XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X6 Forums > General BMW X6 and X6M Forum

07-02-2010, 09:13 AM   #1
X6 MBN
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M5

Rusty Callipers!!!

Had my car for two weeks now (pre-owned) and already have had to have a huge screw taken out of the tyre. Whilst at the tyre fitters and with the wheel off I took this photo of the brake calliper... pretty rusty or what?!?!

Is this common with the X6 and if so has anyone found a solution? My last car had painted red callipers which never rusted and looked pretty good too.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-02-2010, 09:31 AM   #2
chuck92103
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i

Not normal.

It looks to me the car had been in a flood or was parked in a flooded area for a while.

Did you inspect the undercarriage for additional rust spots?
      07-02-2010, 09:57 AM   #3
X6 MBN
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

I have looked under the vehicle and there are no additional rust spots, it just appears to be on all four of the brake callipers.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2010, 10:12 AM   #4
X6 MBN
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Just spoken to my dealer and sent him the photo, the attached is the BMW response.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf alloy wheel.pdf (160.2 KB, 1606 views)
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2010, 02:06 PM   #5
itsme123
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 MCB F10 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by X6 MBN View Post
Just spoken to my dealer and sent him the photo, the attached is the BMW response.
Wow....BMW's response is not acceptable. Did they even look at the pic? The response from BMW is about the Disc/Rotor/Hub, which will rust and is normal. You or your dealer need to reiterate that it is the brake calipers that is rusting and not the disc as they thought. I have a feeling the pic never made it to BMW.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2010, 02:16 PM   #6
archwerks
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: x6 3.5i VR

Bureaucratic response.

Quote:
"...to establish a coating of surface corrosion ". Yes iron oxide establish itself in order to protect the layer of iron below it from corrosion. We call that RUST !
Of course if the car was driven in heavily salted/de-iced roads during the winter, & the previous owner never rinsed the wheels thoroughly, & /or used something very acidic to get rid of baked on brake dust, then this could certainly accelerated the designed obsolescence.

What year & mileage is the vehicle & from which area of the country is it?
Is the rust on the calipers visible thru the wheel spokes ?? Is it just the front pair or front & back?

Last edited by archwerks; 07-02-2010 at 02:29 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2010, 03:35 PM   #7
Reznick
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 M3 ,01 330,M240?

I'm not trying to be a jerk, but do you realize that there is very LITTLE rust on the caliper itself? A small wire brush would take that right off. Once its clean you could just buy some caliper paint and spray a quick coat on it. 90 % of the rust you are seeing is the backing on the brake PAD. Those will always show rust very fast if its been driven in the salt and snow
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2010, 07:03 PM   #8
GJM
Xdrive
Australia
Rep
Drives: X6 35d/X5 3d

MBN,

Looks like road salt or similar has caused the rusting. We are at the beach every weekend & have no rust on or near the calipers.

Its probably superficial, but go back to BMW and ask for a more satisfactory response.
      07-03-2010, 01:13 AM   #9
teagueAMX
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Some are road worthy

Quote:
Had my car for two weeks now (pre-owned) and already have had to have a huge screw taken out of the tyre. Whilst at the tyre fitters and with the wheel off I took this photo of the brake calliper... pretty rusty or what?!?!

Is this common with the X6 and if so has anyone found a solution? My last car had painted red callipers which never rusted and looked pretty good too.
It's not defective per se, but the rust is ugly which indeed is disappointing considering your calipers are clearly visible between the wheel spokes. Given the superficial nature of the problem you likely won't get far with replacements, and what for - the new ones do the same thing. Other manufactures calipers don't tend to do that.
"Political correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional liberal minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end".-- Unknown

Appreciate 0
      07-03-2010, 01:22 AM   #10
geneatals
Ninja
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 530e

technically can be "normal", as you stated you have a new "to you" bmw, so depending on climate and road conditions rust can occur even with low mileage/recent models

nothing a quick scrubbing with a caliper brush won't remedy....some even go so far as to buy a caliper paint kit to use after they clean the calipers...
      07-03-2010, 02:45 AM   #11
archwerks
Captain
Canada
Rep

Sure looks ugly.

The caliper would be visible thru the wheel spokes. It should NOT be even if roads are heavily salted.
Previous owner must have used something caustic to clean off brake dust, or else BMW have a problem ! if their German car cannot withstand European road salt for 2 winters! (X6 came out in '08, so none r more than 2 yrs. old)
Previous owner must have had a boat or a house by the beach, or close to salt water.
BMW dealer should have replace those calipers as part pf "reconditioning " of preowned vehicles.
Rust to metal is like skin cancer for humans!
I'd thoroughly Examine the undercarriage of that car. There will be rust elsewhere.
Totally UNACCEPTABLE in my book. Somethings' not run properly @ the preowned dept. of that dealer, Somebody ought to get fired or demoted!

Just imagine a 2 year old BMW x6 coming to a stop @ a red lite only to reveal RUST behind the wheel spokes !!
Sure would be good advertising for MB, Porsche, Audi, Lexus, Infinity.
Reminds me of Jaguar a few years ago when I saw rust on their showroom display! I was out of there in 1 minute flat !
Did they think I'd buy their cars if their showroom display have RUST anywhere??
Do they think people r blind ??

Last edited by archwerks; 07-03-2010 at 03:16 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2010, 05:26 PM   #12
X6 MBN
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Will go to my local dealer this week and jump up and down. Will update the board with results.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2010, 03:42 AM   #13
X6Amy
Private
Rep
Drives: X6 40d

Please do, it looks awful
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2010, 07:16 AM   #14
Skywagon
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X6 3.5

When I went from my 20 inch wheels to 21's I revealed the same problem because the 21's had considerably less metal to cover the flaw. Apparently BMW simply doesn't paint their calipers, or their hubs either. (cost cutting?) Wife drives a Cayenne, nicely painted calibers, no problems. Even have 'Porsche' painted on them. Took my X6 to an independent auto shop and had them painted, hubs too. Obviously the preparation is important. Had them use high temperature caliper paint. Been about 5 months now and still look good. If I recall properly they charged me about $230. US. Somewhere, a few months ago, there was a thread called 'Painting Calipers' on this site.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2010, 01:47 PM   #15
LANDLORD
Turbo Engines are Fun
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 X6M Monte Carlo Blue

The X6M has powder painted black calipers front and rear along with aluminum rotor hats. I am not sure what they do with the pads, but I don't see any rust as of yet.

Salty roads are the worst possible condition for a vehicle in my opinion.
Attached Images

Last edited by LANDLORD; 07-05-2010 at 02:24 PM.. Reason: add photo
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2010, 11:39 PM   #16
teagueAMX
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Some are road worthy

Quote:
Originally Posted by LANDLORD View Post
The X6M has powder painted black calipers front and rear along with aluminum rotor hats. I am not sure what they do with the pads, but I don't see any rust as of yet.

Those certainly look better than X6 MBN's, but it's amazing that BMW didn't spend an extra $20 or $30 US (cost at manufacturing) for some drilled rotors. We're talking about an $80k car! I suppose they're afraid of the great expense when they have to replace them?
"Political correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional liberal minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end".-- Unknown

Appreciate 0
      07-06-2010, 02:03 AM   #17
archwerks
Captain
Canada
Rep

Great Car Show Display.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LANDLORD View Post

But I doubt there's any resemblance to what u get.
I mean look @ the edge side of the tailgate, does it have clearcoat on it?
Somethings you marvel at, the longer u own it & discover how it's made,
BMW cars?? Sadly, I don't think is one of those things.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2010, 01:30 PM   #18
X6 MBN
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Update: The Service Manager (not at my local dealer, but part of the group dealership I had the car from) told me it was a natural occurrence because the front brake calipers got really hot, then wet, then would naturally start to rust - they all do it he said. So, I asked him to show me any car at the dealership with the same problem...

It's booked in for next Wednesday to have them replaced!

I think the moral is if you're going to b******t someone then make sure you're not standing on a forecourt with 50 or so cars without rusty brake calipers!!

Thanks to everyone who replied.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2010, 01:40 PM   #19
Skywagon
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X6 3.5

X6 MBN,
I suggest, if you can, you obtain the calipers and take them somewhere to be properly painted before they are installed. They are clean and much more easily painted now, when new. Otherwise, I'd wager in six months you'll be facing the same problem.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2010, 10:37 PM   #20
archwerks
Captain
Canada
Rep

Examine the car!

Quote:
Update: The Service Manager (not at my local dealer, but part of the group dealership I had the car from) told me it was a natural occurrence because the front brake calipers got really hot, then wet, then would naturally start to rust - they all do it he said. So, I asked him to show me any car at the dealership with the same problem...

It's booked in for next Wednesday to have them replaced!

I think the moral is if you're going to b******t someone then make sure you're not standing on a forecourt with 50 or so cars without rusty brake calipers!!

Thanks to everyone who replied.
Take a close look @ the rest of the underside when the car is on the hoist!

Previous owner may have been hauling boats out of salt water !

Back in the 70's & 80's cars like MB were dipped in anti-rust material before painting a number of coats.

This is 2008-2010! & they can't stop rust from starting in the first 2 years on the road? We r not talking about the steel hull of a ship sitting constantly in salt water.
I see in a tv commercial even Hyundai is dipping their new Sonata body in primer before painting.
If rust appears so early on parts that is exposed to road salt in only 2 winters something's wrong.

Last edited by archwerks; 07-07-2010 at 10:55 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2010, 12:17 PM   #21
neb2000
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW X6 50i

Paint them red!

My vehicle was delivered with rusty calipers. In the end, I painted them red. Expensive but they look great & it makes my vehicle unique.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0