XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Health, Fitness, Martial Arts, and Nutrition

04-21-2016, 01:46 PM   #1145
Verbiage
Dismembered Member
Jamaica
Rep
Drives: F80 ZCP 6MT, R55 Clubman S 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJP86 View Post
Does NO Explode make you jittery? That's one of the things that happens to me with caffeine pre-workout. Doesn't seem to matter when I drink it otherwise, but I hate that feeling. I heard that product can produce the jittery feeling.

+1 on adding the raw creatine to the shake, that's what I planned on doing, again, just haven't decided on which one I wanted. I'll probably just take your recommendation on the BCAA's.

Besides NO and the BCAA you told me about, what are the other supplement brands you take?
It can make you jittery (as a lot of high concentrations of caffeine have the potential to do) as well as itchy skin surfaces. Lolz. I personally have never experienced any of these things, but I do feel 10x more alert and...awake. Definitely a huge boost for my cardio routines, and even the pump. I dunno, I just get excited thinking about drinking that stuff. My body also has a high tolerance for most things, so a lot of the side effects people claim to get from different stuff, I never/rarely get.

You'll love the effect the BCAA's have, I mix with 8oz of water and drink it alongside my protein with dinner.

I take Animal, heard of them? Animal Flex, it's a great joint lubrication complex. I started a thread on joint supplements earlier this year because I had some pretty bad pain, but the Flex is awesome. I also take Mytrition Men's Sport Vitamin packs from Vitamin Shoppe, gives me the awesome neon pee.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleWede View Post
I have BCAA (can't recall the name at this point) that I take before soccer, and usually the next day. I was warned about them not allowing sleep, so have been reluctant to take in the evenings which is when I do all my workouts except the weekend.

Some mornings, especially after soccer, I have a mixture of SuperGreen, Muscletech AminoBuild, and a third small bit of something I used to add to AminoBuild to help with some T-boost (#50timesaroundthesun) Whenever I get home from nightly workouts, I grab a carton of musclemilk for an extra 30g protein.
Really? Where did you see they didn't allow sleep? There's no caffeine in most of them lol, unless it's your liver being jealous of not being able to distribute your aminos.

I agree with DJ, Muscletech makes some good stuff but there are better alternatives. Muscle Pharm is absolutely fantastic.

My delivery experience and beach photoshoot here.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2016, 01:51 PM   #1146
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verbiage View Post
Really? Where did you see they didn't allow sleep? There's no caffeine in most of them lol, unless it's your liver being jealous of not being able to distribute your aminos.
The guy who got me onto them (he's been around the sun more than me, and still does ultra-marathons). He's the one who got me into the idea of really feeding the muscles soon after the workouts. The next day used to be HELL, but not as bad any more.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2016, 02:02 PM   #1147
Verbiage
Dismembered Member
Jamaica
Rep

Quote:
The guy who got me onto them (he's been around the sun more than me, and still does ultra-marathons). He's the one who got me into the idea of really feeding the muscles soon after the workouts. The next day used to be HELL, but not as bad any more.
I see! He's that old, huh? Haha.

I have never run into a lack of sleep post-conditioning and refueling. If anything, I sleep better and am more energized the following day.

Appreciate 1
      04-21-2016, 03:09 PM   #1148
FType22
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 e92 M3

Quote:
It can make you jittery (as a lot of high concentrations of caffeine have the potential to do) as well as itchy skin surfaces. Lolz. I personally have never experienced any of these things, but I do feel 10x more alert and...awake. Definitely a huge boost for my cardio routines, and even the pump. I dunno, I just get excited thinking about drinking that stuff. My body also has a high tolerance for most things, so a lot of the side effects people claim to get from different stuff, I never/rarely get.

You'll love the effect the BCAA's have, I mix with 8oz of water and drink it alongside my protein with dinner.

I take Animal, heard of them? Animal Flex, it's a great joint lubrication complex. I started a thread on joint supplements earlier this year because I had some pretty bad pain, but the Flex is awesome. I also take Mytrition Men's Sport Vitamin packs from Vitamin Shoppe, gives me the awesome neon pee.
LOL neon pee! Radioactive pee! One of my friends used to take animal pak back in the day, so I've heard of them. My joints actually started feeling much better after adding butter to my rice when I was boiling it. Odd but true!

As for your other recco's on the supplements, I'm going to go ahead and try them out. Maybe not the N.O. because I feel like I'll be one of those people itching with a sore stomach and having every side effect, but def for the other things, thank you for the knowledge bomb
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2016, 03:41 PM   #1149
Verbiage
Dismembered Member
Jamaica
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJP86
LOL neon pee! Radioactive pee! One of my friends used to take animal pak back in the day, so I've heard of them. My joints actually started feeling much better after adding butter to my rice when I was boiling it. Odd but true!

As for your other recco's on the supplements, I'm going to go ahead and try them out. Maybe not the N.O. because I feel like I'll be one of those people itching with a sore stomach and having every side effect, but def for the other things, thank you for the knowledge bomb
Of course man! Not a problem, give them a shot and let me know what you think. Of course it may take a little while to notice some changes, but they're definitely there!

Appreciate 0
      04-22-2016, 10:24 AM   #1150
UncleWede
United_States
Rep

Quote:

I agree with DJ, Muscletech makes some good stuff but there are better alternatives. Muscle Pharm is absolutely fantastic.
I picked Muscletech because I could stand the taste. Doesn't do anybody any good sitting in the container, have to get it down my throat.
The other thing in my mixture is d-Aspartic acid. I'm off to have one now for soccer tonight
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2016, 05:53 PM   #1151
Verbiage
Dismembered Member
Jamaica
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleWede
Quote:

I picked Muscletech because I could stand the taste. Doesn't do anybody any good sitting in the container, have to get it down my throat.
The other thing in my mixture is d-Aspartic acid. I'm off to have one now for soccer tonight
Break a leg tonight!

Appreciate 0
      04-22-2016, 11:37 PM   #1152
UncleWede
United_States
Rep

When I turned over the keeper duties at half we trailed 2-1. Final we lost 6-2
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2016, 08:52 AM   #1153
Verbiage
Dismembered Member
Jamaica
Rep

Quote:
When I turned over the keeper duties at half we trailed 2-1. Final we lost 6-2

Sounds like keeper duties needed...keeping.

Appreciate 0
      04-25-2016, 10:08 AM   #1154
UncleWede
United_States
Rep

He took a LOT more uncontested shots than I did. I prefer to keep first half when defense is still fresh, then when I'm called to run the second half everybody else is a bit winded already.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2016, 09:36 AM   #1155
Mr Tonka
is probably out riding.
United_States
Rep
Drives: Something Italian

Any of you guys have any experience with Dimethylglycine? Use it or know of people who do?

An acquaintance of mine who is an elite level cyclist said he takes one of these pills before every ride and it keeps his HR lower during intervals or hill climbs.

I'd never heard of it.
      05-02-2016, 09:38 AM   #1156
Mr Tonka
is probably out riding.
United_States
Rep

Quote:
No problem. And I work out 6 times a week, always around 4:30 or so. I've taken things seriously over the past year, here is a pic from 2014 versus one I took about a week ago.
Your head looks a lot bigger in the picture from last week. I guess that low body fat percentage made your head bigger.
      05-02-2016, 09:40 AM   #1157
Verbiage
Dismembered Member
Jamaica
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Tonka View Post
Your head looks a lot bigger in the picture from last week. I guess that low body fat percentage made your head bigger.
Dammit, too many sigs to choose from!!!

Appreciate 0
      05-02-2016, 09:44 AM   #1158
Mr Tonka
is probably out riding.
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Dammit, too many sigs to choose from!!!
You're very.... vascular.

Your head exploding over which quote to put in your sig......
      05-02-2016, 09:53 AM   #1159
Verbiage
Dismembered Member
Jamaica
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Tonka View Post
You're very.... vascular.

Your head exploding over which quote to put in your sig......
I'm just trying to be a mini 1MOREMOD.

Does your blood smell different when you're healthier? I guess I just imagined my head exploding here at my desk, and what my colleagues would be subjected to.

Appreciate 1
      05-06-2016, 04:16 PM   #1160
rjd598
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 340i

Garage List
2016 BMW 340i  [0.00]
just read up on bcaa's and decided to order some for muscle recovery. anyone notice any fat loss while taking them or is it in part due to the fact that your muscles are recovering faster and you have more energy to be more productive in the gym?
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2016, 08:06 PM   #1161
gthal
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjd598 View Post
just read up on bcaa's and decided to order some for muscle recovery. anyone notice any fat loss while taking them or is it in part due to the fact that your muscles are recovering faster and you have more energy to be more productive in the gym?
No noticeable fat loss in my experience. I generally think BCAA's are overrated and oversold. I do believe they help in recovery and can have a place when used while training in a calorie deficit (i.e. cutting) but the only really important ingredient is leucine and you need to have enough to make it useful.

Having said that, I will throw a scoop in my water when I work out on the off chance it aids in recovery but mainly because I like the taste so it's almost like drinking kool-aid
2015 M4 | Austin Yellow | DCT
2012 MB C63AMG | 2011 E92 M3 | 2010 E92 M3
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2016, 10:13 AM   #1162
rjd598
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 340i

Garage List
2016 BMW 340i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by gthal View Post
No noticeable fat loss in my experience. I generally think BCAA's are overrated and oversold. I do believe they help in recovery and can have a place when used while training in a calorie deficit (i.e. cutting) but the only really important ingredient is leucine and you need to have enough to make it useful.

Having said that, I will throw a scoop in my water when I work out on the off chance it aids in recovery but mainly because I like the taste so it's almost like drinking kool-aid
I've read tons of reviews where people say it's helped in muscle recovery, which is exactly what I'm looking for. I know the other results are inconsistent and probably nonexistent!

Switching gears, but what is everyone's thought on intermittent fasting? Just read a bunch of articles on it and it's interesting to say the least. I'm not interested in a "diet", but it's kind of amazing that having certain windows of caloric intake can actually benefit you whereas most people see bodybuilders eat several meals a day. Just thought it was interesting and as I'm getting more into fitness I like to do more and more research.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2016, 11:17 AM   #1163
overcoil
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i 6spd

Think it's good to fast every once and awhile.
Primarily it helps me get off sugar if I've been indulging too much.
I'm pretty sensitive to what I eat. Seems like a high intake salt or sugar meal hurts my concentration. So a fast actually makes me feel calm or extremely relaxed.
I like to do a run after fasting, not much success lifting after fast but if I eat super clean after a fast I have more energy and almost an urge to get up at 5:00 a.m. to get to the gym.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2016, 02:25 PM   #1164
UncleWede
United_States
Rep

Friday I played soccer. My brother was BUGGING for me to come join his team on Saturday. Friday night I slept HORRIBLY, my legs were aching something fierce. Saturday afternoon I played that second game, and my groin was really sore. After the game I went to get mom some books for mother's day, and also stopped in and picked up a new grape BCAA mix. Only drank that before bed. Woke up Sunday morning and had a bit of soreness in my tendons, but the muscles were much better. Had a second serving of the new BCAA, and things were nearly normal by the end of the day.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2016, 06:07 AM   #1165
Verbiage
Dismembered Member
Jamaica
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gthal View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjd598 View Post
I've read tons of reviews where people say it's helped in muscle recovery, which is exactly what I'm looking for. I know the other results are inconsistent and probably nonexistent!

Switching gears, but what is everyone's thought on intermittent fasting? Just read a bunch of articles on it and it's interesting to say the least. I'm not interested in a "diet", but it's kind of amazing that having certain windows of caloric intake can actually benefit you whereas most people see bodybuilders eat several meals a day. Just thought it was interesting and as I'm getting more into fitness I like to do more and more research.
BCAA's, just like any other form of supplementation, are best used as part of a recovery group/stack along with adequate whey/casein, creatine/beta-alanine, multivitamin, etc. I have noticed immediate and significant changes after implementing a daily dose of BCAA's, especially during my recovery weeks when I will go without training for a specified amount of time. It assists with the creation of lean muscle and tissue recovery, and not the accelerated loss of fat.

Intermittent fasting is helpful, but largely circumstantial based on your physical state and conditioning frequency. I've personally never been on either extreme; never felt the need to eat every 2-3 hours, snack throughout the day, or severely cut calories. In fact, it is most beneficial to focus your meals and caloric intake bulk within 2-3 meals a day, and supplement whatever your deficit may be with intermittent snacking; this can't be overdone however, as you will end up upside down without knowing it. Tracking calories can assist with avoiding of this.

Appreciate 0
      05-10-2016, 06:09 AM   #1166
Verbiage
Dismembered Member
Jamaica
Rep

Quote:
Friday I played soccer. My brother was BUGGING for me to come join his team on Saturday. Friday night I slept HORRIBLY, my legs were aching something fierce. Saturday afternoon I played that second game, and my groin was really sore. After the game I went to get mom some books for mother's day, and also stopped in and picked up a new grape BCAA mix. Only drank that before bed. Woke up Sunday morning and had a bit of soreness in my tendons, but the muscles were much better. Had a second serving of the new BCAA, and things were nearly normal by the end of the day.
Magic, gramps! Magic.

Appreciate 0