sensitivity...

He said that I will have to manually turn the knob if I don't want the headlights on.

According to your solution, I think he is BSing me...
Yes he is, lots of people on this forum have had the sensitivity adjusted.
Appreciate 0